|Governor of the Czech National Bank|
1 December 2000 – 30 June 2010
|Preceded by||Josef Tošovský|
|Succeeded by||Miroslav Singer|
|Vice-Governor of the Czech National Bank|
13 February 1999 – 30 November 2000
|Member of the bank board of the Czech National Bank (CNB)|
13 February 1999 – 30 June 2010
|Representative of City of Prague|
16 October 2010 – 16 October 2014
|Partner responsible for financial sector services at KPMG Czech Republic|
|Chairman of the Supervisory Board of ČSOB, a.s.|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Pavel Kavánek|
|Born||19 October 1960|
České Budějovice, Czechoslovakia
Zdeněk Tůma (born 19 October 1960) is a Czech economist. From 2000 to 2010, he was Governor of the Czech National Bank (CNB). From 2011 to 2019 he worked in the private sector at the audit and consulting firm KPMG Czech Republic. Since 2019, he has been the chair of the supervisory board of the ČSOB Group.
Studies and academia
Zdeněk Tůma was born on 19 October 1960 in České Budějovice, Czechoslovakia. After graduating from the Business Academy in České Budějovice, he studied at the Faculty of Trade at the University of Economics in Prague from 1979 to 1983, where he was a lecturer for another three years after graduation. In 1986, he joined the Institute of Forecasting of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences as a researcher, where he completed postgraduate studies in economics from 1987 to 1992. After completing his postgraduate studies, he moved to the Institute of Economic Studies at the Faculty of Social Sciences of Charles University, where he became head of the Department of Macroeconomics. He was then appointed associate professor there in 1995.
He continues to lecture at Charles University in Prague. He has been or is a member of various scientific and administrative boards of Czech universities (Charles University, Czech Technical University in Prague, Prague University of Economics and Business, University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice, Academy of Performing Arts in Prague). Since 2000 he has been a member of the Board of Governors and since 2018 he has been the Vice-Chairman of the Board of Governors of The English College in Prague.
- United Kingdom (London School of Economics, University of Cambridge);
- Netherlands (Tinbergen Institute in Amsterdam);
- United States (George Mason University in Washington, DC).
From 1993 to 1995, he worked as an advisor to the Minister of Industry and Trade Vladimír Dlouhý. In 1995, Zdeněk Tůma became the chief economist of Patria Finance a.s. and worked there until 1998. From 1 June 1998 he served as Executive Director of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, until he joined the Czech National Bank in early 1999.
At the CNB (1999–2010)
On 13 February 1999, President Václav Havel appointed him Vice Governor of the Czech National Bank, and then on 1 December 2000 as its Governor. He was confirmed in this position by President Václav Klaus for another six-year term on 11 February 2005. Along with the other members of the Bank Board, Tůma had a wide range of responsibilities as Governor of the CNB, including monetary policy, financial market supervision, foreign exchange reserve management, the payment system and currency processing.
As governor, he represented the Czech Republic at the International Monetary Fund and the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) from 2000 to 2010. From 1 May 2004, when the Czech Republic joined the European Union, he was also a member of the General Council of the European System of Central Banks. He is a member of the Czech Economic Society and served as its President from 1999 to 2001.
Tůma announced on 15 April 2010 that he would resign as Governor of the CNB as of 30 June 2010. He submitted his resignation to President Václav Klaus on 18 June 2010. Miroslav Singer was appointed as his replacement.
In the 2010 Prague municipal election, Tůma led TOP 09's candidate list as the party's mayoral candidate. From 2011 to 2012, he was chair of the Finance Committee of Prague City Council. On 15 October 2014, he resigned from TOP 09 due to disputes within the party's Prague organization, and switched his support to the Mayor of Prague, Tomáš Hudeček.
KPMG and ČSOB
He returned to the private sector in 2011, when he joined the audit and advisory firm KPMG Czech Republic as Partner in charge of services for the financial sector. His responsibilities also included advising on sports, lotteries and gaming. He left KPMG in 2019, and from 16 October that year he took up the position of chair of the Supervisory Board of ČSOB a.s., where he succeeded Pavel Kavánek.
- From 2011 to 2019, he was Chairman of the Board of the CERGE-EI Foundation, which supports economic education and research.
- Since 2016, he has been a member of the Supervisory Board of the Committee of Good Will – Olga Havlová Foundation.
- From 2012 to 2013, he served as a member of the board of directors of the international non-profit organization Aspen Institute Central Europe o.p.s. and since 2021, he has served as a member of the supervisory board of this company.
- From 2020 to 2023 he was a member of the Presidium of the Czech Banking Association (CBA).
- From 2002 to 2016, he served as a member of the board of trustees of the Museum Kampa – Jan and Meda Mládek Foundation.
- Since 2020 he has been the managing director of IRQ management s.r.o. and since the same year he has also been the chairman of the supervisory board of IRQ FUNDS SICAV a.s.
- Since 2021, he has been a member of the board of directors of the Global Institute for Macroprudential Modeling, z.ú., which deals with macroeconomic analysis and macro-financial modeling.
- In 2022, he was admitted as a Fellow of the College of Central Bankers.
- He is a member of the Supervisory Board of The Bakala Foundation, which implements programs and projects aimed at supporting the development of young talents (investigative journalists, independent journalists, aspiring architects, those interested in studying abroad).
- From 2022 to 2023, he was an economic advisor to the President Petr Pavel during his election campaign.
- He is a member of the Supervisory Board of K&H Bank in Hungary.
