|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Map of Negros Oriental showing the location of Zamboanguita
|Region||Negros Island Region (NIR/Region XVIII)|
|District||3rd district of Negros Oriental|
|• Mayor||Glen Alanano|
|• Vice Mayor||Eping Elmido|
|• Total||85.86 km2 (33.15 sq mi)|
|• Density||290/km2 (750/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||4th class|
About 28 kilometres (17 mi) from Dumaguete City, Zamboanguita is at the southern tip of the province of Negros Oriental and across from the island province of Siquijor. To the west of Zamboanguita is the municipality of Siaton, and to the north/east is the municipality of Dauin.
Zamboanguita is politically subdivided into 10 barangays.
- Malongcay Diot
Zamboanguita (meaning "little Zamboanga") acquired its name from its neighbor down south across the sea, Zamboanga City. Zamboanguita was established in 1866. Modest compared to the 6th largest city in the Philippines with 98 barangays, Zamboanguita has only 10 barangays.
|Population census of Zamboanguita|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Fiestas and Traditions
Fiesta – San Isidro Labrador, May 15
Every Wednesday - Malatapay: Open market, fresh seafood, vendors compete to give you the best service and the best food. Not just food, it is a flea market too. It's a feast with authentic native cuisine. People come from all over to enjoy the scenery and the beautiful seaside extravaganza.
Current elected officials of Zamboanguita (2010–2013):
- Mayor: Kit Marc Bantaya Adanza
- Vice-Mayor: Glenson Elola Alanano
- Samson C. Elnar
- Deodoro Elli Partosa
- Felipe Tuban Elmido Sr.
- Florenita Trinidad Elvinia
- Victoriano Flores Marilla
- Rustica Alabado
- Mario Credo Pinili
- Anicito Baliola
Schools in Zamboanguita
- GEMHS (Nasig-id), Nasig-id, Zamboanguita Municipality
- Decor Carmeli Academy
- Jose Marie Locsin Memorial High School, Mayabon
- Santiago Delmo Memorial High School, National Highway Maluay, Zamboanguita Municipality
- Zamboanguita Science High School, Del Pilar St. Poblacion
- Mayabon Elementary School, Mayabon, Zamboanguita Municipality
- Lutoban Elementary School, Lutoban, Zamboanguita Municipality
- Zamboanguita Central Elementary School, Magsaysay St. Poblacion, Zamboanguita Municipality
- Maluay Elementary School, National Highway Maluay, Zamboanguita Municipality
- Nabago Elementary School, Nabago, Zamboanguita Municipality
- Kaladias Elementary School, Najandig, Zamboanguita Municipality
- Malongcay Elementary School, Malongcay Diot, Zamboanguita Municipality
- Salngan Elementary School, Mayabon, Zamboanguita Municipality
- Bangculotan Elementary School, Mayabon, Zamboanguita Municipality
- GEMES (Nasig-id), Nasig-id, Zamboanguita Municipality
- Basak Elementary School, Basak, Zamboanguita Municipality
- Benito Gadiana Elementary School (Kapandis Elementary), Mayabon, Zamboanguita Municipality
- "Elected Mayors – Vice-Mayors and Councilors in Negros Oriental". Dumaguete.com. Retrieved 2016-05-16.
- "Province: Negros Oriental". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 9, 2013. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- PSA; Census of Population (2015), "NEGROS ISLAND REGION (NIR)", Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay, retrieved 20 June 2016
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Zamboanguita.|