August 2, 1984|
Irving, Texas, United States
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
Welterweight (155—170 Ib)|
Middleweight (170—185 Ib)
Light Heavyweight(185—205 Ib)
|Reach||74 1⁄2 in (189 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Team||Glory MMA and Fitness|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Leonardo "Léo" Peçanha|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||Missouri State University|
Glendale High School|
Meramec Community College
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Zak Cummings is an American mixed martial artist, who currently competes in the Welterweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional competitor since 2007, he has also formerly competed for Strikeforce, MFC, Titan FC, and Bellator.
Born in Irving, Texas, Cummings moved to Springfield, Missouri at the age of three. After beginning wrestling in the sixth grade, he attended Glendale High School where he competed in wrestling, as well as football, baseball, and basketball. A state qualifier, he later attended Maremec Community College where he was a two-time NJCAA national qualifier his freshman and sophomore seasons. Due to an injury, Cummings transferred to Missouri State University to finish his degree, majoring in exercise and movement science. It was around this time that he began to training in mixed martial arts, and was 6-0 as an amateur before turning professional.
Mixed martial arts career
Cummings made his professional MMA debut in November 2007. He was undefeated for the first year and a half of his career, going 10–0 during that time period with a majority of his wins by TKO or submission.
Post-Strikeforce, Cummings fought for various independent organizations and had one appearance for Bellator Fighting Championships. He added 5 more wins and 2 losses to his record during this time.
The Ultimate Fighter
In January 2013, it was revealed that Cummings was a cast member of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen. He won his preliminary bout over Nik Fekete quickly by TKO with the first punch he threw. Cummings was selected by Sonnen as his third pick (fifth overall).
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Cummings made his debut against Ben Alloway on August 28, 2013 at UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Kampmann 2. He won the fight via submission in the first round. The win also earned him his first Submission of the Night bonus award.
Cummings was expected to face Sérgio Moraes on November 30, 2013 at The Ultimate Fighter 18 Finale. However, Cummings and Moraes had to pull out of the event due to injury and were replaced by Sean Spencer and Drew Dober respectively.
Cummings was expected to face promotional newcomer Alberto Mina on March 1, 2014 at The Ultimate Fighter China Finale. However, at the weigh-ins for the event, Cummings came in eight pounds over the welterweight limit. On the advice of his coaches, Mina would not agree to compete at a catch weight, so the bout was scratched from the event.
Cummings was briefly linked to a bout with Kenny Robertson on July 16, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 45. However, Cummings was pulled from that fight in favor of a matchup with Gunnar Nelson on July 19, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 46 after his opponent Ryan LaFlare was removed from the card. He lost the fight via rear-naked choke.
Cummings was expected to face Antônio Braga Neto on July 25, 2015 at UFC on Fox 16. However, Braga Neto pulled out of the fight in early July and was replaced by promotional newcomer Dominique Steele. Cummings won the fight by TKO in the first round.
