Panorama of Zakynthos
|Administrative region||Ionian Islands|
|• Municipal unit||45.79 km2 (17.68 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|• Municipal unit||16,810|
|• Municipal unit density||370/km2 (950/sq mi)|
|• Population||9,773 (2011)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Zakynthos (Greek: Ζάκυνθος, romanized: Zákynthos [ˈzacinθos] (listen)) or Zante (Greek: Τζάντε, romanized: Tzánte), is a city and a former municipality on the island of Zakynthos, Ionian Islands, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Zakynthos, of which it is a municipal unit. It is the capital of the island of Zakynthos. Apart from the official name Zakynthos, it is also called Chora (i.e. the Town), a common denomination in Greece when the name of the island itself is the same as the name of the principal town.
The municipal unit of Zákynthos lies in the easternmost part of the island and has a land area of 45.79 square kilometres (17.68 square miles) and a population of 16,810 at the 2011 census. It is subdivided into the communities Zakynthos (pop. 9,773), Ampelokipoi (1,930), Argasi (1,266), Vasilikos (799), Gaitani (1,899) and Bochali (1,143). The municipal unit also includes the Strofades islands, which lie about 50 kilometres (31 miles) south of Zákynthos Island.
- Dionysios (16th century), patron saint of Zakynthos
- Pavlos Carrer (1829–1896), composer
- Ugo Foscolo (1778–1827), writer, revolutionary and poet
- Andreas Kalvos (1792–1869), poet
- Dionysios Solomos (1798–1857), poet
Twin towns – sister cities
Zakynthos is twinned with:
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (in Greek)
- "Population & housing census 2001 (incl. area and average elevation)" (PDF) (in Greek). National Statistical Service of Greece.
- "Twinnings" (PDF). Central Union of Municipalities & Communities of Greece. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Limassol Twinned Cities". Limassol (Lemesos) Municipality. Archived from the original on 2013-04-01. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Serravalle si gemellerà con l'isola di Zante
- Ζάκυνθος: Αδελφοποιήθηκε με την πόλη Κιριάτ Μπιαλίκ (in Greek). Zakynthos: twinned with the city of Kiryat Bialik
|This Ionian Islands location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|