Zhao Jiuzhang (simplified Chinese: 赵九章; traditional Chinese: 趙九章; pinyin: Zhào Jiǔzhāng; 15 October 1907 – 26 October 1968) was a Chinese meteorologist, geophysicist and space physicist and engineer. He is a pioneer of Chinese space technology and is considered as "The Father of Chinese Artificial Satellite".
Born in Kaifeng, Henan Province on 15 October 1907. From 1925 to 1927, he studied electrical engineering at Zhejiang Industrial School (now Zhejiang University) in Hangzhou. He then transferred to Tsinghua University in Beijing. He graduated from the Department of Physics, Tsinghua in 1933. In 1935, he went to the University of Berlin; in 1938, he obtained his PhD.
He was murdered in 1968 by members of the Red Guard during the Cultural Revolution.
Membership & presidency
- Academician, Chinese Academy of Science, 1955 election
- Director, Institute of Meteorology, Academia Sinica
- Director, Institute of Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Science
- Director, Institute of Applied Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Science
- President, Chinese Academy of Satellite Designation
- President, Chinese Meteorological Society
- President, Chinese Geophysical Society
- Member, Jiusan Society, 1951 election
- Member, Central Committee of the Jiu San Society.
- Member, Standing Committee of the National People's Congress, PRC
- Standing Committee Member, Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference,
- Dong Fang Hong I - the first satellite that China launched in 1970.
- Jiuzhang Zhao[permanent dead link] "Meteorologist, geophysicist and space physicist."
- 张九庆《自牛顿以来的科学家》第31章“两弹一星”与中国科学家 Archived July 19, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. 赵九章是中国人造卫星的倡导者和组织者，可以称为“中国人造卫星之父”。Translation: Zhao Jiuzhang was the urger and organizer of Chinese artificial satellite, he is regarded as "The Father of Chinese Artificial Satellite"
- 浙江大学校友总会网 Archived October 13, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. 1925至1927年就读浙江公立工业专门学校（今浙江大学）电机工程科。
- 解放前曾在浙大任教、求学，后成为中国科学院院士、中国工程院院士的校友 Archived October 9, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. 1925年至1929年在浙江公立工业专门学校（浙江大学前身）电机科就学。