Motto in English
|Seeking the Truth and Pioneering New Trails|
|President||Wu Zhaohui (吴朝晖）|
|Party Secretary||Ren Shaobo (任少波)|
West Lake District, Hangzhou,
People's Republic of China
|Campus||Urban, 5.9 km²|
|Colors||Blue and Red|
|Affiliations||APRU, WUN, C9, IAU, GUNi, YDUA|
|Mascot||Qiushi Eagle 求是鹰|
|Website||zju.edu.cn (in Chinese)|
zju.edu.cn/english (in English)
Zhejiang University (abbreviated ZJU; Chinese: 浙江大学; pinyin: Zhèjiāng Dàxué; also colloquially referred to as 浙大 Zhèdà ) is an elite C9 League university located in Hangzhou, the capital of Zhejiang province. Founded in 1897, Zhejiang University is one of China's oldest, most selective, and most prestigious institutions of higher education. The university is organized into 37 colleges, schools, and departments offering more than 140 undergraduate and 300 graduate programs. 
The university is also a Chinese Ministry of Education Class A Double First Class University and is an active member of the Yangtze Delta Universities Alliance, the Association of Pacific Rim Universities, the Worldwide Universities Network, the International Association of Universities, and the Global University Network for Innovation.
The university possesses a diverse faculty of more than 3,741 scholars, including 45 members from the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Chinese Academy of Engineering, 10 Liberal Arts and Humanities Senior Professors (文科资深教授), 121 Chang Jiang Scholars Program Professors, and 133 recipients of the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars.
Zhejiang University maintains 5 academic libraries. The library collection in its entirety contains more than 7.7 million volumes, making it one of China's largest academic collections. The university also includes 7 affiliated hospitals, 1 museum, 2 international joint institutes, and boasts over 150 student organizations.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Campuses
- 4 Organizations
- 5 Traditions
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
In 1897, then-mayor of Hangzhou, Lin Qi (traditional Chinese: 林啓; simplified Chinese: 林启; pinyin: Lín Qǐ; Wade–Giles: Lin Ch'i) established the "Qiushi Academy/Ch'iu Shih Academy" (求是書院; 求是书院; Qiúshì Shūyuàn; Ch'iu-shih-shu-yüan). Lin studied the Western higher education system and applied it to the Qiushi Academy. The Ch'iu-shih Academy was renamed to Chekiang College (浙江大學堂; 浙江大学堂; Zhèjiāng Dàxuétáng) in 1902, and to Chekiang Higher Institutes in 1903.
A second institution that factored into the early history of Zhejiang University was Yuying Xuetang (Yuying School or Yuying College), established in 1902. This was renamed to Yuying Yishu (Yuying Public School), and then to Yuying Academy. In 1911, Yuying Academy became Zhijiang Xuetang (Zhijiang College) and moved to Qinwang Hill (Chinese: 秦望山), outside of Hangzhou.
In 1912, Zhejiang Medical School was established, later developing into Zhejiang Provincial Medical College and becoming part of Zhejiang University.
In 1927, some schools and colleges (e.g. industrial and agricultural colleges/schools) were merged into the Qiushi Academy. Then the name of the enlarged school was changed to "National Third Sun Zhongshan University" (or, National Third Sun Yat-sen University), after Sun Yat-sen. On April 1, 1928, it was renamed "Che Kiang University" (now Zhejiang University from the pinyin name), and in the same year, "National" was added and it became "National Che Kiang University" (國立浙江大學; 国立浙江大学; Guólì Zhèjiāng Dàxué).
War period, 1937–1949
Reputed as "Cambridge of the East" by Joseph Needham (twice visited ZJU in 1944) in China's modern history of higher education, National Che Kiang University's was consistently ranked as among top 3 in the nation during that time.
During this period, the National Che Kiang University was praised as one of the Four most Prominent Universities in the Republic China (民國四大名校), along with National Central University, National Southwestern Associated University, and National Wuhan University.
Zhejiang University was split up into a number of single-discipline colleges during the 1952 readjustment of China's Tertiary Education System. Its schools of arts and sciences either went to former Hangzhou University or joined with Fudan University. Its medical and pharmaceutical schools formed Zhejiang Medical University. Its agricultural and horticultural schools went to establish Zhejiang Agricultural University.
