Zane Taylor (American football)
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||April 23, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Murray, Utah|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||309 lb (140 kg)|
|High school:||Grand County High School
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Zane Taylor (born April 23, 1988) is an American football center who is currently a free agent. He went undrafted in the 2011 NFL Draft but was signed by the New York Jets and released following the preseason. He also spent time on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Indianapolis Colts and Philadelphia Eagles. He played college football at Utah.
Taylor played college football as the starting center for the University of Utah Utes football team from 2008 to 2010. In August 2009, a feature story written by Taylor about summer football workouts was published by The Wall Street Journal. He was a second-team All-MWC selection as a junior, and a first-team honoree as a senior. As a senior, he was also selected for the Outland Trophy watchlist, and as a finalist for the 2010 Lowe's Senior CLASS Award, awarded to a student-athlete for excellence in community, classroom, character and competition.
New York Jets
Although he went undrafted in the NFL draft, Taylor impressed scouts at Utah's Pro Day and at the NFL scouting combine. In August 2011, he signed a contract to play professional football for the New York Jets. On September 3, the Jets released Taylor.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The Philadelphia Eagles signed Taylor to their practice squad on November 23, 2011. At the conclusion of the 2011 season, his practice squad contract expired and he became a free agent. He was re-signed to the active roster on January 2, 2012. He was waived on May 17, 2012.
Taylor was claimed by the Indianapolis Colts on waivers, on May 18, 2012. Following the 2012 preseason Taylor was released by the Colts.
- "Zane Taylor: Grand star best known for leading Red Devils to first football title". The Salt Lake Tribune. July 2, 2006.
- "'Renaissance Man' in pads". The Salt Lake Tribune. August 8, 2004.
- "Utes' Taylor at center of news in Moab". The Salt Lake Tribune. August 23, 2010.
- "Taylor destined to be a Ute". The Salt Lake Tribune. November 22, 2009.
- "Taylor happy back in the center". The Deseret News. August 9, 2009.
- "Utes feel they have found a center in Taylor". The Deseret News. August 14, 2008.
- "Taylor's sacrifice pays off as he moves to front of line". The Deseret News. April 4, 2008.
- "Ute center to face off against Alabama giant". The Salt Lake Tribune. December 25, 2008.
- Zane Taylor (August 20, 2009). "A 'Voluntary' Workout With Mandatory Pain: A story of a typical summer day for a Utah football player". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Taylor receives All MWC second team honors". The Times-Independent. December 10, 2009.,
- "Former GCHS football star on watchlist for Outland Trophy". The Times-Independent. June 24, 2010.
- "Zane Taylor among candidates for award". The Deseret News. August 24, 2010.
- "Taylor ready for pro day". The Salt Lake Tribune. March 28, 2011.
- "Former GCHS football star preps for NFL scouting combine and draft". The Times-Independent (Moab, Utah). January 2011.
- Mike Reiss (March 30, 2011). "Scar scouts Utah center Taylor". ESPN.com.
- "Zane Taylor signs with NFL's New York Jets". The Times-Independent. August 11, 2011.
- "Franklin Promoted to Active Roster". buccaneers.com. September 28, 2011.