Zhao Xijin (赵喜进; died July 21, 2012) was a Chinese paleontologist notable for having named numerous dinosaurs. He is currently a professor at Beijing's Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoanthropology.
Paul Sereno and Zhao went on a dinosaur fossil hunt in 2005 to Tibet to look for a site that Zhao had found 27 years prior. Before this hunt, in 2001, they had been engaged in a dig in the Gobi Desert. This involved a rock quarry that led them to finding 25 skeletons of the species Sinornithomimus dongi.
In 2008, Zhao was involved in and in charge of a dig in Zhucheng that consisted of digging out a "980 ft-long pit". The site has unearthed more than 7,600 fossils through Xijin's work. It is believed to be the largest such site in the world. The majority of the fossils found appeared to be from the Late Cretaceous period.
He died in 2012 at the age of 77.
List of dinosaurs named
- Chaoyangsaurus (1983)
- Chinshakiangosaurus (1986)
- Dachongosaurus (1986)
- Damalasaurus (1986)
- Klamelisaurus (1993)
- Kunmingosaurus (1986)
- Lancangjiangosaurus (1986)
- Megacervixosaurus (1983)
- Microdontosaurus (1983)
- Monkonosaurus (1990)
- Monolophosaurus (with P. Currie, 1994)
- Ngexisaurus (1983)
- Sangonghesaurus (1983)
- Sinraptor (with P. Currie, 1993)
- Oshanosaurus (1986)
- Xuanhuasaurus (1986)
Besides the above, Zhao Xijin also named the family Mamenchisauridae (with Young Chung Chien, 1972).
- "100-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Rib Found in Beijing", Chicago Tribune, July 8, 1993
- "Dinosasur hunter heads for top of world", United Press International, December 17, 2004
- "Young dinos lived and died together" Archived November 8, 2012, at the Wayback Machine, The Hindu, March 16, 2009
- Moore, Malcolm, "Dinosaur fossils found in China are world's largest collection", The Telegraph, December 31, 2008
- Wray, James, "In Pictures: 'China Dinosaur Fossils'" Archived October 17, 2009, at the Wayback Machine, Monsters and Critics, October 13, 2009
- "Shandong dinosaur fossil field `world`s largest`" Archived March 3, 2016, at the Wayback Machine, Mathaba, January 3, 2009
- 纪念赵喜进先生 [In memory of Zhao Xijin]. 《化石》 (4): 24–27. 2014. Retrieved 2017-08-05.
|This biographical article about a Chinese scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a paleontologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|