1952~1953, Its chemical engineering departments, and some the other technological parts went to former Hangzhou Chemical Engineering School (now Zhejiang University of Technology, ZJUT). And the dean Li Shouheng, who was one of the main founders of China's modern chemical engineering, was pointed to be the first president of ZJUT.
In 1998, with the approval of the State Council, the new Zhejiang University was established as a combination of four major universities that had grown up in Hangzhou over the previous half-century, namely Zhejiang University, Hangzhou University, Zhejiang Agricultural University and Zhejiang Medical University.
On September 21, 2006, Chinese billionaires Duan Yongping (Zhejiang University alumnus) and Ding Lei (Zhejiang native) donated together a one-time endowment of 40 million US dollars to Zhejiang University. US$30 million was from Duan with 10 million from Ding. It was the largest private one-off endowment to a university in Mainland China. A ceremony was held at the newly founded Zijin'gang Campus to receive the donation.
Zhejiang University is a comprehensive research university with national and international impact. Research at Zhejiang University spans 12 academic disciplines: agriculture, art, economics, education, engineering, history, law, literature, management, medicine, natural sciences, and philosophy. In the Essential Science Indicator (ESI) rankings of 22 disciplines, Zhejiang University ranks among the top 1% in 15 disciplines and is listed in the top 100 of the world's academic institutions in 4 disciplines.
With seven campuses, namely Zijin'gang, Yuquan, Xixi, Huajiachi, Zhijiang, Zhoushan, and the Haining International campus, Zhejiang University encompasses an area of 5.9 square kilometers with school buildings covering 1.94 million square meters of floor space. The university library holds a collection of more than 7.7 million volumes. In addition, Zhejiang University has 7 high-level affiliated hospitals.
Zhejiang University focuses on assiduous study and research, and science and technological innovation. It has launched a number of international high-end academic platforms and gathered masters, scholars and high-level research teams in various disciplines. In recent years, Zhejiang University maintains a leading position in China in output indicators including publications, patents, etc., and has made abundant important achievements in science, technology, humanities and social sciences. Zhejiang University always takes initiative in catering for national and regional needs and exerts itself to become an influential high-level source of innovation and a pool of talents. In 2018, research funding at Zhejiang University amounted to more than 4.56 billion RMB (~US$680 million). More than a hundred projects under research have each secured a grant of more than 10 million RMB. In 2018, 1,838 Chinese patents were issued to ZJU researchers and 6,903 SCI-included papers were published by ZJU scholars.
Among its approximate 3,700 standing faculty  members, more than 1,200 faculty members hold the title of professor. The faculty includes: 23 members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, 23 members of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, 48 scholars in the national Recruitment Program of Global Experts, 20 chief scientists of national 973 projects, 121 Chang Jiang (Yangtze River) Award winners, and 133 recipients of the awards from the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars. Zhejiang University also has prominent foreign faculty. This include Nobel Laureate Michael Levitt, who joined Zhejiang University Department of Chemistry in 2018.
At present, there are a total of 54,641 full-time students enrolled at Zhejiang University, including 29,216 graduate students, 10,178 Ph.D candidates, and 25,425 undergraduates. In addition, there are 7,074 international students currently attending Zhejiang University.
Zhejiang University has seven campuses:
The Yuquan campus (simplified Chinese: 玉泉校区; traditional Chinese: 玉泉校區) is the main campus of engineering, computer science, and the physical sciences. Most students at the Yuquan campus are graduate students within these academic disciplines. One can easily walk to Hangzhou's historic West Lake from the main gates of the campus. The Yuquan campus was the main campus of Zhejiang University until the Zijin'gang campus was built in 2002.
The Xixi campus (simplified Chinese: 西溪校区; traditional Chinese: 西溪校區) was previously Hangzhou University before merging with Zhejiang University in 1998. The campus hosts the Department of Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, the School of Marxism, College of Education, and the School of Humanities.
The Haining International Campus (simplified Chinese: 海宁国际校区; traditional Chinese: 海寧國際校區) is located in the Zhejiang city of Haining. Clusters of international cooperative partners and institutions reside at this campus, which opened in 2016 as part of Zhejiang University.
The campus adopts a “1+X” approach, where ZJU partners with multiple world-renowned universities to develop new models of transnational education. Currently, our partners include the University of Edinburgh, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and Imperial College London.
