Zetta (cloud backup)
|Founders||Jeff Whitehead, Lou Montulli, Jason Harrison, Jeff Treuhaft|
|Headquarters||Sunnyvale, California, United States|
Number of employees
Zetta provides cloud backup and disaster recovery services, on-premises backup and archiving and is most notable for its network efficient data transfer. It uses lightweight agent software to replicate customer data, creating a second copy in Zetta's bi-coastal enterprise-grade data centers that is available for recovery after a data loss event, such as a server crash or natural disaster. Zetta's end-to-end disaster recovery service provides deployment-to-failback coverage and features upfront network, firewall, VPN connectivity configuration and automated disaster recovery testing. The software supports Windows, Linux, and Mac and has plug-ins for SQL, MS Exchange, Hyper-V, VMware, and NetApp filers.
Zetta has been awarded several patents for its backup and disaster recovery technology, including for minimizing network bandwidth for replication/backup, ensuring that the data that is replicated is the same, bit for bit, as on the source system and is able to scale to Internet volumes of data.
Zetta's agent eliminates network round trips by having a client side cache of the server state, extensive parallelism and WAN optimization. Zetta also provides a mountable backup.
Zetta was founded in 2008 in Sunnyvale, California by Jeff Whitehead, Lou Montulli, and Jason Harrison. The current CEO is Mike Grossman. Investors in Zetta include Sigma Partners, Foundation Capital, and Industry Ventures.
- Hilliard, John. "Nonprofit turns to Zetta.net to replace tape backup", TechTarget, 28 November 2012
- Robb, Drew. "6 Great Cloud and Online Backup Solutions", InfoStor, 11 April 2012
- "Zetta Launches Zetta Disaster Recovery Enabling Less-Than-Five Minute Failover from Anywhere", Zetta, 20 September 2016
- Hardiman, Nick. "Cloud Backup and Disaster Recovery: The Zetta Approach", TechRepublic, 28 November 2012
- Vance, Jeff. "Disaster Recovery: IT Pros Handle Hurricane Sandy", Enterprise Storage Forum, 30 November 2012
- Smith, Lyle."Zetta Disaster Recovery Now Available", Storage Review, 20 September 2016
- Weaver, Charles. "Zetta.net Rolls out DataProtect for NetApp" Archived December 12, 2012, at the Wayback Machine., MSP Alliance, 6 December 2012
- "Systems and methods for minimizing network bandwidth for replication/back up US 9015122 B2", Google Patents, 21 April 2015
- "Systems and methods for state consistent replication US 8977594 B2", Google Patents, 10 March 2015,
- "Distributed Data Store", Google Patents, 6 October 2015
- "Zetta improves DataProtect with WAN optimization", TechTarget, 18 June 2013
- Zetta: About: Management
- "Zetta Appoints Mike Grossman CEO", Yahoo Finance, Retrieved on 8 August 2013
- "Zetta", Crunchbase, 8 September 2015
- Primack, Dan. "Venture Capital Deals" Archived July 16, 2013, at the Wayback Machine., CNN Money, 18 June 2013
- Harris, Derrick. "Cloud Storage: Two Days, Three Startups, $30 Million", New york times, 10 November 2010
- Hesseldahl, Arik. "Cloud Storage Start-Up Zetta Lands $9 Million Funding Round", All Things D, 14 September 2011