Zaphkiel (Hebrew: צפקיאל), also written as Jafkiel, Japhkiel, Tzaphkiel, Zafkiel, Zafchial, Zaphchial, Zaphiel or Zelel, is an archangel. His name means "God's knowledge". He is sometimes equated with Jophiel/Zophiel, but other times considered to be a different angel. Zaphkiel is "chief of the order of thrones and one of the 9 angels that rule Heaven; also one of the 7 archangels." He can watch people when they need to make important decisions and when they need to put them into words for others. If they are unsure of the words, he will help them to make the message more clear. He is associated with the planet Saturn.
Zaphkiel has been adapted for several pieces of modern fiction:
- Zaphkiel is an Archon of the Order of Thrones in Wizards of the Coast's roleplaying game Dungeons & Dragons.
- Zaphkiel is a card in Last Unicorn Games' collectible card game Heresy: Kingdom Come.
- Zaphkiel is one of the antagonists of the video games Star Ocean: The Second Story and Star Ocean: Second Evolution.
- Zaphkiel is an angel in the manga and anime Angel Sanctuary who works to purge the offspring of the forbidden mating between two angels.
- Zaphkiel is portrayed as an angel in Neil Gaiman's Murder Mysteries, but later revealed to be God's Presence manifesting as a wingless angel.
- Zaphkiel is an angel in Steven Brust's To Reign in Hell.
- Zaphkiel is an angel manifested in Date A Live.
- Zaphkiel is the older sister of Gabriel in Gabriel Dropout
- Davidson, Gustav (1971) . A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels. New York: Free Press.