As a strategic initiative of the University, the campus seeks to combine the best education practices of East and West and cultivate future leaders with a global vision.
The Huajiachi campus (simplified Chinese: 华家池校区; traditional Chinese: 華家池校區) serves as the campus of agriculture. It was previously Zhejiang Agricultural University before merging with Zhejiang University and served as the old Huajiachi Campus for the "National Che Kiang University". The Huajiachi campus is Zhejiang University's oldest campus. It currently hosts the School of Long-Distance Education.
The Zhijiang campus (simplified Chinese: 之江校区; traditional Chinese: 之江校區) is home to Zhejiang University's Guanghua Law School. The campus itself is situated among the waterways of the Qiantang River which flows from western Zhejiang province into the East China Sea. Before being acquired by Zhejiang University in 1952, the Zhijiang campus served as the main campus of Zhijiang University.
The Zijin'gang campus (simplified Chinese: 紫金港校区; traditional Chinese: 紫金港校區) serves as the main campus of Zhejiang University and is located in the northwest of Hangzhou. The Zijin'gang Campus boasts a large assortment of academic departments and schools, including the College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Medicine, College of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, College of Biosystems Engineering and Food Science, the College of Animal Sciences, the College of Life Sciences, the College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, the College of Environmental and Resource Sciences, the School of Management, and the School of Public Affairs.
The Zhoushan campus (simplified Chinese: 舟山校区; traditional Chinese: 舟山校區) is a relatively new campus that opened in 2015 and serves as the campus for the Ocean College and is located in Zhoushan.[better source needed]
Under the direct administration of China's Ministry of Education, the new Zhejiang University is a key comprehensive university whose fields of study cover eleven branches of learning, namely philosophy, literature, history, education, science, economics, law, management, engineering, agriculture, and MBBS. The university now has 110 specialties for undergraduate studies, and it is entitled to confer master's degrees in 264 programs and doctoral degrees in 181 programs. Under its administration, there are 13 National Key Laboratories, 2 National Engineering Research Centers and 3 National Engineering Technology Centers. Besides, it has set up 24 national key specialties and 39 post-doctoral stations.
- Zhejiang California International NanoSystems Institute (ZCNI)
- Center of Mathematical Sciences, Zhejiang University
- Research Institute of Zhejiang University-Taizhou
- China Academy of West Region Development
- Qiushi Academy for Advanced Studies, Zhejiang University
- Zhejiang University Innovation institute(ZII), international
- Social Science Experiment Center of Zhejiang University
- Life Science Institute, Zhejiang University
- Institute of Environment Pollution Control and Treatment, Zhejiang University
- Academy of Financial Research, Zhejiang University
- Ocean Research Center of Zhoushan, Zhejiang University
- International Design Institute, Zhejiang University
- Academy of Global Zhejiang Entrepreneurs, Zhejiang University
- Institute of Translational Medicine, Zhejiang University
- Public Policy Research Institute of Zhejiang University
- Institute of Genetics, Zhejiang University
- Zhejiang University Institute for Advanced Study in Humanities and Social Sciences
- Center for Correlated Matter (CCM), Dept. of Physics, Zhejiang University
- Research Center of Public Service and Performance Evaluation, Zhejiang University
- Institute for Fusion Theory and Simulation (IFTS), Dept. of Physics, Zhejiang University
Zhejiang University has seven affiliated hospitals
- The First Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine
- The Second Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine
- Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital (donated by Sir Run Run Shaw)
- The Fourth Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine
- The Women's Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine
- The Children's Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine
- Zhejiang Stomatology Hospital (also named Zhejiang University Affiliated Stomatology Hospital)
- Zhejiang University City College (Hangzhou)
- Ningbo Institute of Technology, Zhejiang University (Ningbo)
Dual-Degree Partners (Haining International Campus)
- BSc Integrated Biomedical Sciences
- BSc Biomedical Informatics
- Dual PhD in Integrative Biomedical Sciences
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: ZJU-UIUC Institute
- Imperial College London
- University of Toronto: Joint Institute of Genetics and Genomic Medicine
- High-tech park of Zhejiang University in Hangzhou
- High-tech park of Zhejiang University in Ningbo
- Botanical Garden of Zhejiang University
May 21 is the Home-coming Day (Chinese: 校庆) of Zhejiang University. May 21, 2017 was the 120th anniversary.
