October 28, 1938 |
|Citizenship||Canada arrived 1962, naturalized 1969|
|Occupation||Performing arts administrator|
|Employer||Sonoma State university, Green music Center, California|
|Salary||$1 million (2008-9 season)|
|Board member of||Barenboim-Said Foundation, treasurer
Advisory Council, Mehli Mehta Foundation (with Zubin)
|Spouse(s)||m. Carmen Lasky, July 1, 1966|
|Parent(s)||Mehli Mehta and Tehmina Mehta|
|Relatives||Zubin Mehta, brother|
|Awards||Bravo award, Dominican Republic, 1996
Arts Entrepreneurship award, Columbia College, 1997
Dushkin award, Music Institute of Chicago, 1998.
Mehta is a chartered accountant. During his career at the public accounting firm Coopers & Lybrand (1962-1981) in Montreal, he rose to partner. He was an accountant at Frederic B. Smart & Co., in London (1957-1962).
Montreal Symphony Orchestra (1981-1990)
Mehta was managing director of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra from 1981-1990.
Ravinia Festival (1990-2000)
Mehta was named executive director of the Ravinia Festival in 1990 and later became president and CEO. During his 10-year tenure he pioneered the jazz festival within Ravinia and a world music series.
New York Philharmonic (2000-2012)
Mehta was appointed New York Philharmonic executive director in September 2000 and received the additional role of president in June 2004. He was instrumental in securing the logistics for the 2008 New York Philharmonic visit to North Korea.
On September 27, 2010 Mehta announced he would step down as president and chief executive of the New York Philharmonic when his contract expires after the 2011-2012 season, after having spent 12 years at the Philharmonic.
He is the brother of Zubin Mehta and son of the late Mehli Mehta, founder of the Bombay Symphony Orchestra. He is married to Canadian soprano Carmen Lasky, who was previously married to his brother Zubin.
- Wakin, Daniel J. (July 17, 2010). "Philharmonic Paid Maazel $3.3 Million in Last Year". New York Times. Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- "Advisory Council, Trustees & committees". Mehli Mehta Foundation. Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- "Zarin Mehta". The Complete Marquis Who's Who (Fee, via Fairfax County Public Library). Marquis Who's Who. 2010. Gale Document Number: GALE|K2020065705. Retrieved 6 Sep 2011. Gale Biography In Context.
- "New York Philharmonic: President and Executive Director Zarin Mehta". Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- Ravinia Festival: About Us - History of Ravinia
- Demick, Barbara (February 27, 2008). "North Korea concert is a logistical feat". LA Times.
- Wakin, Daniel J. (September 27, 2010). "New York Philharmonic Executive to Step Down". New York Times. Retrieved 2011-09-06.