Zarine Khan at IBJA awards and fashion showcase
|Born||Zarine Khan(Zareen Khan)
14 May 1987
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Khan made her screen debut with a leading role in the 2010 Anil Sharma's period film Veer co-starring with Salman Khan for which she was nominated for the Zee Cine Award for Best Female Debut. Khan garnered recognition from her item number "Character Dheela" in Ready, which was one of the highest-grossing Bollywood films of 2011. Khan earned commercial success in Bollywood with Sajid Khan's Housefull 2. The following year, Khan made her Tamil debut in the Tamil film Naan Rajavaga Pogiren, in which she did an item number in the song "Malgove". She achieved further success for her leading roles in the 2014 Punjabi film Jatt James Bond, a box-office success.
Khan was born into a Sunni Pathan family, on 14 May 1987 in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. She speaks Hindi, Urdu, English and Marathi. She completed her intermediate at Rizvi College of Science, Mumbai.
2011: Film debut
Khan wanted to be a doctor but joined acting. Her acting career began while visiting the set of Yuvraj at Subhash Ghai's film school Whistling Woods. Salman Khan noticed her and decided to cast her for his friend Anil Sharma's film Veer because, he said, "She looks the character — the sweet princess she is playing in Veer". After a screen test, Khan was given the lead role of Princess Yashodhara. She gained eight kilograms in order to be more convincing as a 19th-century princess. The film revolves around the 1825 Pindari movement of Rajasthan, when India was ruled by the British. Veer did not do well at the Box office; however, her performance received mix reviews from both critics and public. Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama observed that "Zarine resembles Katrina Kaif, but wears one expression all through". Nikhat Kazmi of Times of India concluded that "Zarine is unimpressive". Rediff.com mentions that "Zarine is average". Critic Subhash K. Jha called her performance a "Zarine's charm adds to her adorable screen presence." Khan went on to nominate for Zee Cine Award for Best Female Debut.
In 2011, Khan did the item number "Character Dheela" with Salman Khan in Anees Bazmee's Ready, parodying characters from Mughal-e-Azam, Sholay and Shri 420 and it was the highest-grossing Bollywood films of 2011.
Khan's second release was Sajid Khan's Comedy film Housefull 2, sequel of Housefull and Hindi remake of the Malayalam film Mattupetti Machan. The film revolves around two cousins Henna and Bobby, the two daughters of the Kapoor family who hate each other very much, a model Jlo love interest of Jolly, the son of Jagga Daku and four Best friends Sunny, Max, Jolly and Jai who fall in love with her. Khan played the role of JLo, a model who is in love with Jolly, played by Ritesh Deshmukh and featured her alongside an ensemble cast including Akshay Kumar, Asin, John Abraham and Jacqueline Fernandez. Khan earned critical acclaim for her performance, with Taran Adarsh stating, "Zarine act more as eye candy. She appears typical sultry and enticing selves; and is befit in her own space." Housefull 2 was the highest-grossing Bollywood films of 2012.
Khan made her Tamil debut with 2013 Vetrimaaran's Naan Rajavaga Pogiren, in which she did an item number in the song "Malgove" alongside Nakul Jaidev. She was appreciated for the song. Taran Adarsh commented, "Zarine Khan's song is high on energy."
Khan's first release of 2014 was Rohit Jugraj's Punjabi film Jatt James Bond, her first role outside the Bollywood. She featured in the role of a Lalli, an innocent Punjabi woman alongside Gippy Grewal. The film received positive reviews from critics, and her performance was particularly praised. Film critic Komal Nahta wrote "Zarine Khan delivers an award-winning performance. She is extraordinary and lives the role of Lalli, making every scene in which she appears immensely watchable for her brilliance!"
As of March 2014, Khan has several projects in various stages of production. She is all set to appear in Tamil film Karikalan directed by Gandhi Krishna, in which she is playing the lead role of Velir Princess opposite Vikram. Zarine upcoming films are David Dhawan's Partner 2, which is the sequel to Partner, in which she will star alongside Salman Khan, Sanjay Dutt and Govinda, Remo D'Souza's Amar Must Die opposite Rajeev Khandelwal and Hate Story 3 opposite Sharman Joshi, Karan Singh Grover and Daisy Shah. She has also signed for her second punjabi film titled Ishq My Religion opposite Arjan Bajwa.
Khan is the brand ambassador for Sweet Dreams Lounge wear, a popular line of relaxed clothing in India. She is also the brand ambassador for the education center Samalkha Group of Institutions.