Cummings was scheduled to face Thiago Alves on January 14, 2018 at UFC Fight Night: Stephens vs. Choi. On January 13, 2018, it was announced that Cummings injured his skull after a bathroom slip and the bout against Alves was cancelled as no replacement would be sought.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Midwest Cage Championships
- MCC Middleweight Championship (One time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|27 matches||21 wins||6 losses|
|Loss||21–6||Michel Prazeres||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Usman||May 19, 2018||3||5:00||Santiago, Chile|
|Win||21–5||Nathan Coy||Technical Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Reis||April 15, 2017||1||4:21||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Win||20–5||Alexander Yakovlev||Submission (straight armbar)||UFC Fight Night: Mousasi vs. Hall 2||November 19, 2016||2||4:02||Belfast, Northern Ireland||Catchweight (172.8 lbs) bout; Cummings missed weight.|
|Loss||19–5||Santiago Ponzinibbio||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Rodríguez vs. Caceres||August 6, 2016||3||5:00||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||19–4||Nicolas Dalby||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Rothwell vs. dos Santos||April 10, 2016||3||5:00||Zagreb, Croatia|
|Win||18–4||Dominique Steele||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Dillashaw vs. Barão 2||July 25, 2015||1||0:43||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||17–4||Gunnar Nelson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao||July 19, 2014||2||4:48||Dublin, Ireland|
|Win||17–3||Yan Cabral||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Brown vs. Silva||May 10, 2014||3||5:00||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States|
|Win||16–3||Ben Alloway||Submission (D'Arce choke)||UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Kampmann 2||August 28, 2013||1||4:19||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States||Welterweight debut. Submission of the Night.|
|Win||15–3||Brandon Newsome||Submission (guillotine choke)||Slay Marketing: Fight Night Returns||March 24, 2012||1||2:38||Springfield, Missouri, United States|
|Win||14–3||Lamont Stafford||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Slay Marketing||February 11, 2012||1||1:46||Springfield, Missouri, United States|
|Loss||13–3||Ryan Jimmo||Decision (unanimous)||MFC 29: Conquer||April 8, 2011||5||5:00||Windsor, Ontario, Canada||For the MFC Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||13–2||Jonathan Smith||TKO (punches)||SMMA: The Proving Ground||February 19, 2011||1||0:50||Springfield, Missouri, United States|
|Win||12–2||Dennis Reed||Submission (armbar)||XCF 13: Cummings vs. Reed||September 18, 2010||1||0:58||Springfield, Missouri, United States|
|Win||11–2||Rudy Bears||Submission (D'Arce choke)||Bellator 26||August 26, 2010||1||1:27||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Loss||10–2||Elvis Mutapcic||Decision (unanimous)||Midwest Cage Championships 27||June 11, 2010||5||5:00||Des Moines, Iowa, United States||For the MCC Middleweight Championship.|
|Loss||10–1||Tim Kennedy||Submission (north-south choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Kennedy vs. Cummings||September 25, 2009||2||2:43||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||10–0||Dominic Brown||TKO (punches)||FM: Productions||May 9, 2009||1||2:19||Springfield, Missouri, United States|
|Win||9–0||Terry Martin||Decision (split)||XCF: Rumble in Racetown 1||February 14, 2009||3||5:00||Daytona Beach, Florida, United States|
|Win||8–0||Cole Jennet||Submission (neck crank)||MCC 17: Thanksgiving Throwdown||November 26, 2008||1||2:11||West Des Moines, Iowa, United States||Won the MCC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||7–0||Leo Pla||TKO (punches)||FM: Productions||September 13, 2008||2||3:48||Springfield, Missouri, United States|
|Win||6–0||Danny Anderson||Decision (unanimous)||MCC 15: Lights Out!||July 25, 2008||3||5:00||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Win||5–0||Jason Broom||TKO (punches)||ISCF: Brawl at the Hall||May 9, 2008||2||2:21||Joplin, Missouri, United States|
|Win||4–0||Victor Moreno||Submission (americana)||MCC 13: Contenders||April 25, 2008||2||2:19||Urbandale, Iowa, United States|
|Win||3–0||James Bunch||Submission (choke)||FM: Productions||April 18, 2008||2||1:34||Rolla, Missouri, United States|
|Win||2–0||Rudy Bears||Submission (choke)||FM: Productions||February 1, 2008||3||2:08||Rolla, Missouri, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ron Jackson||Decision (unanimous)||Titan FC 10||November 28, 2007||3||N/A||Kansas City, Kansas, United States|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|2 matches||1 win||1 loss|
|Loss||1–1||Dylan Andrews||Decision (majority)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen||March 12, 2013 (airdate)||2||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Preliminary bout.|
|Win||1–0||Nik Fekete||KO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen||January 22, 2013 (airdate)||1||N/A||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||TUF 17 house entry bout.|
- "Zak Cummings' profile". MMA-Core.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Dillashaw vs. Barao 2". UFC.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Zak Cummings (@zakcummings) (June 12, 2016). "Today was one of the biggest moments in my life. After 11 years of I was finally awarded my BJJ Black Belt!!! (...)". Instagram. Retrieved August 7, 2016.
