|Genre||Comedy, Fantasy, Teen|
|Story by||Rachelle Skoretz|
|Directed by||Peter DeLuise|
|Theme music composer||James Jandrisch|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||102 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Off-Leash Teleproductions, Inc.|
|Distributor||Muse Distribution International
|Original network||Disney Channel|
|Original release||June 27, 2014|
Zapped is an American Disney Channel Original Movie. Filmed and produced in Vancouver, Canada, the movie began production in early August 2013. It stars Zendaya, Chanelle Peloso, Emilia McCarthy and Spencer Boldman. Zendaya portrays the lead role, Zoey Stevens.
Zoey Stevens (Zendaya) is an average 16-year-old girl who has just moved in with her mother and 4 other boys. Her brother Adam is always in a rush due to being captain of the basketball team. The youngest one, Ben, is always getting dirty. Zach, the middle child, has a habit of making disgusting mixtures. Their father Ted is the basketball team's coach who wakes everyone up at 6:45 in the morning to be prepared. When Zoey arrives at her high school, Adam quickly abandons her and she makes an unlikely friendship with Rachel who shows her to her class.
However, Rachel leads Zoey to the wrong side of the school and she walks in on a science class. She is escorted by Jackson Kale (Spencer Boldman) to the correct room and is watched by Taylor Dean (Emilia McCarthy). Later she arrives at dance tryouts however learns that the pancake mix that Zach made is all over her shoes. When Zoey mixes Taylor's dance routine with her own, Taylor shows her up and sends Zoey and Rachel to the Junior Varsity Team. She goes home to find out the family dog, Humphrey, destroyed her room. Her phone later drops into a bathtub of water, gets thrown out the window, slides down a solar panel and lands in Humphrey's food bowl. The phone dries out overnight in a bowl of rice that Zoey's mother recommends. Zoey arrives at dance practice but learns her group is entirely male and dances horribly. Her dog control app malfunctions and gives commands to boys. She uses the app on her team and it works. When the principal sees that the Junior Varsity team is better than the Varsity team, she proposes a challenge: a dance off competition between the J.V. team and the Varsity Team. When Jackson walks in and sees Zoey showing Taylor up, he leaves and Zoey chases him down using the app to make him kiss her, not realizing what she had done trying to prove a point. Zoey uses the app on her brothers and stepfather, making them quieter, more focused, cleaner and healthier.
When Zoey learns that Adam has college scouts coming to his basketball game, she tries to reverse the app's effects but doesn't know how. The principal schedules the Dance Off for the night of the Basketball Tournament. When Taylor steals Zoey's phone, she tries to find out how Zoey controls boys but fails until Yuki (Louriza Tronco) figures it out. At the game, moments before it starts, Taylor walks in and controls every male in the room. Zoey steps in (and one by one the rest of her family come in) and persuades Taylor to use it on her. At the end Rachel tackles Taylor and the game begins. Zoey figures out how to reverse the app with the word Release, smashes her phone and throws it out, much to Taylor's horror. The basketball game begins and Adam's team wins. The Dance Off begins and as it turns out, the J.V. Team wins with their own creation. At the end it is shown that Zoey and Jackson are dating and Zoey and her stepfamily have finally adjusted to each other. Even though it is not actually shown in the movie, it is commonly believed that after losing the Dance Off, Taylor is suspended.
- Zendaya as Zoey Stevens, the central character of the film.
- Chanelle Peloso as Rachel Todds, Zoey's best friend.
- Spencer Boldman as Jackson, Zoey's love interest and former boyfriend of Taylor Dean.
- Emilia McCarthy as Taylor Dean, Zoey's rival, school diva and the main antagonist.
- Adam DiMarco as Adam Thompson, Zoey's stepbrother who plays basketball.
- Louriza Tronco as Yuki, Taylor's best friend.
- Lucia Walters as Jeannie Stevens, Zoey's mom.
- Aleks Paunovic as Ted Thompson, Zoey's stepdad.
- William Ainscough as Ben Thompson, Zoey's youngest step brother.
- Jedidiah Goodacre as Tripp
- Connor Cowie as Zach Thompson, Zoey's step brother.
- Samuel Patrick Chu as Charlie, Rachel's love interest.
The first promo aired on March 27, 2014 during an episode of Win, Lose or Draw, while a full trailer aired on April 27, 2014 during the Radio Disney Music Awards. Zapped was released on demand and Watch Disney Channel on June 23, 2014. It made its debut on June 27, 2014 on Disney Channel in the United States, and Family Channel in Canada. Disney Channel (UK and Ireland) broadcast the film on July 18, 2014. It premiered in Australia and New Zealand on September 27, 2014. It premiered in Turkey on January 2, 2016 on Disney XD Turkey.
- Michael Ausiello (August 23, 2013). "Exclusive: Shake It Up! Star Zendaya Set to Get Zapped By Disney Channel in 2014". TVLine. Retrieved August 23, 2016.
- "Zendaya to Star In 'Zapped' Slated to Premiere on Disney Channels Around the World in 2014" (Press release). Disney Channel. August 23, 2013. Retrieved June 21, 2016 – via TV by the Numbers.
- "Disney Channel Medianet". Disney Channel. Archived from the original on September 21, 2013. Retrieved May 27, 2014.
- Villareal, Yvonne (May 2, 2014). "Disney Channel sets 'Girl Meets World' premiere date". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- "Zapped Watch the PREMIERE Friday June 27 at 8pm et/pt!". Family Channel. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- "Disney Channel UK on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "Disney's 'Zapped' Draws 5.7 Million; 'Girl Meets World' Premieres to 5.2 Million" (Press release). Disney Channel. June 28, 2014. Retrieved August 13, 2016 – via TV By The Numbers.
- "Weekly Top 10". BARB. Retrieved December 23, 2014.