Khan has participated in a number of concerts and award ceremonies. She took part in 11th IIFA Awards with actor Salman Khan. In late 2012, she performed at Dubai Festival City's Ahlan Bollywood Concert with Salman Khan, Priyanka Chopra, Sophie Choudry, Rahat Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Sohail Khan. In 2013, Khan performed at GR8! Women Awards with other Bollywood actors (including Asin, Raveena Tandon, Reema Kagti, Bhagyashree Patwardhan, Richa Chadda, Farah Khan and Disha Vakani).
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2010||Veer||Princess Yashodhara||Hindi||Nominated - Zee Cine Award for Best Female Debut|
|2011||Ready||Khushi||Hindi||Special appearance in song "Character Dheela"|
|2013||Naan Rajavaga Pogiren||Malgove||Tamil||Special appearance in song "Malgove"|
|2014||Jatt James Bond||Lalli||Punjabi|
|2015||The Legend of Michael Mishra||TBA||Hindi||Filming|
|2015||Amar Must Die||TBA||Hindi||Filming|
|2015||Ishq My Religion||TBA||Punjabi||Filming|
|2015||Hate Story 3||TBA||Hindi||Announced|
- "Zarine Khan: Veer ki Heer!". The Times of India. 23 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-24.
- bollyb (2013-09-18). "Will Elli Avram be Salman Khan's next lady 'friend'?". Bollywoodlife.com. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- Vaibhavi V Risbood (2013-08-21). "Finally, Zareen gets over Katrina's 'look alike' tag". The Times Of India. TNN. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Sunny Leone & Zarine Khan Lookalike".
- Mangal Dalal (8 January 2010). "When Men Were Men". Indian Express. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
Asked about whether it was a risk casting Zarine Khan, the debutant from the UK, Khan says: “She’s a Pathan girl who speaks Hindi and Urdu well and was spectacular in the screen test. It was pure luck.”
- Mangal Dalal (8 January 2010). "‘Veer’ also has a social message behind it: Salman Khan". Express India. Archived from the original on 8 January 2010. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
Asked about whether it was a risk casting Zarine Khan, the debutant from the UK, Khan says: “She’s a Pathan girl who speaks Hindi and Urdu well and was spectacular in the screen test.
- "No bikini for me: Zarine Khan". Mid-Day (IANS). 2010-01-27. Retrieved 2010-11-22.
- Natasha Sahgal (11 January 2010). "Zarine Khan is living a dream as the heroine in 'Veer'". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2010-11-22.
- Soumyadipta Banerjee (24 January 2010). "Zarine Khan is a tough cookie". Daily News & Analysis. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- Deepa Karmalkar (21 November 2008). "'No candlelight dinners for me...'". Screen. Retrieved 27 January 2010.[dead link]
- Subhadeep Bhattacharjee (16 December 2009). "Salman made Zarine Khan gain weight". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- Taran Adarsh. "Review: Veer is a colossal disappointment!". Sify Movies. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- Nikhat Kazmi (22 January 2010). "Veer movie review". Times of India. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- Shah, Kumal (5 May 2011). "Sonakshi isn't my best friend: Zarine". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- Salman & Zarine Khan - Character Dheela
- Kat look-alike Zarine Khan sizzles in 'Character Dheela'|Movies News Photos-IBNLive
- "Zeenat Aman & Zarine walk the ramp for YS 18 at IIJW 2012 Day - 3". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- "Bollywood actress Zarine Khan walks the ramp to showcase jewellery creations by designer group YS 18 during the third season of India International Jewellery Week (IIJW) in Mumbai on August 21, 2012". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- Taran Adarsh (2012-04-06). "Housefull 2". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Housefull 2 Crossed Rs. 100 crore Mark At Box-Office In 17 Days". Koimoi.com. 2012-04-23. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- B-town actresses turn item girls for K’wood - The Times of India
- 'Jatt James Bond' collects Rs 7 crore in first four days - IBNLive
- Salman Khan's protege Zarine Khan makes her debut in Punjabi cinema with 'Jatt James Bond' | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis
- Beautiful Zarine Khan At The Jaat James Bond Promotions - Oneindia Boldsky
- Vindu Dara Singh elated with Jatt James Bond success - Hindustan Times
- Zarine Khan: Don't know what led to misconceptions about my nationality and age - IBNLive
- "Arjan Bajwa and Zarine Khan to star in ‘Ishq My Religion’".
- [dead link]
- "Zarine Khan, Arjan Bajwa pair up for a Punjabi flick".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zarine Khan.|
- Zarine Khan at the Internet Movie Database
- Zarine Khan on Twitter
- Zarine Khan on Facebook
- Zarine Khan on Instagram