Zakynthos International Airport
|Zakynthos International Airport|
Διεθνής Αερολιμένας Ζακύνθου
|Operator||Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture|
|Elevation AMSL||15 ft / 5 m|
In December 2015 the privatisation of Zakynthos International Airport and 13 other regional airports of Greece was finalised with the signing of the agreement between the Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture and the state privatisation fund. "We signed the deal today," the head of Greece's privatisation agency HRADF, Stergios Pitsiorlas, told Reuters. According to the agreement, the joint venture will operate the 14 airports (including Zakynthos International Airport) for 40 years from 11 April 2017.
The airport is close to the town and beach of Kalamaki. Kalamaki beach is part of the National Marine Park of Zakynthos. The endangered loggerhead sea turtles (Caretta caretta) lay their eggs at the beaches of the marine park at night during the summer months. This has resulted in aircraft movement restrictions. Flights are not permitted to take off or land between 10:00PM to 5:00AM. It is at the jurisdiction of the Greek authorities to allow aircraft movements at night under extenuating circumstances. The airport opened in 1972. An expansion of the airport's apron area to 35,100 m² was completed in 2003, and a new 22,150 m² terminal building was completed in 2008. The airport is 4.3 km from Zakynthos town and other seaside tourist destinations such as Laganas, Tsilivi and Kalamaki. The main approach into the airport is Runway 34. Aircraft usually have to fly over Laganas bay and make a 180-degree turn, before their final approach over sunbathing tourists on the busy Kalamaki beach.
Future of the Airport - Fraport Greece’s investment plan
This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (October 2017)
On 22 March 2017, Fraport-Greece presented its master plan for the 14 regional airports, including the Zakynthos International Airport.
Immediate actions that will be implemented at the airports as soon as Fraport Greece takes over operations, before the launch of the 2017 Summer season include:
- General clean-up
- Improving lighting, marking of airside areas.
- Upgrading sanitary facilities
- Enhancing services and offering new free Internet connection (WiFi)
- Implementing works to improve fire safety in all the areas of the airports
The following summarizes the enhancement changes that will be implemented for Zakynthos International Airport, under Fraport Greece’s investment plan, by 2021:
- Refurbishing and remodeling current terminal
- HBS inline screening
- Refurbishing air traffic control tower
- New fire station
- Relocating power transformers and generators
- Reorganizing airport apron area
- Refurbishing airside pavement
- Reorganizing landside roads & parking
- New security guardhouse
- 33 percent increase in check-in counters (from 15 to 20)
- 150 percent increase in the number of security-check lanes (from 2 to 5)
Airlines and destinations
- Jeppesen aerodrome charts
- "ZAKYNTHOS AIRPORT "D.SOLOMOS"". Retrieved 9 January 2018.[permanent dead link]
- "Greece signs privatization of 14 regional airports with Germany's Fraport - TornosNews.gr". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Editorial, Reuters. "REFILE-UPDATE 1-Greece signs major privatisation deal with Germany's Fraport". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Fraport Greece Begins 40-Year Concession at 14 Greek Regional Airports - Fraport Greece". www.fraport-greece.com. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- http://www.alxd.gr/AirportGuide/zakinthos/zakinthosE.html[permanent dead link]
- "Fraport Greece’s Development Plan for the New Era at the Greek Regional Airports", fraport-greece.com
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "British Airways adds new Heathrow – Europe routes in S17". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "20% More Holiday Destinations: Edelweiss to Massively Expand Its Route Network in Summer 2018". Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Eurowings adds new routes to Cyprus/Greece in S17". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Finnair Adds New European Routes in S16". Routesonline. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Flight Timetables - Jet2.com". www.jet2.com. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Smartwings S17 new routes as of 15DEC16". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Flight Timetable". tui.co.uk. 5 November 2017. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Thomson outlines planned new routes in S17". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Volotea S17 New routes as of 14OCT16". Retrieved 4 May 2017.