|District of China|
|•||Disestablished||04 11 2015|
|Area||29.26 km2 (11 sq mi)|
|Today part of||Part of the Jing'an District|
Zhabei, formerly romanized as Chapei, is a neighborhood and a former district of Shanghai with a land area of 29.26 km² and a resident population of 847,300 as of 2013. It is the location of the Shanghai Railway Station, one of the main railway stations of Shanghai. On November 4, 2015, Zhabei was merged into the smaller but more central Jing'an District.
Historically, the district has been highly populated with working class residents. However, due to the shift in the structure of industries and increasing number of immigrants from outside Shanghai, partly due to its reasonable real estate price (compared to its counterparts such as Putuo and Hongkou), the district has become increasingly appealing to city residents.
Zhabei local authorities have developed business and commercial centres in the district. It has attracted various foreign companies to build offices, apartments and commercial retail outlets over there.
It is also where the Shanghai Multimedia Valley (SMV) is located to attract media and IT talent. Major companies located in Zhabei include TÜV Rheinland, Royal Philips Electronics and Shanghai Bell Alcatel Business Systems Co., LTD.
Zhabei District used to be the place of agglomeration of traditional industries such as flavor factory and tires factory. In the last decade, the municipality decided to move the old industry out in order to make space for more promising ones such as the hi-tech and creative industries.
The Shanghai University, Yanchang Campus is also located near the Daning Lingshi Park.
- "上海闸北区、静安区正式合并 成立新静安区". thepaper.cn. November 4, 2015. Retrieved November 4, 2015.
- "A Survey about Zhabei District". Zhabei authority. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- "Contact 联系我们 Archived April 13, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.." China Resources Beverage. Retrieved on April 10, 2014. "华东分公司 地址： 上海市恒丰路436号环智国际大厦20楼"
- Shanghai Zhabei Government Portal - www.shzb.gov.cn/en Archived April 11, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Zhabei District". Encyclopedia of Shanghai. Shanghai Municipal People's Government. 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zhabei District.|
- Zhabei District travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Shanghai Zhabei Government Portal
- Shanghai Circus World