Zendaya at the 16th Annual Friends 'n' Family Pre-Grammy Event, February 8, 2013
|Born||Zendaya Maree Stoermer Coleman
September 1, 1996
Oakland, California, U.S.
|Television||Shake It Up
Dancing with the Stars
Zendaya Maree Stoermer Coleman (born September 1, 1996), known simply as Zendaya (// zen-DAY-ə), is an American actress, singer and dancer. She began performing at an early age with the dance group Future Shock Oakland, the California Shakespeare Theater in Orinda, and as part of her studies at the Oakland School for the Arts and Cal Shakes Summer Conservatory Program. While she was in her early teens, she embarked on her entertainment career, graduating from modeling work for Macy's and Old Navy to appearing in the video for Kidz Bop's version of Katy Perry's hit single, "Hot n Cold".
Late in 2009, she auditioned for the Disney Channel series eventually known as Shake It Up, landing the role of Rocky Blue. Several of the songs she performed on the show were released as singles, including 2011's "Watch Me," a duet with her co-star Bella Thorne that charted at number 86 on Billboard Hot 100. That year, she also released the single "Swag It Out". Zendaya also parlayed her Shake It Up success into hosting Make Your Mark: Ultimate Dance Off 2011 and a role in the 2012 Disney Channel original movie Frenemies, alongside Bella Thorne. That year, more of Zendaya's songs were featured on the second season of Shake It Up and the soundtrack Shake It Up: Live 2 Dance. After signing a deal with Disney imprint Hollywood Records, she began work on her first solo album.
Early in 2013, Zendaya was cast on the sixteenth season of ABC's Dancing with the Stars, becoming the show's youngest contestant at 16 and placing runner-up. That July, Shake It Up had concluded, and in the following months, the book Between U and Me, and her debut album Zendaya arrived. The album's lead single "Replay" was released on July 16, 2013 and was number 40 on Billboard Hot 100 and number 18 in New Zealand and was certified platinum by RIAA on January 30, 2014. Her self-titled debut album was released on September 17, and peaked at 51 on Billboard 200.
Zendaya was born on September 1, 1996, in Oakland, California, to father Kazembe and to mother Claire Stoermer. Her father is black and her mother is white. Zendaya grew as a part of the nearby California Shakespeare Theater in Orinda, where her mother works as the house manager, and additionally trained with the theater's student conservatory program. Zendaya has performed in numerous stage productions. Zendaya also helped her mother seat patrons and sell raffle tickets to benefit the theater. While she was attending Oakland School for the Arts she starred as Little Ti Moune in Once on This Island at the Berkeley Playhouse and the breakout role of the male character Joe in Caroline, or Change at Palo Alto's TheatreWorks.
She studied her craft at the Cal Shakes Conservatory Program and at the American Conservatory Theater. Her other stage credits include Richard III, Twelfth Night, and As You Like It. Zendaya's official site states that her name derives from the word meaning "to give thanks" in Shona (a Bantu language native to the Shona people of Zimbabwe). She also spent three years dancing with her former dance group called Future Shock Oakland. They danced such dances as Hip Hop and Hula.
2009–14: Shake It Up and Zendaya
Zendaya began her professional career working as a fashion model for Macy's, Mervyns and Old Navy. She was featured in an iCarly toys ad along with Stefanie Scott. She also appeared as a back-up dancer in a Sears commercial featuring Disney Channel star Selena Gomez. In 2009, she was a featured performer in the Kidz Bop music video "Hot n Cold", cover by Katy Perry, which was released on Kidz Bop 15. She auditioned in November 2009 for the role of Rocky Blue to join the cast of Dance Dance Chicago, later changed to Shake It Up, and performed Michael Jackson's "Leave Me Alone". In 2011, Zendaya released her debut single "Swag It Out", a independent label song. She also starred in the book trailer for "From Bad To Cursed" by Katie Alender. On June 21, she released "Watch Me," a duet with Bella Thorne, and peaked at eighty six on the Billboard Hot 100. Her first movie role was in the 2012 film, Frenemies, a Disney Channel Original Movie. On February 29, 2012 was released "Something to Dance For" for Live 2 Dance. In September 2, 2012 she signed to Hollywood Records. In March 2013, Zendaya became a contestant on the sixteenth season of ABC's Dancing with the Stars. Her professional partner was Val Chmerkovskiy. Despite receiving praise from the judges and gaining the highest scores throughout the season, she placed runner-up on the final night.