- "Zak Cummings from The Ultimate Fighter". Zakcummings.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- Brent Brookhouse (September 25, 2009). "Strikeforce Challengers: Tim Kennedy vs. Zak Cummings - live results and commentary". Bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- John Morgan (January 9, 2013). "UFC unveils starting cast for 'The Ultimate Fighter 17'". USAtoday.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- MMAjunkie.com staff (January 22, 2013). "Episode No. 1 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 17: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen'". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- Jesse Holland (March 12, 2013). "UFC Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 17 Episode 8 results recap for 'Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen' on FX". MMAmania.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- MMAjunkie.com staff (July 18, 2013). "'TUF' vets Ben Alloway, Zak Cummings meet at UFC on FOX Sports 1 2 in Indy". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- Staff (2013-08-28). "UFC Fight Night 27 bonuses: Thatch, Cummings, Condit, Kampmann earn $50K". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- Staff (October 30, 2013). "Sean Spencer replaces injured Zak Cummings, meets Sergio Moraes at TUF 18 Finale". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- Jason Floyd (November 19, 2013). "Sean Spencer receives a new opponent for The Ultimate Fighter 18 Finale". TheMMAreport.com. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- Staff (2014-02-07). "UFC Macao – Alberto Mina Vs. Zak Cummings". epicmma.com. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- MMAjunkie Staff (2014-02-28). "Zak Cummings vs. Alberto Mina pulled from Saturday's TUF China Finale". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- "Zak Cummings meets Yan Cabral at UFC Fight Night 40 in Cincinnati". MMAjunkie.com. April 10, 2014.
- Matt Erickson. "Zak Cummings meets Kenny Robertson at UFC Fight Night 45". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-23.
- @YourMMA. "LaFlare Injured, Nelson Gets New Opponent For UFC Dublin". YourMMA.tv. Retrieved 2014-05-28.
- Tristen Critchfield (2015-04-24). "UFC on Fox 16 Update: Zak Cummings agrees to bout with Antonio Braga Neto". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- Staff (2015-07-09). "Antonio Braga Neto out, Dominique Steele in against Zak Cummings at UFC on FOX 16". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-09.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-07-25). "UFC on FOX 16 results: Zak Cummings blasts through Dominique Steele". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-25.
- Staff (2016-03-02). "Zak Cummings replaces Bartosz Fabinski at UFC Fight Night 86 in Croatia". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-02.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-04-10). "UFC Fight Night 86 results: Zak Cummings hands Nicolas Dalby first loss with sweep". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-10.
- Staff (2016-06-15). "UFC Fight Night 92 gets five new fights". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-15.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-08-06). "UFC Fight Night 92 results: Santiago Ponzinibbio outworks Zak Cummings for third straight win". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-06.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-11-19). "UFC Fight Night 99 results: Zak Cummings armbars Alexander Yakovlev in second". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- Staff (2017-02-17). "Nathan Coy vs. Zak Cummings added to UFC on FOX 24 in Kansas City". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-17.
- Ben Fowlkes (2017-04-15). "UFC on FOX 24 results: Zak Cummings chokes out Nathan Coy in front of home K.C. crowd". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Staff (2017-11-09). "Trio of fights added to UFC Fight Night 124 in St. Louis". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-11-09.
- "Zak Cummings injured, out of Sunday's UFC St. Louis bout vs. Thiago Alves". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2018-01-13.
- "UFC encaminha duelo entre Michel Trator e Zak Cummings no Chile, no meio-médio". Sportv (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-03-22.
- "UFC Fight Night 129 results: Michel Prazeres moves up in weight, takes split over Zak Cummings". MMAjunkie. 2018-05-20. Retrieved 2018-05-20.