Stewart with the Boston Red Sox
September 28, 1986 |
Wichita Falls, Texas
|MLB: June 16, 2011, for the Toronto Blue Jays|
|KBO: June 23, 2015, for the NC Dinos|
(through 2012 season)
|Earned run average||6.82|
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||3.73|
Zachary Robert Stewart (born September 28, 1986) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Toronto Blue Jays, Chicago White Sox, and Boston Red Sox, and in the KBO League for the NC Dinos.
Stewart attended Holliday High School. He attended Angelo State University before transferring to North Central Texas College where he pitched in 2006 and 2007. He pitched for Texas Tech University in 2008. Stewart became the third former North Central Texas College player to debut in MLB, after Craig Stansberry and J. R. Towles.
Toronto Blue Jays
On August 1, 2009 the Reds traded Stewart, along with Edwin Encarnación and Josh Roenicke, to the Toronto Blue Jays for Scott Rolen. He was the Toronto Blue Jays top prospect prior to the 2010 Toronto Blue Jays season according to Baseball America.
On June 14, 2011, Stewart was called up from the Double-A New Hampshire Fisher Cats to replace Kyle Drabek, who was optioned to the Triple-A Las Vegas 51s. He made his career debut on June 16, 2011 against the Baltimore Orioles, pitching 7 innings, giving up 7 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 walk and 4 strikeouts. After making 3 starts, Stewart was optioned back to Double-A New Hampshire on June 28, 2011.
Chicago White Sox
On July 27, 2011, Stewart was traded to the Chicago White Sox with Jason Frasor for Edwin Jackson and Mark Teahen. Stewart was called up to the White Sox on August 6, 2011 and earned his first MLB victory going 6.1 innings giving up 1 run on 8 hits striking out 2 in a 6–1 victory over the Minnesota Twins.
On September 5, 2011, Stewart threw 7 perfect innings before giving up a hit to Minnesota Twins infielder Danny Valencia. Stewart then went on to retire the next six batters as the White Sox swept a double header winning 4–0.
Boston Red Sox
On June 24, 2012, Stewart was traded to the Boston Red Sox with Brent Lillibridge for Kevin Youkilis and cash. He was sent to the Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox. Stewart was recalled from Pawtucket on August 29 in order to start that night against the Los Angeles Angels. The next day, Stewart was sent back to Pawtucket to make room for Daniel Bard. On November 20, Stewart was designated for assignment with four others.
On November 28, 2012, the Pittsburgh Pirates announced that they had acquired Stewart from the Red Sox in exchange for a player to be named later. The Pirates sent pitcher Kyle Kaminska to the Red Sox to complete the trade. The Pirates designated Stewart for assignment on January 17, 2013.
Return to Chicago
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
- "White Sox trade Stewart to Braves". Times Record News. March 10, 2014. Retrieved April 7, 2014. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Former Lion Zach Stewart Makes Major League Debut". June 16, 2011.
- "Cincinnati Reds 2008 Draft Results | reds.com: Team". Cincinnati.reds.mlb.com. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- "MLB Trade: Scott Rolen of Toronto Blue Jays needs to OK his trade to Cincinnati Reds – ESPN". Sports.espn.go.com. August 1, 2009. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- Rode, Nathan (December 15, 2009). "Prospects: Rankings: Organization Top 10 Prospects: Toronto Blue Jays: Top 10 Prospects". BaseballAmerica.com. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- "Command problems resulted in Kyle Drabek being optioned to Triple-A on Tuesday | bluejays.com: News". Toronto Blue Jays. MLB. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- "Jays recall Cecil and option Stewart to minors". Tsn.ca. June 28, 2011. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- Nowak, Joey. "White Sox send Jackson to Blue Jays for Frasor". MLB.com. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- Merkin, Scott. "White Sox acquire Youkilis from Red Sox". MLB.com. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
- C. Trent Rosecrans. "Zach Stewart a trade piece once again". CBSSports.com. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- "Zach Stewart gets his chance tonight – Extra Bases – Red Sox blog". Boston.com. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- "Red Sox recall Bard". Theprovince.com. August 30, 2012. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- Aderhold, Nathan (November 20, 2012). "Red Sox designate, Stewart, De Jesus, Valencia, Carpenter and Rosario for assignment". MLB Daily Dish.
- Berry, Adam (December 6, 2012). "Boston acquires Kaminska to complete Stewart trade". MLB.com. Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- Ingemi, Marisa (January 17, 2013). "Pirates designate Zach Stewart for assignment". MLB Daily Dish.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (January 24, 2013). "White Sox Claim Zach Stewart". Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- "White Sox ship Zach Stewart to Atlanta". miamiherald.com. March 10, 2014. Retrieved March 10, 2014.
- DiGiovanna, Mike (January 27, 2015). "Angels sign Frank Herrmann, Zach Stewart to minor league deals". latimes.com. Retrieved January 27, 2015.
- Myeongno, Lee (June 10, 2015). "속전속결 NC, 새 외인 투수 재크 스튜어트 영입". sportschosun.com. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- Adams, Steve (January 6, 2017). "Minor MLB Transactions: 1/6/17". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- "Zach Stewart: Released by Orioles". cbssports.com. May 3, 2017. Retrieved May 3, 2017.