Zahidi Zainul Abidin
Zahidi Zainul Abidin
|زاهدي زين العابدين|
|2020–||Deputy Minister of Communications and Multimedia|
|Exco roles (Perlis)|
|1999–2003||Deputy Chairman of the Education|
|2003–2006||Chairman of the Investment, Trade, Science, Technology, Consumerism and Agro-based Industry|
|Faction represented in Dewan Rakyat|
|Faction represented in Perlis State Legislative Assembly|
|2015–2018||Chairman of Rubber Industry Smallholders Development Authority (RISDA)|
Zahidi bin Zainul Abidin
9 January 1961
|Political party||United Malays National Organisation (UMNO)|
|Barisan Nasional (BN)|
Perikatan Nasional (PN)
Muafakat Nasional (MN)
|Zahidi Zainul Abidin on Facebook |
Zahidi Zainul Abidin on Parliament of Malaysia
Datuk Zahidi bin Zainul Abidin (Jawi: زاهدي بن زين العابدين; born 9 January 1961)was a former Royal Malaysian Air Force rank and file personnel and is a Malaysian politician who has served as Deputy Minister of Communications and Multimedia for the second term in the Barisan Nasional (BN) administration under Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob and Minister Annuar Musa since August 2021. He served his first term in the Perikatan Nasional (PN) administration under former Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin and former Minister Saifuddin Abdullah from March 2020 to August 2021. He is the Member of Parliament (MP) for Padang Besar and Chairman of the Padang Besar Division of the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO). He is also the Chairman of the Malaysian International Institute of Islamic Cooperation (IKIAM).
Zahidi has held various positions in politics and UMNO:
|1991–1993||Islamic Education Chief for UMNO Youth Malaysia|
|1993||Deputy Chief of UMNO Youth Kangar Division|
|1998||Members of The Training and Student Council UMNO Youth Malaysia.|
|1998||International UMNO Youth Council Member|
|1998||UMNO International Bureau|
|1991–1998||UMNO Malaysia Youth Education Bureau|
|1994–1998||Perlis Deputy UMNO Youth Chief|
|1994–2001||UMNO Padang Besar Youth Chief|
|1998–2001||UMNO Perlis Youth Chief|
|2001–2004||UMNO Malaysia Youth Exco|
|2008–present||UMNO Padang Besar Divisional Chief|
|2020–present||Deputy Minister of Communications and Multimedia|
In September 2020, Zahidi caused a nationwide outrage when he falsely accused a Sabahan foundation student named Veveonah Mosibin from Universiti Malaysia Sabah of trying to popularise her YouTube channel when she posted a video of her in a hut on top of a tree struggling to take an exam. Veveonah at the time had to stay home due to Malaysia's Movement Control Order (MCO) to stop the COVID-19 outbreak in the country and had to go on top of tree to get signal for internet connection. Zahidi was later made to apologise for his inaccurate remark in Dewan Negara and informed that it was Abdul Rahim Bakri of Kudat MP who told him that Veveonah did not have exams on the day she uploaded the video, of which, later clarified otherwise by the university's chairman, Masidi Manjun.
The aftermath of the incident had brought Zahidi's academic credentials under spotlight for purportedly dubious academic qualification while Veveonah's hometown district got 13 new telecommunication towers expeditiously installed with 4G connection under the JENDELA program.
|1999||Zahidi Zainul Abidin (UMNO)||2,774||58.66%||Abd. Rahman Rejab (PAS)||1,955||41.34%||5,069||819||73.77%|
|2004||Zahidi Zainul Abidin (UMNO)||3,492||68.30%||Mohd Anuar Mohd Tahir (PAS)||1,621||31.70%||5,222||1,871||78.59%|
|2013||Zahidi Zainul Abidin (UMNO)||21,473||60.45%||Azamhari Mohamood (PAS)||14,047||39.55%||36,142||7,426||86.11%|
|2018||Zahidi Zainul Abidin (UMNO)||15,032||41.18%||Izizam Ibrahim (BERSATU)||13,594||37.24%||37,432||1,438||81.20%|
|Mokhtar Senik (PAS)||7,874||21.57%|
Honours of Malaysia
- Directory."Institut Kerjasama Islam Antarabangsa Malaysia (IKIAM", IKIAM, 25 April 2013.
- "BIODATA". SUARA TV. Retrieved 14 April 2020.
- "Veveonah Quits Social Media After False Accusations From Minister: The minister accused her of lying about her examinations for fame". The Rakyat Post. 7 September 2020. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "Minister apologises to 'tree girl' Veveonah for inaccurate remark". New Strait Times. 4 September 2020. Retrieved 15 January 2021.
- "Zahidi says Kudat MP told him Veveonah did not have exams on day she uploaded video". The Star. 7 September 2020. Retrieved 15 January 2021.
- "Veveonah was having her exams at time of video, confirms UMS". The Star. 8 September 2020. Retrieved 15 January 2021.
- "Zahidi's academic credentials under spotlight after Veveonah jibe". MalaysiaKini. 8 September 2020. Retrieved 15 January 2021.
- "Pitas rep pushing for fast-tracking of 13 new telco towers in district". The Star. 12 October 2020. Retrieved 15 January 2021.
- "Controversial Deputy Communications Minister Is Covid-19 Positive". The Rakyat Post. 13 January 2021. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- Ida Lim (27 January 2021). "Here's the full list of Malaysia's ministers, lawmakers who tested Covid-19 positive in January". Malay Mail. Retrieved 28 August 2021.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 14 April 2010. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Malaysia General Election". undiinfo Malaysian Election Data. Malaysiakini. Retrieved 4 February 2018. Results only available from the 2004 election.
- "SEMAKAN KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM KE – 14" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 17 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "The Star Online GE14". The Star. Retrieved 24 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "The Malacca Yang Di-Pertua Negri's Birthday Honours List". The Star. 12 October 2003. Retrieved 24 September 2018.