Zayed National Museum
مَتْحَف زَايِد ٱلْوَطَنِي (in Arabic)
|Location||Saadiyat Island, Abu Dhabi, UAE|
|Architect||Foster + Partners|
|Website||Zayed National Museum|
Zayed National Museum (Arabic: مَتْحَف زَايِد ٱلْوَطَنِي, romanized: Matḥaf Zāyid Al-Waṭanī) is a planned museum, to be located in Abu Dhabi, the UAE. It is designed as a memorial to the late Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the founding father and first president of the UAE. The museum is planned to be the centrepiece of the Saadiyat Island Cultural District, and will showcase the history, culture, and economic transformation of the Emirates.
The museum has been designed by Foster + Partners with five solar thermal towers that will act as chimneys to draw cool air through the building. The towers are shaped like falcon wings to commemorate Zayed's love of falconry.
The museum was projected for completion in 2013, however, as of November 2017, construction has not yet begun. According to The New York Times, the British Museum thinks that it is unlikely that any items will be loaned under the current contract, which ends in 2019.
- www.fosterandpartners.com, Foster + Partners /. "Zayed National Museum | Foster + Partners". www.fosterandpartners.com. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- Zendera, Yamurai. "TDIC floats Zayed National Museum tender | ConstructionWeekOnline.com". www.constructionweekonline.com. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- "Zayed National Museum, Abu Dhabi Building - e-architect". e-architect. 2010-11-25. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- "British Museum to help launch Zayed National Museum in Abu Dhabi". eTurboNews. July 25, 2009. Retrieved October 24, 2011.
- "Construction Delays Sink British Museum's Deal With Abu Dhabi". NYT. October 30, 2017. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
|This article related to a museum in the United Arab Emirates is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|