Zero to One
|Author||Peter Thiel with Blake Masters|
|Subject||Business, Politics & Government|
|September 16, 2014|
|Pages||224 (first edition)|
Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future is a 2014 book by the American entrepreneur and investor Peter Thiel co-written with Blake Masters. It is a condensed and updated version of a highly popular set of online notes taken by Masters for the CS183 class on startups taught by Thiel at Stanford University in Spring 2012.
To promote the book, Peter Thiel sent out his first tweet ever on September 8, 2014, from a Twitter account that had been dormant for years. He was also interviewed by Alexia Tsotsis of TechCrunch. On September 9, Thiel did a podcast with Timothy Ferriss for the latter's show. On September 11, Thiel did an Ask Me Anything on Reddit.
In November 2014, Timothy B. Lee reviewed the book for Vox.com, writing that although Thiel's book contained some good advice, he made the advice sound more contrarian than it really was, did not provide sufficiently concrete advice, and made some questionable claims.
In The New Atlantis, James Poulos compares Thiel to Frederich Nietzsche and argues Thiel, "the most political and theoretical of the supernerds," writes esoterically in Zero to One, when he "raises the prospect of a remarkably comprehensive failure among our best and brightest."
- "Zero to One". Retrieved September 13, 2014.
- Masters, Blake. "Notes Essays—Peter Thiel's CS183: Startup—Stanford, Spring 2012". Retrieved September 13, 2014.
- "What's the difference between Blake Masters' notes from CS183 and his book "Zero To One"?". Quora. Retrieved September 13, 2014.
- Buhr, Sarah (September 8, 2014). "Peter Thiel Tweets". TechCrunch. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- Ferriss, Timothy (September 9, 2014). "The Tim Ferriss Show: Interview with Peter Thiel, Billionaire Investor and Company Creator". Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- "Peter Thiel, technology entrepreneur and investor. AMA". Reddit. September 11, 2014. Retrieved September 13, 2014.
- "Peter Thiel Reveals His Favorite Rap Artist and More in a Reddit AMA". Slate. September 11, 2014. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- Ferenstein, Gregory (September 11, 2014). "Peter Thiel goes after net neutrality, Uber, Bitcoin, and Hollywood (in 4 quotes)". VentureBeat. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- "Peter Thiel In 'Zero To One': How To Develop The Developed World". NPR. September 13, 2014. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- "Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future (book review)". Publishers Weekly. August 11, 2014. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- Lee, Timothy B. (November 30, 2014). "How Peter Thiel repackaged conventional wisdom as bold contrarianism". Vox.com. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- "Competing to Conform". The New Atlantis. March 2015. Retrieved February 13, 2016.