|Born||1970 (age 48–49)|
|Alma mater||Nanjing University, University of Chicago|
|Known for||organic semiconductors|
|Doctoral advisor||Luping Yu|
Zhenan Bao (simplified Chinese: 鲍哲南; traditional Chinese: 鮑哲南; pinyin: Bào Zhénán; born 1970), Ph.D., is a Professor of Chemical Engineering and Material Science and Engineering at Stanford University. She is known for her work developing technologies with organic field-effect transistors and organic semiconductors. She was named as one of Nature's 10 in 2015, and was one of the laureates of the 2017 L'Oréal-UNESCO Awards for Women in Science.
She was enrolled at Nanjing University in 1987, and transferred directly into her Ph.D. in Chemistry at The University of Chicago in 1990. She was one of the early students of Luping Yu and did initial work on liquid-crystalline polymers.
Upon the completion of her Ph.D., she had an offer to join the University of California, Berkeley as a postdoc but instead joined the Materials Research department of Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies. During that time, she was behind the development of the first all plastic transistor, or organic field-effect transistors which allows for its use in electronic paper. It was also during this time when Jan Schön produced a series of papers, two of which with Bao as one of the coauthors. Schön's papers were ultimately retracted due to fraud. Bao got excused from the misconduct. She was named a Distinguished Member of Technical Staff. She was named one of MIT Technology Review's TR35 and C&EN 12 rising stars for her work with organic semiconductors.
In 2004, she returned to academia by joining the faculty at Stanford University where she is now focusing on studying organic semiconductor and carbon nanotubes using new fabrication methods. Recent work in the lab includes developing electronic skin and all-carbon solar cells.
She is a member of the U.S. National Academy of Engineering since 2016. She is a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Chemical Society and SPIE and serves on the advisory board for ACS Nano, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Energy Materials, Chemical Communications, Chemistry of Materials, Materials Today, Nanoscale, and NPG Asia Materials and the board of directors for the Materials Research Society and the Polymers Materials Science and Engineering division of the American Chemical Society. She was also awarded the ACS Cope Scholar Award in 2011.
- ACS Award in Applied Polymer Science (2017)
Bao moved to the United States from China in 1990. Both of her parents were professors at Nanjing University where she initially learned about polymer chemistry in Prof. Gi Xue's lab. One of her major mentors was Elsa Reichmanis who was the department director at Bell Labs. She is married and has two children.
- "365 days: Nature's 10". Nature. 528 (7583): 459–467. 2015. doi:10.1038/528459a. ISSN 0028-0836. PMID 26701036.
- Announcement of Laureates of 2017 L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science Awards
- MacDermott, Kevin (25 March 2002). "TAKING AN EARLY LEAD". C&EN. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- Tidwell, L. (8 April 2004). "Movers: Zhenan Bao". Nature. 428 (6983): 678. Bibcode:2004Natur.428..678.. doi:10.1038/nj6983-678c. PMID 15071601.
- Bao, Zhenan; Chen, Yongming; Cai, Rubing; Yu, Luping (1 September 1993). "Conjugated liquid-crystalline polymers - soluble and fusible poly(phenylenevinylene) by the Heck coupling reaction". Macromolecules. 26 (20): 5281–5286. Bibcode:1993MaMol..26.5281B. doi:10.1021/ma00072a002.
- Dagani, Ron (30 November 1998). "AN INNOVATION ENGINE FOR LUCENT". C&EN. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- Bao, Zhenan; Dodabalapur, Ananth; Lovinger, Andrew J. (1 January 1996). "Soluble and processable regioregular poly(3-hexylthiophene) for thin film field-effect transistor applications with high mobility". Applied Physics Letters. 69 (26): 4108. Bibcode:1996ApPhL..69.4108B. doi:10.1063/1.117834.
- Bao, Zhenan; Feng, Yi; Dodabalapur, Ananth; Raju, V. R.; Lovinger, Andrew J. (1 June 1997). "High-Performance Plastic Transistors Fabricated by Printing Techniques". Chemistry of Materials. 9 (6): 1299–1301. doi:10.1021/cm9701163.
- Wilson, Elizabeth (19 December 2011). "Molecular Electronics: Schön's Fraud". C&EN. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Zhenan Bao, 32". MIT TR. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- Arnaud, Celia (19 November 2012). "Electronic Skin Heals Itself". C&EN. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- Ramuz, Marc P.; Vosgueritchian, Michael; Wei, Peng; Wang, Chenggong; Gao, Yongli; Wu, Yingpeng; Chen, Yongsheng; Bao, Zhenan (27 November 2012). "Evaluation of Solution-Processable Carbon-Based Electrodes for All-Carbon Solar Cells". ACS Nano. 6 (11): 10384–10395. doi:10.1021/nn304410w. PMID 23113673.
- Halford, Bethany (28 February 2011). "Arthur C. Cope Scholar Awards: Zhenan Bao". C&EN. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Beilby Medal and Prize Winners". Royal Society of Chemistry. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- Wang, Linda (8 October 2007). "Rising Stars Reunite". C&EN. Retrieved 23 February 2013.