- Štefan Füle
- Liikanen report
- TOPAZ (think tank)
- 2010 Prague municipal election
- Czech Republic and the euro
- List of people associated with the London School of Economics
- Hanno R. Ellenbogen Citizenship Award
- "Bývalý guvernér ČNB Zdeněk Tůma nahradí Pavla Kavánka ve funkci předsedy dozorčí rady skupiny ČSOB" [Former CNB Governor Zdeněk Tůma to replace Pavel Kavánek as Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the ČSOB Group] (in Czech). ČSOB. 24 June 2019. Retrieved 4 April 2022.
- "Zdeněk Tůma; Partner 2010-2019; KPMG Česká republika" [Zdeněk Tůma; Partner 2010-2019; KPMG Czech Republic] (in Czech). KPMG. Retrieved 4 April 2022.
- "Zdeněk Tůma (Životopis)". Finančníci.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 4 April 2022.
- "Zdeněk Tůma (Partner v poradenské společnosti KPMG)" [Zdeněk Tůma (Partner at KPMG)]. Roklen 24 (in Czech). Retrieved 4 April 2022.
- Plesl, Jaroslav (17 July 2010). "PROFIL: Tůma měl vždy blízko k pravici. A vždy byl blízko Schwarzenberga" [PROFILE: Tůma has always been close to the right. And he was always close to Schwarzenberg]. Ihned.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 3 April 2022.
- "doc. Ing. Zdeněk Tůma CSc". Institut ekonomických studií; Fakulta sociálních věd; Univerizta Karlova (in Czech). Institute of Economic Studies; Faculty of Social Sciences; Charles University. Retrieved 3 April 2022.
- "Dozorčí radu ČSOB povede bývalý guvernér ČNB Tůma" [ČSOB supervisory board to be headed by former CNB governor Tůma]. E15.cz (in Czech). Czech News Agency. 24 June 2019. Retrieved 4 April 2022.
- "Zdeněk Tůma: vztahy k různým subjektům" [Zdeněk Tůma: relations to various entities]. Podnikatel.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 3 April 2022.
- Votýpková, Dana; Vincourek, Lukáš (30 June 2010). "Zdeněk Tůma je poslední den guvernérem České národní banky. Experti jeho přínos oceňují" [Zdeněk Tůma's last day as Governor of the Czech National Bank. Experts praise his contribution.] (in Czech). Czech Radio. Retrieved 4 April 2022.
- "Nový guvernér: Miroslav Singer nahradil Zdeňka Tůmu v čele ČNB" [New governor: Miroslav Singer replaces Zdeněk Tůma as CNB head]. iDNES.cz (in Czech). 19 June 2010. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- "Nakonec jsem Karlovi kývnul, přiznal Tůma. Bude pražským lídrem TOP 09" [In the end, I gave the nod to Karel, admits Tůma. He will be the Prague leader of TOP 09]. iDNES.cz (in Czech). 14 July 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2010.
- Wolfová, Pavlína (23 October 2017). "Exguvernér ČNB, dnes partner v KPMG Zdeněk Tůma v klubu" (in Czech). Vision Business Club. Retrieved 4 April 2022.
- "Zastupitelstvo hlavního města Prahy" [Prague City Council] (in Czech). City of Prague. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "Pražští rivalové Hudeček a Vávra odešli z TOP 09, přidal se i Tůma" [Prague rivals Hudeček and Vávra left TOP 09, Tůma joined.]. iDNES.cz (in Czech). 15 October 2014. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Zdeněk Tůma Joins Nadace CERGE-EI Board 25 January, 2011" [Zdeněk Tůma, former Governor of the Czech National Bank, has joined the Nadace CERGE-EI Board as its Chairman]. Cerge II cz. 25 January 2011. Retrieved 3 April 2022.
- "Nadace CERGE - EI aktuálně - Změny a události ve společnosti (27.04.2019 – Vymazána správní rada Zdeněk Tůma)" [CERGE-EI Foundation news - Changes and events in the company]. Rejstřík firem (in Czech). 3 April 2022. Retrieved 3 April 2022.
- "Who We Are". The Aspen Institute Central Europe. Retrieved 4 April 2022.
- "IRQ management s.r.o. , Praha; IČO 09368043". Rejstřík firem (in Czech). Czech Trade Register of Companies. Retrieved 4 April 2022.
- "IRQ FUNDS SICAV a.s. , Praha; IČO 09610863". Rejstřík firem (in Czech). Kurzy.cz. Retrieved 4 April 2022.
- "Global Institute for Macroprudential Modeling, z.ú. , Brno; IČO 13981293". Rejstřík firem (in Czech). Kurzy.cz. Retrieved 4 April 2022.
- "College of Central Bankers" [2022: Zdeněk Tůma, Former Governor of the Czech National Bank]. Global Independence Center. Retrieved 28 August 2023.
- "O nás (Dozorčí rada: Daniel Rosický; Zdeněk Tůma)" [About us (Supervisory Board: Daniel Rosický; Zdeněk Tůma)] (in Czech). Bakala Foundation. Retrieved 28 August 2023.
- "Lebeda, Zajíček či Princová. Kdo jsou klíčoví lidé nastupujícího prezidenta" [Lebeda, Zajíček or Princová. Who are the key people of the incoming president] (in Czech). e15.cz. 8 March 2023. Retrieved 1 April 2023.
- "The Bank's management". K&H Bank (Hungary). Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- List of works in the Complete Catalogue of the Czech Republic, whose author or subject is Zdeněk Tůma in the Database of the National Library of the Czech Republic
- Zdeněk Tůma in Otázky Václava Moravce, talk show of the Czech Television (in Czech)
- Interview at Roklen 24 (in Czech)