|Studio album by|
|Recorded||August 6, - October 28, 1970|
|Studio||Atlantic Studios, New York City|
|Genre||Jazz fusion, hard bop, soul jazz|
|Joe Zawinul chronology|
Zawinul is an album by jazz composer and pianist Joe Zawinul recorded in 1970 by Zawinul performing music for two electric pianos, flute, trumpet, soprano saxophone, two contra basses and percussion. The album reached number 17 in the Billboard Jazz album charts.
The Allmusic review by Richard S. Ginell awarded the album 4 stars, stating, "Conceptually, sonically, this is really the first Weather Report album in all but name, confirming that Joe Zawinul was the primary creative engine behind the group from the beginning".
|Rolling Stone||(not rated)|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
All compositions by Joe Zawinul
- "Doctor Honoris Causa" – 13:48
- "In a Silent Way" – 4:51
- "His Last Journey" – 4:36
- "Double Image" – 10:32
- "Arrival in New York" – 2:01
- Recorded at Atlantic Recording Studios, New York, N.Y
- Joe Zawinul – acoustic and electric piano
- Herbie Hancock – electric piano
- George Davis (tracks 1-3 & 5), Hubert Laws (track 4) – flute
- Woody Shaw (tracks 1, 2, 4 & 5), Jimmy Owens (track 3) – trumpet
- Earl Turbinton (tracks 1-3 & 5), Wayne Shorter (track 4) – soprano saxophone
- Miroslav Vitouš, Walter Booker – bass
- Billy Hart, David Lee, Joe Chambers – percussion
- Jack DeJohnette – melodica (track 3), percussion (track 4)
- Gene Paul - recording engineer
- Lew Hahn - recording and remixing engineer
- Ed Freeman - cover design and photography
|1971||Billboard Jazz Albums||17|
- "Zawinul - Joe Zawinul | Awards | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- Ginell, R. S. Allmusic Review accessed February 1, 2010.
- Bangs, Lester. "Joe Zawinul: Zawinul : Music Reviews : Rolling Stone". Archived from the original on 25 July 2008. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 213. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.