Zeki Rıza Sporel
|Date of birth||February 28, 1898|
|Place of birth||Istanbul, Ottoman Empire|
|Date of death||November 3, 1969(aged 71)|
|Place of death||Turkey|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only
Zeki Rıza Sporel (February 28, 1898 – November 3, 1969) was a Turkish football player. He plied his trade at the striker position for Fenerbahçe and the Turkey national football team. His career started in the Fenerbahçe youth teams until he was promoted to the senior team. Zeki spent his entire career with the club, setting numerous records. He was also a forerunner for Turkey, becoming the first player to score for the team. He is often cited as one of the best strikers in Turkish football history.
Early life & club career
Born in Istanbul in 1898, Zeki's career began in the Fenerbahçe youth system, where he spent three years. He was promoted to the senior squad during the 1915–16 season at the age of eighteen. His left foot was dominant, as he scarcely used his right foot and his head. Zeki set many scoring records at Fenerbahçe, including most goals, most goals in a single match, and fastest goal. On February 12, 1931, Zeki scored a record eight goals in a match as Fenerbahçe won 16–0. His prolific goal-scoring ability led him to be affectionately named Üstad (The Master). The entirety of his career was spent at Fenerbahçe, retiring in 1934 after eighteen years of service. Zeki's final goal record was 470 goals in 352 matches.
A member of the first Turkish national football team, Zeki played and scored in the country's first international match against Romania. He rounded off the performance with a second goal in the other half. Winning sixteen caps, Zeki led the team ten times while scoring 15 goals.
- Turkish Football Championship (1): 1933
- Istanbul Football League (4): 1920–21, 1922–23, 1929–30, 1932–33
- Istanbul Friday League (2): 1920–21, 1922–23
- Istanbul Shield (1): 1930
- General Harrington Cup (1): 1923
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zeki Rıza Sporel.|
- Zeki Rıza Sporel's profile at Sports Reference.com
- Forumexe: Zeki Rıza Sporel (in Turkish)
- Fenerbahçe past presidents
- "Zeki Rıza Sporel". FenerbahceCumhuriyeti.org (in Turkish). Retrieved 2007-06-18.
- "1923–1924". Walter Verani, Erdinç Sivritepe and Turkish Soccer. 1999-09-12. Retrieved 2007-06-18.
- Profile at TFF.org