Dec 31 is the Student Day (Chinese: 学生节) of Zhejiang University.
Alma mater (university anthem)
- The vast sea contains all streams, all rivers;
- Great learning connects Heaven and Earth.
- Metaphysical is Tao; instrumental is Tool.
- Rites tell people apart; Music gets them together.
- To know their relations would make us ever brighter.
- There's a national university standing by River Qiantang,
- Whose eternal philosophy is seeking truth from facts.
- Progressive education can produce those able to govern;
- Never say you know the essence, let alone the truth.
- Reform is necessary, and renewal is a must;
- To be a vanguard is to be both creative and innovative;
- Dear young vanguards should be clear of the principles.
- Be devoted to study, deep in thinking and good in understanding;
- We offer arts, science, agriculture, technology, and beyond;
- It needs you to know them all – their origins and applications.
- To become successful people will be like true gold to be made;
- To give up fractional views we’re of far sight and broad mind;
- To rejuvenate our great nation is to harmonize the whole world.
- Center of Mathematical Sciences, Zhejiang University
- Zhejiang California International NanoSystems Institute
- Hangchow University Historic Site
- Hangzhou University
- High School Attached to Zhejiang University
- US-China University Presidents Roundtable
- 校训. Archived from the original on December 25, 2016. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- "Introduction to Zhejiang University". Archived from the original on December 25, 2016. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "学校概况" 学校概况 - 浙江大学 [University overview - Zhejiang University]. Zhejiang University. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- "Zhejiang University Logo and Mascot". Zhejiang University. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- "Best universities in China 2018". Times Higher Education. September 6, 2017.
- ""Study at Zhejiang University"".
- 教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知 [Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first class universities and disciplines]. Ministry of Education.
- 浙江大学--学校概况 [Overview of Zhejiang University].
- 搜狐网 – 高校门户网 – 浙江大学. Sohu Education. Archived from the original on May 11, 2008. Retrieved May 11, 2008.
- Libraries in China
- ""Zhejiang University Facts and Figures"".
- "History of Zhejiang University". Zhejiang University. Archived from the original on October 18, 2012. Retrieved April 16, 2015.
- 网易新闻中心：段永平、丁磊4000万美元捐赠浙江大学 [Duan Yongping and Ding Lei donates 40 million US dollar to Zhejiang University]. 163.com news. September 21, 2006.
- "Mr. Yongping Duan and Mr. Lei Ding Donated 40 Million US Dollars". August 16, 2007. Archived from the original on August 16, 2007. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- "Facts and Figures of Zhejiang University". Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- "Facts and Figures of Zhejiang University". Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- "Nobel laureate Michael Levitt joins ZJU". www.zju.edu.cn. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- Wu, Shulian. "Top 10 Chinese universities in overall strength". China.org.
- 2018, Scimetrica, www.scimetrica.com - ©. "Zhejiang University, China - Institutions - Universityrankings.ch". www.universityrankings.ch. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- "SCImago Institutions Rankings - Higher Education - All Regions and Countries - 2019 - Overall Rank". www.scimagoir.com.
- "QS World Zhejiang University Ranking 2020". August 1, 2019. Retrieved August 7, 2019.
- . December 11, 2019 https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2020. Retrieved December 11, 2019. Missing or empty
- "QS University Rankings: Asia 2019". February 1, 2019. Retrieved August 7, 2019.
- "Asia University Rankings". March 14, 2019. Retrieved August 7, 2019.
- QS University Rankings 2020
- "Best Chinese Universities Ranking, Overall Ranking - 2019". Retrieved August 7, 2019.
- "First Class Universities in Chinall Ranking - 2019". Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- "Faculty and Staff Moved to Haining Campus | International Campus Zhejiang University". www.intl.zju.edu.cn. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "Zhejiang University International Campus".
- 浙江大学舟山校区. Retrieved December 29, 2015.
- "Zhejiang University". CUCAS. Retrieved August 24, 2015.
- Zhejiang University Logo, Song, and etc. Archived 2010-04-27 at the Wayback Machine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zhejiang University.|
- Zhejiang University Home Page (in English)