|Industry||Computer hardware, Manufacturing, Retail, Health care, Transportation and logistics|
|Headquarters||Lincolnshire, Illinois, U.S.|
|Michael A. Smith|
(Lead Independent Director)
(Executive Chair of the Board)
|Products||RFID printers/encoders, barcode printers, mobile printers, card imaging printers, kiosk printers, real-time locating systems, UWB and related supplies and services, rugged mobile computers and tablets, scanners, software|
|Revenue||$5.781 billion (FY 2022)|
|$529 million (FY 2022)|
|$463 million (FY 2022)|
|Total assets||$7.529 billion (FY 2022)|
|Total equity||$2.733 billion (FY 2022)|
Number of employees
Zebra Technologies Corporation is an American mobile computing company specializing in technology used to sense, analyze, and act in real time, sometimes known as smart data capture. The company manufactures and sells marking, tracking, and computer printing technologies. Its products include mobile computers and tablets, software, thermal barcode label and receipt printers, RFID smart label printers/encoders/fixed & handheld readers/antennas, autonomous mobile robots (AMR’s) & machine vision (MV), and fixed industrial scanning hardware & software.
Zebra was incorporated in 1969 as Data Specialties Incorporated, a manufacturer of high-speed electromechanical products. The company changed its focus to specialty on-demand labeling and ticketing systems in 1982 and became Zebra Technologies Corporation in 1986. Zebra became a publicly traded company in 1991.
In 1998, Zebra Technologies merged with Eltron International, Inc. In 2000, Comtec Information Systems was acquired by Zebra Technologies, followed in 2003 by the acquisition of Atlantek, Inc., which was a manufacturer of photo ID printers.
In 2004, the company expanded into RFID smart label manufacturing. In the following years, Zebra also acquired Swecoin, WhereNet Corp, Proveo AG, and Navis Holdings (later divested in 2011).
The company bought the Enterprise Solutions Group (ESG) in 2008 and renamed the group Zebra Enterprise Solutions in 2009. In the same year, Multispectral Solutions, Inc. was acquired. In 2012, the companies LaserBand, and StepOne Systems were purchased with a cash price of $1.5 million.
In 2013, the company acquired Hart Systems for $94 million in cash from the private equity firm Topspin Partners LBO.
In 2014, Zebra acquired Motorola Solutions' Enterprise Division in a $3.45 billion transaction, providing mobile computing and advanced data capture communications technologies and services. Zebra's acquisition of the Enterprise Division included the Symbol Technologies and Psion product lines. Also in 2014, Zebra provided its real-time location system (RTLS) in NFL stadiums to track players and officials and provide location-based data for the NFL's Next Gen Stats program. Zebra’s partnership with the NFL extends through the 2025 football season.
In 2019, Zebra acquired Temptime Corporation, a provider of temperature monitoring devices to the healthcare industry. That same year, Zebra also acquired Profitect, a retail software company that developed a product line used for tracking and identifying inventory losses.
Zebra Technologies has more than 128 offices in 55 countries, including Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Japan, Mexico, Russia, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom. The company also has over 10,000+ partners[clarification needed] across 180 countries. In the 2021 annual report, Zebra stated that it traded in 180 countries, with approximately 128 facilities and 9,800 employees.
- "Zebra Technologies Annual Report 2022" (PDF).
- "FORM 10-K" (PDF). UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION. 2020-12-31.
- "Zebra : Zebra Technologies Corp.'s shareholders..." 26 October 1998.
- "History of Zebra Technologies Corporation – FundingUniverse". www.fundinguniverse.com.
- "Zebra to maker of photo ID card printers". 20 November 2003.
- "RedPrairie Provides Support for Zebra RP4T Mobile Thermal RFID - Bloomberg". Bloomberg (Press release). 24 September 2015. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015.
- "Form 10K SEC Filings". 25 September 2016.[dead link]
- Journal, RFID (12 January 2007). "Zebra Active RFID Provider WhereNet - 2007-01-12 - Page 1 - RFID Journal". www.rfidjournal.com.
- Journal, RFID (16 October 2007). "Zebra Navis, Proveo - 2007-10-16 - Page 1 - RFID Journal". www.rfidjournal.com.
- "Zebra Technologies sells Navis unit for $190M". Crain's Chicago Business. 31 January 2011.
- "Zebra Technologies acquires Multispectral Solutions". DQ Channels. 15 May 2008.
- Barr, Diana (13 July 2012). "LaserBand sold to Zebra Technologies". St. Louis Business Journal.
- "Retail Touch Points". EWEBsite. 19 January 2013. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- Osborne, Charlie. "Zebra Technologies Motorola enterprise unit for $3.5bn - ZDNet". ZDNet.
- "Zebra". BIAS Tech. 19 March 2020.
- Belzer, Jason. "NFL Partners With Zebra Technologies To Provide Next Generation Player Tracking". Forbes.
- "NFL Next Gen Stats".
- "Zebra Technologies extends partnership with NFL through 2025 season". SBJ.
- Lunden, Ingrid (July 5, 2018). "Zebra Technologies is buying rugged tablet maker Xplore for around $90M in cash". Tech Crunch.
- "Zebra Technologies to Temptime Corporation". www.businesswire.com. 2019-01-28. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- Denman, Tim (May 20, 2019). "Zebra Technologies to Acquire Profitect". RIS.
- Yablonko, Yasmin (May 22, 2019). "Zebra buys Israeli retail analytics co Profitect for $100m". Globes.
- "Zebra Technologies Completes Acquisition of Reflexis Systems, Inc". www.businesswire.com. 2020-09-02. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- "Zebra Technologies to Acquire Reflexis Systems, Inc". businesswire.com (Press release). 28 July 2020. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- "Zebra Technologies makes acquisition, launches machine vision and fixed scanning solutions". Modern Materials Handling. 18 May 2021.
- Allinson, Mark (25 October 2021). "Zebra Technologies expands Fetch Robotics portfolio with solution to optimize fulfillment workflows". Robotics & Automation.
- Kanaan, Maha (4 November 2021). "Zebra Technologies' Acquisition of Antuit Group". Global Legal Chronicle.
- "Zebra Technologies Completes Acquisition of Matrox Imaging". Zebra Technologies. Retrieved 2022-06-07.
- "Zebra Technologies Inc". Esri.
- "Zebra Headquarters and Locations". Craft.
- "America's Greatest Workplaces for Diversity 2023". Newsweek. 9 December 2022.
- Business data for Zebra Technologies Corporation: