Pachulia with the Atlanta Hawks in 2008
|No. 27 – Dallas Mavericks|
|Position||Center / Power forward|
February 10, 1984 |
|Listed height||6 ft 11 in (2.11 m)|
|Listed weight||275 lb (125 kg)|
|NBA draft||2003 / Round: 2 / Pick: 42nd overall|
|Selected by the Orlando Magic|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Zaza Pachulia (Georgian: ზაზა ფაჩულია; February 10, 1984) is a Georgian professional basketball player who currently plays for the Dallas Mavericks of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He was born as Zaur Pachulia, but his first name was legally changed to Zaza.
Pachulia was a very successful basketball player at a very early age in Georgia. He was approximately 6 feet 8 inches (2.03 meters) at the age of 13. He was scouted and recruited by the Turkish professional team Ülkerspor when he was a teenager. He became a member of the Georgian junior national basketball team at a young age, leading them at center to beat other Eastern European rivals, such as Belarus and Bulgaria.
Once he distinguished himself with Ülkerspor, Pachulia was drafted in the second round by the Orlando Magic during the 2003 NBA draft. After being selected in the 2004 expansion draft by the Charlotte Bobcats, Zaza was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks where he played the 2004–05 season. While with the Bucks, Pachulia averaged 6.2 points and 5.1 rebounds per game off the bench. After he spent one season with the Bucks, the Atlanta Hawks became interested in him.
Pachulia signed a contract with the Atlanta Hawks in the 2005 off-season and became the Hawks' starting center, when he averaged 11.7 points and 7.9 rebounds per game during the 2005–06 season. He began as the starting center during the 2006–07 season but later came off the bench. An on-court altercation between the relatively obscure Pachulia and Celtics star Kevin Garnett led one writer to dub Pachulia "Balboa" after the lead character from the Rocky series of movies. Pachulia re-signed with the Hawks on July 13, 2009, agreeing to a multi-year contract.
On July 17, 2013, Pachulia signed with the Milwaukee Bucks. On March 20, 2015, he recorded 22 points and 21 rebounds in a 127-129 overtime loss to the Brooklyn Nets. His 21 rebounds included 18 offensive rebounds, which marked an NBA season-high and a Milwaukee Bucks franchise record.
On July 9, 2015, Pachulia was traded to the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for a future second-round pick. He made his debut for the Mavericks in the team's season opener against the Phoenix Suns on October 28, recording a double-double, with 10 points and 10 rebounds in a 111–95 win.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Hawks Sign Zaza Pachulia, Aug. 11, 2005; article retrieved March 21, 2007
- Zaza Pachulia. NBA.com.
- "Atlanta Hawks: If NBA lockout lingers, Zaza Pachulia may play in Turkey".
- Bobcats Acquire Draft Picks In Two Trades
- HAWKS: Everything You Need To Know About...Hawks vs Celtics | Game 6 | May 2, 2008
- "HAWKS SIGN MIKE BIBBY, ZAZA PACHULIA". NBA.com. 2009-07-13. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Galatasaray brings in Zaza Pachulia
- Bucks Sign Free Agent Center Zaza Pachulia
- Lopez, Nets pull out 3-overtime victory over slumping Bucks
- "Mavericks Acquire center Zaza Pachulia from Bucks". NBA.com. July 9, 2015. Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- "8 Dallas players reach double figures, Mavs rout Suns 111-95". NBA.com. October 28, 2015. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com, or Basketball-Reference.com
- Euroleague.net Profile