|Full name||Zarek Chase Valentin|
|Date of birth||August 6, 1991|
|Place of birth||Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|2006||IMG Soccer Academy|
|2013||→ Bodø/Glimt (loan)||28||(1)|
|2017–||→ Portland Timbers 2 (loan)||3||(0)|
|2009–2011||United States U20||31||(0)|
|2012||United States U23||2||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of October 25, 2017
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of March 4, 2012
College and amateur
Valentin graduated from Manheim Township High School before enrolling at the University of Akron in 2009. He started all 25 games for the Zips in his freshman year, and was off the field for only 11 minutes. He was a key contributor in defense and allowed just seven goals all season, helping them finish with a (23-1-0) season until ultimately losing in penalties during the NCAA National Championship in 2009. Although the team didn't take home the title, this was their first year making it to the finals. During just his first year in Ohio, amongst many recognitions, he was named Mid-American Conference Newcomer of the Year, College Soccer News All-Freshman First Team, All-MAC First Team, University of Akron All-Tournament Team Defensive MVP (Sept. 18-20), and made the College Soccer News Freshman Top 100 list.
In his 2010 season at the University of Akron, Valentin helped lead his team to the NCAA Men's Division I Soccer Championship, where the team won the school's first ever National Championship. As an important part of the defense, Valentin let in only 16 goals over the entire season.
At the completion of his 2010 season at the University of Akron, Valentin chose to forgo his final two seasons of collegiate eligibility, declaring for the MLS SuperDraft and signing a Generation Adidas contract with Major League Soccer as one of eleven players that year.
Valentin was drafted in the first round, fourth overall, of the 2011 MLS SuperDraft by Chivas USA. He made his professional debut on March 19, 2011, in Chivas's first game of the 2011 MLS Season, a 3-2 loss to Sporting Kansas City.
After just one year in the Generation Adidas program, Valentin graduated and was announced by the MLS as a 2011 Generation Adidas graduate. This accomplishment made Valentin one of three players to ever graduate from the program in one year. In the 2011 MLS Expansion Draft, Chivas USA took a risk with Valentin, leaving him exposed and was ultimately selected by expansion side Montreal Impact.
On January 12, 2016, The Portland Timbers have acquired defender Zarek Valentin from the Montreal Impact in exchange for an international roster slot for the 2016 season.
Stats accurate as of October 18, 2015
Valentin has been a member of various US Youth National teams, including the U-20s, U-18s, U-17 and U-15s. He currently has 29 caps for the United States U-20 men's national soccer team. Valentin was a valuable part of the 2010 Milk Cup winning squad. He assisted the final goal in their 3-0 victory over Northern Ireland in the final.
On September 15, 2016, Valentin was called up to the Puerto Rico national football team by coach Carlos García Cantarero ahead of two 2017 Caribbean Cup qualifying games against Curaçao and Antigua and Barbuda.
Zarek is the younger brother of fellow retired soccer player Julian Valentin, who played for MLS club LA Galaxy and NASL club FC Tampa Bay. In 2010 Zarek was featured in The New York Times Magazine as one of eleven Next-Gen American Soccer players. Valentin speaks fluent Spanish, and is of Puerto Rican descent.
University of Akron
- Milk Cup U-20 Tournament:
- Winner: 2010
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on May 3, 2014. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 27, 2013. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Jones, Grahame L. (13 January 2011). "Chivas USA's Robin Fraser chooses defender Zarek Valentin with team's first draft pick" – via LA Times.
- Bravo's debut double for Sporting sinks Chivas USA Archived March 22, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Ching, Mapp headline Montreal expansion draft picks". 23 November 2011.
- "Montreal Impact confirm Zarek Valentin will go on loan to Norway". 27 March 2013.
- "Le défenseur Zarek Valentin ne sera pas de retour en 2014". 19 December 2013.
- "Portland Timbers acquire defender Zarek Valentin from Montreal Impact". 12 January 2016.
- "Dan a conocer la preselección de Puerto Rico rumbo a la Copa Caribe". FedeFutbolPR.com.
- "Next-Gen American Soccer - Slide Show - NYTimes.com". www.nytimes.com.
- "Chivas USA selects Zarek Valentin and Victor Estupiñan in first round of MLS SuperDraft - OurSports Central". www.oursportscentral.com.