Abeid Amani Karume International Airport
|Abeid Amani Karume
|IATA: ZNZ – ICAO: HTZA
– WMO: 63870
|Owner||Government of Zanzibar|
|Operator||Zanzibar Airports Authority|
|Location||Unguja Island, Zanzibar|
|Elevation AMSL||54 ft / 16 m|
Abeid Amani Karume International Airport (IATA: ZNZ, ICAO: HTZA) (Swahili: Uwanja wa Ndege wa Kimataifa wa Abeid Amani Karume) is the main airport in the Zanzibar Archipelago located on Unguja Island. It is about 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) south of Zanzibar City, the capital of Zanzibar, and has flights to East Africa, Europe, and the Middle East.
It was previously known as Kisauni Airport and Zanzibar International Airport. It was renamed in 2010 in honour of Abeid Amani Karume, the island's first president.
Terminal 1 is active for all landing aircraft. A new shelter on the entrance of the airport has been put in place.
Construction of the second terminal started in January 2011 by the Chinese Beijing Construction Engineering Group. A new apron of 100,000 square metres (1,100,000 sq ft) will replace the existing 21,000 square metres (230,000 sq ft). The project is estimated to cost about US$70.4 million. On completion, it will have the capacity to serve up to 1.5 million passengers per year. The new terminal was expected to be operational in 2014, but construction work was still ongoing in August 2015. Once completed, terminal 1 will become the domestic flight terminal.
Airlines and destinations
|Astral Aviation||Nairobi–Jomo Kenyatta|
|Kenya Airways Cargo||Nairobi–Jomo Kenyatta, Mombasa|
- Number of flights handled (2005): 14,302
- Passenger Traffic (2005): 418,814
- Cargo handled (2005): 566 tons
A Eurofly Airbus A330-200 had a winglet severely damaged by Precision Air ATR 5H-PWC which was taxiing. The tailfin of the ATR impacted the right-hand wingtip of the Eurofly Airbus. It is not known whether the ATR received bad marshaling instruction which led to the collision. The parking situation in Zanzibar has been extremely chaotic in recent times. The matter will now be investigated by the Tanzanian Civil Aviation Authority.
- "TRAFFIC MOVEMENTS STATISTICS ANNUAL REPORT FOR THE YEAR 2014". Tanzania Airport Authoirty. Tanzania Airport Authoirty. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- "Zanzibar forms Airports Authority, modernises aviation infrastructure". Business Times (Tanzania). Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- airliners.de (German) retrieved 23 June 2015
- "flydubai announces three routes in Tanzania". flydubai. 23 September 2014. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Kenya Airways to Resume Zanzibar Service from June 2014". Airline Route. 10 February 2014. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Media from Commons|
|Data from Wikidata|
- Zanzibar International Airport
- Current weather for Zanzibar / Kisauni, Tanzania (HTZA) at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for ZNZ at Aviation Safety Network