Her debut single, "Replay" was released as the album's lead single on on July 16, 2013. The song peaked at forty on Billboard Hot 100 and was certified platinum by RIAA. Zendaya's self-titled debut album was released on September 17, 2013 by Hollywood Records and debuted on the Billboard 200 at number 51, selling around 7,458 copies in its first week. In 2014 Zendaya released two promotional videos for the song "My Baby", the album version on January 28, and the remix version, featured TY$, Iamsu! and Bobby Brackins, on February 15. She released television film Zapped. On June 16, 2014, it was announced that Zendaya would portray Aaliyah in a new Lifetime TV biopic film titled Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B, but, a few weeks later, it was announced that she dropped out of the movie and the project was put on hold.
2015–present: K.C. Undercover and second studio album
On January 18, 2015 Zendaya starring as K.C. in the new Disney Channel Original Series K.C. Undercover, her second work in the channel. She also confirmed to Billboard that had signed a joint deal with Republic Records, becoming the first artist to do so On March 6, 2015 Timbaland confirmed that he is working with Zendaya on her second album.
In September 2012, Zendaya was featured along with rapper Lil Wayne and NBA player LeBron James in a performance of "Scream and Shout" by will.i.am & Britney Spears for a television commercial for Beats by Dr. Dre Color. In August 6, 2013 Zendaya released her debut book, Between U and Me: How to Rock Your Tween Years with Style and Confidence. She told about the book: "I actually signed this book deal over a year ago…I worked on the book all summer and fall". In 2013 Zendaya started work on a clothing line, inspired on her clothes on Shake It Up, the Shake It Up Dance Clothing Line by Zendaya. The collection features fun clothes for active girls, legwarmers, shorts, jackets, headbands and athletic apparel and accessories. In April 2015, Zendaya hosted the Radio Disney Music Awards as well as being nominated for the Artist With Best Style, but the award was won by Becky G. Zendaya appeared in Taylor Swift's 2015 music video for '"Bad Blood," portraying an assassin called "Cut throat."
Influences and voice
Zendaya's self-titled debut album musically experiment with pop and R&B genres, as well as touching upon Electropop. The album's lyrical content tackles issues of love and heartbreak. After streaming the album to radio presenter Ryan Seacrest, he commented on the album's music calling is a "pop/R&B hybrid offering for the most part", he continued to comment saying the album contained "urban cuts".
Zendaya has cited Michael Jackson, Aaliyah and Beyoncé as her biggest musical influences. An interview to Jon Ali, she commented: "I love Beyoncé, I think she is one of the best performers out there. She works her butt off and always delivers with everything that she does. It’s a beautiful thing". Other musical influences include Rihanna and Bridgit Mendler. Zendaya also has cited some rappers and hip hop artists as ASAP Rocky, Big Sean, Jay-Z, Kanye West and Nicki Minaj.
