Zein Al-Sharaf Talal
|Zein Al-Sharaf Talal|
Zein and Hussein in 1941
|Queen consort of Jordan|
|Tenure||20 July 1951 – 11 August 1952|
2 August 1916|
Alexandria, Sultanate of Egypt
|Died||26 April 1994
|Father||Sharif Jamal 'Ali bin Nasser|
|Mother||Wijdan Shakir Pasha|
She was born in Alexandria, Egypt into a family of Turkish origin. Her mother was Wijdan Hanim, the daughter of Shakir Pasha, who was the grandnephew of the Ottoman-Turkish Cypriot Governor of Cyprus Kâmil Pasha. Her father, Sharif Jamal bin Nasser, was the Governor of Hauran; he was the nephew of Sharif Hussein bin Ali of Mecca.
Marriage and children
Zein married then her first cousin Prince Talal bin Abdullah of Jordan on 27 November 1934, with whom she had four sons and two daughters:
- King Hussein (14 November 1935 – 7 February 1999)
- Princess Asma (deceased, at birth in 1937)
- Prince Muhammad (born 2 October 1940)
- Prince Hassan (born 20 March 1947)
- Prince Muhsin (deceased)
- Princess Basma (born 11 May 1951)
She took part in the writing of the 1952 Constitution that gave certain rights to women and enhanced the social development of the country. She also created the first women’s union of Jordan in 1944. Queen Zein further filled a constitutional vacuum after the assassination of the late King Abdullah I in 1951, while the newly proclaimed King Talal was being treated outside the Kingdom. The Queen again performed this role during the period between August 1952, when her son, King Hussein, was proclaimed monarch, and May 1953, when he assumed constitutional duties at the age of eighteen.
Following the arrival of Palestinian refugees into Jordan after the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, she led national relief efforts to help the tens of thousands of refugees. She was also instrumental in establishing the women's branch of the Jordan National Red Crescent Society in 1948. Throughout her life, Queen Zein dedicated time and energy to the Um Al Hussein orphanage in Amman.
- Malaysia : Honorary Grand Commander of the Order of the Defender of the Realm (SMN, 24 April 1965).
- هذه الاميرة كان طلال يحبها وكان من الممكن ان تكون اما للملك حسين ولو لم تقتل الملكة زين الملكة علياء طوقان لربما تغير وجه الاردن, Arab Times, retrieved 6 September 2017,
بخاصة بعد أن اجبر الملك عبدالله ابنه طلال على الزواج من تركية ولدت في مصر اسمها زين وهي أم الملك حسين ...
- Jordan remembers Queen Zein, Jordan Times, 2015, retrieved 6 September 2017
- "Queen Zein of Jordan". Unofficial Royalty. 2017-09-17. Retrieved 2017-10-11.
- "jordan2". www.royalark.net. Retrieved 2017-10-11.
- "Senarai Penuh Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat Persekutuan Tahun 1965" (PDF).
|Queen consort of Jordan
20 July 1951 – 11 August 1952