Zafar Mahmood Abbasi
|Zafar Mahmood Abbasi|
Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi
|Birth name||Zafar Mahmood Abbasi|
|Years of service||1978–Present|
|Unit||Naval Operations Branch|
|Commands held||Vice Chief of Naval Staff
Combined Task Force 150
Commander Pakistan Marines
Maritime Security Agency
25th Destroyer Squadron
|Battles/wars||2001-2002 India-Pakistan standoff
War in North West-Pakistan
Operation Enduring Freedom–HOA
2016 India-Pakistan military confrontation
Sword of Honour
Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi (Urdu: ظفر محمود عباسى), NI(M), HI(M), SI(M), is a four-star rank admiral in the Pakistan Navy who is currently serving as the Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS) of Pakistan Navy.
Abbasi joined the Pakistan Navy in 1978, and was educated at the Pakistan Naval Academy, and did his initial training at the Britannia Royal Naval College at Dartmouth in United Kingdom. He gained commissioned in the Navy as Lieutenant in 1981 upon graduating from the Naval Academy and was conferred with the Sword of Honour. He served as an executive officer in Tariq-class destroyer.
His command assignment included his role as commandant of the Naval Academy, as well as Director-General of the Maritime Security Agency, which he commanded from 2010 until 2011. From 2001–03, he was the commanding officer of the PNS Khaiber. From 2005 until 2007, he commanded the 21st Mine Squadron and 25th Destroyer Squadron. In 2008, he was promoted to one-star rank, Commodore, and was the ACNS (Operations) and later, the ACNS (Plans), until he was promoted to two-star rank in 2010.
Rear-Admiral Abbasi took over the command of the Combined Task Force 150 which he led from April 2010 until relieving it on October 2010. In 2013, Rear-Admiral Abbasi took over the command as Commander Logistics (COMLOG) but this was a short-lived appointment.
In 2014, Vice-Admiral Abbasi was in the race to be appointed as a four-star admiral and take over the command of the Navy as its Chief of Naval Staff, alongside with Vice-Admiral Khan Hasham bin Saddique and Vice-Admiral S. A. Hussaini. However, the most senior admiral in the Navy, Admiral Moh'd Zakaullah was promoted to the four-star appointment, He continued serving as the DCNS (Operations) at the Navy NHQ.
On 3 October 2017, Vice-Admiral Abbasi was promoted to four-star admiral in the Navy, and was announced by the MoD of his appointment to take over the command of the Navy as Chief of Naval Staff. He supersedes no one and was the senior most-ranking admiral in the Navy.
On 30 October 2017, Admiral Abbasi was conferred and honored with Nishan-i-Imtiaz (military) by the President Mamnoon Hussain for "recognition of his long meritorious services, exceptionally commendable performance and inspirational devotion to duty."
- Staff writers (22 August 2014). "Promotions: Two rear admirals made vice admirals - The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. The Express Tribune, 2014. The Express Tribune. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- staff correspondents (2010). "Promotions in Navy notified". Business Recorder. Business Recorder, 2010. Business Recorder. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Rear Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi SI(M)". Google documents.
- "Rear Admirals Zafar Mahmood Abbasi and Syed Arifullah Hussaini promoted Vice Admiral – Official News Pakistan". officialnews.pk. Official news pakistan. Official News. 21 October 2014. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "::Pakistan Maritime Security Agency::". www.pmsa.gov.pk. PMSA. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "PM approves Pak Navy promotions". DAWN.COM. Dawn Newspaper, 2010. Dawn Newspaper. 1 January 2010. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Pakistan Assumes Command of Combined Task Force 150". Cusnc.navy.mil. April 15, 2010.
- "Rear Admiral Z M Abbasi takes over as Commander Logistics and Rear Admiral Syed Arifullah Hussaini as Commander Coast Pakistan Navy | Pakistan Press Releases". pakistanpressreleases.com. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Transfer of Commands in Pakistan Navy". Pakistan Military & Defence News. Pakistan Military & Defence News. 10 June 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Report, Dawn (31 May 2014). "Rear Admiral Zafar assumes Pakistan fleet command". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Rear Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi takes over as Commander Pakistan Fleet, Rear Admiral Imdad Hussain Jafri as Commander Logistic Pakistan Navy". medialinepakistan.com. medialinepakistan. medialinepakistan. 2014. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Vice Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi HI(M) Commander Pakistan Fleet in a grou - TheNews International - Photo Gallery". Photo Gallery - The News International Pakistan. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Reporter, The Newspaper's Staff (30 September 2014). "Navy chief to retire next week". DAWN.COM. Dawn Newspapers, 2014. Dawn Newspapers. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- staff (30 November 2014). "Vice Admiral Khan Hasham appointed Vice Naval Chief". www.thenews.com.pk. News International. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "KARACHI: October 29 – Deputy Chief of the Naval Staff (Operations), Vice Admiral Zafar Mehmood Abbasi and Commander Pakistan Fleet, Vice Admiral Arif Ullah Hussaini along with Turkish Mission Commander witnessing the exercise onboard the Turkish Ship BUYUKADA at North Arabian Sea. APP | APP Photo Service". photo.app.com.pk. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Pakistan Navy - Ilm Se Dunya". Ilm Se Dunya. 18 July 2017. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Anis, Mohammad; Zaafir, M. Saleh (4 October 2017). "Admiral Zafar Abbasi appointed as new naval chief". www.thenews.com.pk. Anis & Zaafir, News International. News International. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- staff writers (10 October 2017). "Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi appointed Pakistan's new Naval Chief". Daily Pakistan Global. Daily Pakistan Global. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- Siddiqui, Naveed (7 October 2017). "Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi takes charge of Pakistan Navy". DAWN.COM. Dawn Newspaper, 2017. Dawn Newspaper. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- "President confers Nishan-e-Imtiaz on Naval Chief Zafar Abbasi - Pakistan - Dunya News". Dunya News. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
ADM Muhammad Zakaullah
|Chief of Naval Staff
7 October 2017 – Present