Zendaya spent three years of dancing in a dance group called Future Shock Oakland. The group did hip hop and hula dances when she was eight. As of November 2010, Zendaya lives in Los Angeles with her family and dog, a Giant Schnauzer named Midnight.[dated info]
|2010–13||Shake It Up||Rocky Blue||Co-lead role|
|2011||Good Luck Charlie||Rocky Blue||"Charlie Shakes It Up" (Season 2, Episode 13)|
|2011||Pixie Hollow Games||Fern||Voice; Television film|
|2011||PrankStars||Herself||"Walk the Prank" (Season 1, Episode 3)|
|2012||Frenemies||Halley Brandon||Television film|
|2012||A.N.T. Farm||Sequoia Jones||"Creative consultANT" (Season 2, Episode 1)|
|2013||Dancing with the Stars||Herself / Contestant||Season 16|
|2013||America's Next Top Model||Herself||"The Girl Who Gets Punked" (Season 20, Episode 11)|
|2014||Zapped||Zoey Stevens||Television film|
|2015–present||K.C. Undercover||K.C. Cooper||Lead role|
|2015||Black-ish||Maya Calais||"Pops' Pops' Pops" (Season 1, Episode 24)|
- Zendaya (2013)
- Swag It Out Tour (2012–13)
Awards and nominations
|2011||Young Artist Award||Outstanding Young Ensemble in a TV Series
(shared with Bella Thorne, Davis Cleveland, Roshon Fegan, Adam Irigoyen, Kenton Duty and Caroline Sunshine)
|Shake It Up||Nominated|||
|2012||Young Artist Award||Best Performance in a TV Series - Leading Young Actress|||
|Outstanding Young Ensemble in a TV Series
(shared with Bella Thorne, Davis Cleveland, Roshon Fegan, Adam Irigoyen, Kenton Duty and Caroline Sunshine)
|NAACP Image Awards||Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children's Series or Special|||
|2013||Young Artist Awards||Best Performance in a TV Movie, MiniSeries, Special or Pilot - Leading Young Actress||Frenemies|||
|Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Music Video||"Fashion Is My Kryptonite"|||
|2014||NAACP Image Awards||Outstanding Performance in a Youth/ Children's Program - (Series or Special)||"Shake It Up"|||
|Outstanding New Artist||Herself|
|Radio Disney Music Awards||Breakout Artist of the Year|||
|Artist With The Best Style||Won|
|BET Awards||YoungStar Award||Nominated|||
|Teen Choice Awards||Candie's Style Icon||Won|||
|2015||Choice TV Actress: Comedy||"K.C. Undercover"||Nominated|||
- "Caroline's young sons Jackie (Brandon Charles Deadwiler alternating with Evan Stone Green) and Joe (Zendaya Maree Stoermer Coleman alternating with William David Southhall) are little dancing fools..."
- "Zendaya - Credits". allmusic by Rovi. 2012. Retrieved December 23, 2012.
- Kennedy, John R. (2014-06-09). "Aaliyah biopic to be shot in Toronto - Toronto". Globalnews.ca. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- "Billboard Chart History: Zendaya". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Zendaya Coleman". TVGuide.com. Archived from the original on February 25, 2015. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- Caulfield, Philip (February 24, 2015). "Zendaya calls out Giuliana Rancic for saying singer looks like she ‘smells like weed’ on Oscars red carpet". Daily News (New York City). Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- About Zendaya February 9, 2011
- "Zendaya is Raquel "Rocky" Blue". Disney Channel Medianet. Retrieved November 10, 2010.
- "Kidz Bop – 'Hot n Cold' Music Video". KidzBop.com. Retrieved January 1, 2011.
- Name= Zendaya Shake It Up! audition December 28, 2010
- Swag It Out May 30, 2011
- From Bad To Cursed
- Shady, Justin (October 22, 2010). "Coleman & Thorne: Duo 'Shake Up' Disney". Variety. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- "Rising Star: Tiny Dancer". Diablo Magazine. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- Amy Sciarretto. "Zendaya Signs to Hollywood Records".
- "Dorothy Hamill and Andy Dick among 'Dancing' stars". New York Post. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "Zendaya's 'Crying' Fans 'So Sad' About 'Dancing With The Stars' Loss". MTV. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- Carpenter, Cassie (May 24, 2013). "Zendaya Coleman delights in her newfound fame as she hits the talk show circuit after coming second on DWTS". London: Dailymail. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "Dancing with the Stars' Season 16 finale: Kellie Pickler edges out Zendaya". New York: NY Daily. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "US certifications: Zendaya". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Zendaya Coleman Announces Debut Album and Talks Release Date". j-14. 2012-05-27.
