|Type of business||Public|
Type of site
Video On Demand
|Available in||English, Hindi, Bengali, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Marathi, Bhojpuri, Gujarati and Punjabi|
|Area served||190 + countries|
|Owner||Zee Entertainment Enterprises|
|Industry||Entertainment, Mass Media|
|Users||76.4 million worldwide (total),|
|Launched||14 February 2018|
ZEE5 is an Indian video on demand website run by Essel Group via its subsidiary Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited (ZEEL). It was launched in India on 14 February 2018 with content in 12 languages. ZEE5 mobile app is available on Web, Android, iOS, Smart TVs, among other devices.
The platform also provided the first Tamil web series in 2018 with the title America Mappillai. In the same year, the platform also introduced another web series titles, Kallachirippu which was produced by popular filmmaker Karthik Subbaraj. and Karenjit Kaur – The Untold Story of Sunny Leone, a biographical web series on Sunny Leone.
The service has been launched everywhere except for United States, because of Dish Network's clause in the contract ZEE has with the satellite provider, which is the major provider for Indian channels in the country.
In 2018, ZEE5 was launched with its existing roster of movies, and simultaneously was streaming original shows likes America Mappillai, Life Sahi Hai, Karenjit Kaur – The Untold Story of Sunny Leone which became an instant hit among the audience and kept producing more original shows.
The platform also offers a mobile app on all platforms, and it has partnered with global tech giants like Applicaster, Lotame, Talamoos and A.I. video enhancement startup Minute.ly to provide enhanced UI/UX and improved application Performance.
- "ZEE5 in its first quarter financial result of FY 20 revealed the MAU of the streaming platform as of June 2019". Indian Television.
- "With Ditto TV, Zee eyes a game-changer". DNA India. 1 March 2012.
- "Flashed Yesterday: Zee enters 'Over The Top TV' segment with Ditto TV". exchange4media.com. 1 March 2012. Archived from the original on 12 August 2014.
- "America Mappillai: A ZEE5 Originals Tamil Web Series". www.desiblitz.com. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- "ZEE5 launches its first Tamil original series 'America Mappillai'". www.desiblitz.com. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "ZEE5 to launch Tamil web series 'Kallachirippu'". BizAsia | Media, Entertainment, Showbiz, Events and Music. 24 July 2018. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "Karthik Subbaraj is thrilled about web series Kallachirippu". The Indian Express. 25 July 2018. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- Laghate, Gaurav (24 January 2019). "Zee to go OTT-only in Europe, Australia; plans to pull plug on linear service". The Economic Times. Retrieved 11 July 2019.
- "Zee5 partners with Israeli firm Applicaster to improve viewer experience". The Hindu.
- "ZEE5 partners with Israeli tech company Applicaster". Business Standard.
- "ZEE5 Partners With Leading AI Video Enhancement Startup Minute.ly to Boost Watching Experience for Tens of Millions of Users in India and Around the World". PR News Wire.
- "ZEE5 chooses Applicaster to enhance app experience". Rapid TV news.