|Born||April 7, 1946|
Brooklyn, New York
|Listed height||6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)|
|Listed weight||235 lb (107 kg)|
|High school||John Jay|
(Brooklyn, New York)
|College||Iowa State (1965–1968)|
|NBA draft||1968 / Round: 1 / Pick: 5th overall|
|Selected by the Cincinnati Royals|
|Position||Power forward / Center|
|Number||21, 16, 35, 6, 54, 27|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NBA statistics|
|Points||4,557 (9.0 ppg)|
|Rebounds||4,065 (8.0 rpg)|
|Assists||601 (1.2 apg)|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Zaid Abdul-Aziz (born Donald A. Smith on April 7, 1946) is a retired American professional basketball player. Donald Smith changed his name to Zaid Abdul-Aziz in 1976 after he converted to Islam. The 6'9" Abdul-Aziz starred at Iowa State University before being drafted by the NBA's Cincinnati Royals in 1968. He played ten seasons in the league as a member of the Royals, Milwaukee Bucks, Seattle SuperSonics, Houston Rockets, Buffalo Braves, and Boston Celtics. Nicknamed "The Kangaroo", he had his finest season in 1971–1972, when he averaged 13.8 points and 11.3 rebounds for Seattle. He retired in 1978 with career totals of 4,557 points and 4,065 rebounds.
In 2006, Zaid Abdul-Aziz published a memoir, Darkness to Sunlight, which tells the stories of his basketball career, personal challenges, and spiritual journey. Abdul-Aziz is now a drug and alcohol counselor in Seattle.
- 1968 – First round, fifth pick by Cincinnati Royals in 1968 NBA draft.
- 1969, January 31 – Traded to Milwaukee Bucks for Fred Hetzel plus cash.
- 1970, September 17 – Traded to Seattle SuperSonics for Lucius Allen and Bob Boozer.
- 1972, September 18 – Transferred to Houston Rockets.
- 1975, August 1 – released from Houston Rockets.
- 1976, January 31 – Free agent signed by Seattle SuperSonics.
- 1976, November 26 – Free agent signed by Buffalo Braves from Seattle SuperSonics.
- 1977, January 20 – released from Buffalo Braves.
- 1978, February 14 – Free agent signed by Boston Celtics.
- 1978, February 24 – released by Boston Celtics.
- 1978, March 2 – Free agent signed by Houston Rockets.
- 1978, June 20 – released by Houston Rockets.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|