- "Zendaya - Zendaya Official Album Cover publisher=josepvinaixa.com". 2013-08-18. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Zendaya Debut Album To Be Self-Titled!". Sweety High. 2013-08-13.
- "Ultimate Music | Zendaya "My Baby" (Urban Remix) [Video Premiere]". Josepvinaixa.com. 2014-02-15. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- Ng, Philiana. ""Super Awesome Katy" reunites the actress with "Shake It Up" executive producer Rob Lotterstein.". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 7, 2013). "Disney Channel Greenlights Comedy Pilot Starring ‘Shake It Up’s Zendaya". Deadline.com. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- Takeda, Allison (2014-06-16). "Zendaya to Play Aaliyah in New Lifetime Original Movie: Details - Us Weekly". Usmagazine.com. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- Raftery, Liz (June 29, 2014). "Zendaya Drops Out of Lifetime’s Aaliyah Biopic, Project Put on Hold". TVGuide. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- "After Selena Gomez's exit and a Thawing 'Frozen', Is Disney Headed for a Cold Spell?". October 24, 2014. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- "It Looks Like Zendaya Is Working With Timbaland On Her Sophomore Album". 6 March 2015. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- Dinh, James (November 21, 2012). "Britney Spears And will.i.am's 'Scream And Shout' Video To Premiere On 'X Factor'". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- Between U and Me: How to Rock Your Tween Years with Style and Confidence. Amazon. ISBN 1423170083.
- "Zendaya Coleman’s Book "Between U And Me" Arrives August 6, 2013". Disney Dreaming. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "CeCe And Rocky "Shake It Up" D-Signed Collection At Target". Disney Dreaming. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- ""Shake It Up" Dance Clothing Line". Zendaya.com. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "Meet the A-List Cast Starring in Taylor Swift's New Music Video". Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Zendaya: Four Tracks You Have To Hear". MTV. 2013-09-17. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- "Zendaya Streams Debut Album Before Its Release - Listen". Ryan Seacrest. 2013-09-13.
- "Popping Up: Zendaya". Idolator. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Zendaya - Influences (VEVO LIFT): Brought To You By McDonald's". Artist Direction. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Jon ALi Interviews Zendaya + Debut Album Out Now!". Jon Ali Official. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Zendaya: It Was an "Honor" to Meet Rihanna!". Bop and Tiger Beat Magazine. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Zendaya Coleman Congratulates Bridgit Mendler On Her Debut Album "Hello My Name Is"". Disney Dreaming. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Zendaya Wants to Collab With Major Rap Stars!". J-14 Magazine. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Listen: Zendaya Is Gonna "Swag It Out" With Her First Single!". June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Is 'Replay' Singer Zendaya Coleman the Next Rihanna? [VIDEO] 'Shake It Up' Star is Author, Singer and Actress, Names Fans 'Zswaggers'". Fashion & Syle. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Zendaya, "Replay": Disney’s Newest Pop Princess Arrives With An Amazing Debut Single". MuuMuse. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- name Cover Girl Interview July 8, 2011
- "32nd Annual Young Artist Awards".
- "33rd Annual Young Artist Awards". YoungArtistAwards.org. Retrieved March 31, 2012.
- "Zendaya At The 2012 NAACP Image Awards". Zendaya.com. Retrieved March 31, 2012.
- "34th Annual Young Artist Awards". Young Artist Awards.
- "Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber and One Direction Among Radio Disney Music Award Nominees". The Hollywood Reporter. 2013-03-15. Retrieved 2015-02-06.
- "NAACP Image Awards 2014: Full list of nominations". On The Red Carpet. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- "RDMA 2014 Nomination". Black Celeb Kids. 2014-02-28.
- "Awards | Shows". BET. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- "2014 Teen Choice Awards Winners and Nominees - complete list". HitFix. 2014-08-10. Retrieved 2015-02-06.
- Longeretta, Emily (June 9, 2015). "Teen Choice Awards Pit One Direction Against Zayn Malik". Hollywood Life. Retrieved June 11, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zendaya.|