Schinus fagara L.
Zanthoxylum fagara or wild lime, is a species of flowering plant that -- despite its name -- is not part of the citrus genus with real limes and other fruit, but is a close cousin in the larger citrus family, Rutaceae. It is native to southern Florida and Texas in the United States, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, and South America as far south as Paraguay. Common names include: lime prickly-ash, wild lime, colima, uña de gato, and corriosa.
Zanthoxylum fagara is a spreading shrub or small tree growing to 7 m (23 ft) tall. Its trunk is generally rough with gray bark and grows to about 0.25 m (0.82 ft) in diameter. The irregularly-shaped branches contain hooked spines with pinnate 5 cm (2.0 in) leaves. The leaves and bark can be crushed to make a bitter-tasting condiment, and much of the tree smells similar to citrus. Lime prickly-ash has a high drought tolerance and grows best in full sun, but it can also survive as an understory shrub. It provides significant food and cover for native wildlife and the leaves host the larvae of many butterflies, such as the giant swallowtail (Papilio cresphontes).
- "Zanthoxylum fagara". Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN). Agricultural Research Service (ARS), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- "Colima, Lime Prickly Ash, Una de Gato, Corriosa". Benny Simpson's Texas Native Shrubs. Texas A&M University. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- "Zanthoxylum fagara" (PDF). Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences. University of Florida. October 1999.
- "Wild-lime, Lime prickly-ash". Natives for Your Neighborhood. Institute for Regional Conservation. Retrieved November 24, 2014.
- "Zanthoxylum fagara" (PDF). Digital Representations of Tree Species Range Maps from "Atlas of United States Trees" by Elbert L. Little, Jr. (and other publications). United States Geological Survey.
|This Rutaceae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This tree-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|