Zhang Lin (swimmer)
|Full name||Zhang Lin|
6 January 1987 |
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||77 kg (170 lb)|
|College team||Beijing University of Technology|
Zhang Lin (simplified Chinese: 张琳; traditional Chinese: 張琳; pinyin: Zhāng Lín; born January 6, 1987) is a Chinese competitive swimmer who specializes in the 200m, 400m, 800m and 1500m freestyle events. He is also the world-record-holder of Men's 800 metre freestyle.
Zhang was selected for the national team in 2002. At the 2003 World Aquatics Championships, he was the only Chinese male swimmer to reach the individual finals, finishing in eighth place. In 2005, he broke China's 400 freestyle record at the National Games, and was crowned 200 and 1,500 freestyle champion.
Zhang Lin won a silver medal in the men's 400 meter freestyle at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing with a time of 3:42.44, 0.58 seconds behind gold medalist South Korean Park Tae-hwan, and making him at the time the third fastest 400 meter freestyler in history (and setting a Chinese Record in the process). Zhang's silver was the first Olympic swimming medal ever by a Chinese male swimmer.
At 2009 World Aquatics Championships in Rome, Zhang won a bronze medal in the men's 400 meter freestyle and a gold medal in the men's 800 meter freestyle (7:32.12); the gold medal finish was a world record and the first time ever by a Chinese male in a world swimming competition in the past 73 years.
Zhang is coached by Zhang Yadong and Chen Yinghong. He has also been coached by Australian Denis Cotterell since late 2007, who is the former coach of distance champion Grant Hackett. In the fall of 2011, he trained with Dave Salo at the Trojan Swim Club for a 52-day training camp.
- 2005 World Championships - 6th 1500 m freestyle;
- 2005 National Games - 1st 200 m/ 400 m/ 1500 m freestyle;
- 2007 World Championships - 6th 200 m freestyle;
- 2008 Summer Olympics - 2nd (silver medalist) 400 m freestyle;
- 2009 World Aquatics Championships - 3rd (bronze medalist) 400 m freestyle; 3:41.35
- 2009 World Aquatics Championships - 1st (gold medalist) 800 m freestyle; World Record 7:32.12
- List of Chinese records in swimming
- List of world records in swimming
- World record progression 800 metres freestyle
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 19, 2012. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- (Chinese) Zhang Lin _ Netease sports database - Comprehensive information on historical data, news, pictures, video, and personal data
|Men's 800 metre freestyle
world record holder (long course)
29 July 2009 – present
|Pacific Rim Swimmer of the Year