||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Zaghloul El Naggar|
|Native name||زغلول النجار|
November 17, 1933 |
|Occupation||Geologist, Chairman, Committee of Scientific Notions in the Glorious Qur'an. Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs, Cairo, Egypt.|
Zaghloul El Naggar (Arabic: زغلول النجار, IPA: [zæɣˈluːl ennɑɡˈɡɑːɾˤ]) is an Egyptian geologist, Muslim scholar, and Muslim author. The main theme of El-Naggar's books has been science in Quran; his philosophy of science is blended with religion. He left his academic career to become the Chairman of Committee of Scientific Notions in the Qur'an, Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs, Cairo, Egypt.
He received his bachelor's degree from the University of Cairo. He obtained (purportedly) his PhD in Geology from the University of Wales in the United Kingdom in 1963 no record shows that . El-Naggar is an elected Fellow of the Islamic Academy of Sciences (1988), the Geological Society of Egypt and the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, Tulsa, Oklahoma. He was imprisoned because of his political activism and beliefs during his student life. He was considered a grave threat to secular political establishment of Egypt. He was exiled from Egypt in early 1960s and could return to his country only in 1970.
El-Naggar wrote a book entitled The Geological Concept of Mountains in the Qur'an (2003, ISBN 9773630072). It was published by New Vision when El-Naggar was the chair of geology at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. This book sold fairly well, leading El-Naggar to leave teaching and become the Chairman of Committee of Scientific Notions in the Qur'an.
El-Naggar published more than 150 scientific studies and articles, none of them peer reviewed, and 45 books in Arabic, English and French. Many of those publications deal with what are considered to be scientific miracles in Qur'an.
Controversial claims and religion
Naggar said that the power of America would eventually end.
Splitting of the moon
- (in Arabic) Biography of Zaghloul El Naggar in ZAYTODAY.com
- The Geological Concept of Mountains in the Qur'an In NEWVISION Website
- Ahmad Dallal, Science and the Qur'an, Encyclopedia of the Qur'an
- "Egyptian Cleric Zaghloul Al-Naggar: Israel Must Be Destroyed. America Will Be Dissipated to Nothing". MEMRI. April 1, 2006.
- Fayed, Shaimaa (2012-10-10). "Egypt's radical preachers enjoying freedom of airwaves". Reuters. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- "Egypt media becomes free platform for radical clerics". ARAB TIMES. 2013-08-21. Archived from the original on August 21, 2013. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- Gilligan, Andrew (27 Sep 2014). "The 'Club Med for terrorists'". The Telegraph.
- Book: Treasures in the Sunnah - A Scientific Approach, Zaghloul El Naggar, pub. Al-Falah Foundation for Translation, Publication, and Distribution, 2004, ISBN 978-977-363-044-7 OCLC 795325076, p41-43, on Google books and cited on the author's Web site