||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Type of business||Private|
Type of site
|Knowledge markets, Q&A software|
|Founder(s)||Zhou Yuan (周源)
Li Shenshen (李申申)
Huang Jixin (黄继新)
|Key people||Zhou Yuan (CEO)|
|Net income||web ads, e-books, paid questioning to certain experts/celebrities|
|Slogan(s)||Share your knowledge, experiences and thoughts with the World.|
|Alexa rank||124 (Global) 30 (China) (September 2016[update])|
|Literal meaning||Do you know?|
Zhihu is a Chinese question-and-answer website where questions are created, answered, edited and organized by the community of its users. Its website, zhihu.com, was launched on January 26, 2011. The number of registered users of Zhihu had exceeded 10 millions by the end of 2013, and reached 17 millions as of May 2015 with 250 million monthly page views.
Starting from August 2010, Zhihu was under development (originally under the name "Azid"). It went through a closed beta test at the end of December 2010. The final product went on line on January 26, 2011. It has reportedly received fundings from Kai-Fu Lee's Innovation Works, Qiming Ventures, SAIF Partners, Tencent and Sogou.
In the beginning, user registration was mostly invitation-only, with referral needed from a couple hundred of registered users. Otherwise new users had to apply to join, by filling a good amount of personal information and waiting for a reply. This strategy at Zhihu's early stage insured the high quality of questions, as well as hosting professional questions and answers, which attracted additional users to the community.
Zhihu started open registration in March 2013, which increased the numbers of users from 400,000 to 4,000,000 in less than one year. Registered users are able to ask questions in the community while inviting specific users to answer. Each user is able to check his/her Zhihu followees' updates (Likes, Answers, Following questions). On the home page, users are able to check the status of their own questions, as well as the activities of their answers and comments.
Zhihu is highly interactive with best responses upvoted by others. It features high-profile Chinese entrepreneurs and public intellectuals among its users, increasingly providing Chinese netizens with a space for a rich discussion.
- "Who founded Zhihu?" (in Chinese). Zhihu. 2011-03-14. Retrieved 2012-05-16.
- "Zhihu.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Zhu, Xudong (13 July 2013). "Zhihu has over 10 million monthly active users" (in Chinese). QQ.com. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- "知乎创始人周源：我也曾是正宗程序猿" (in Chinese). Sohu. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- "知乎：用知识串联世界" (in Chinese). Xinhuanet. 14 May 2015. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- "Tech in Asia - Connecting Asia's startup ecosystem". www.techinasia.com. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- 张亮. 知乎从策划到上线花费了多少时间呢？ (in Chinese). 知乎. Retrieved 2012-03-17.
- 余一 (5 November 2015). "知乎确认已完成5500万美金融资 腾讯领投". tech.qq.com. 腾讯科技. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- 李开复爆料创新工场已投资问答社区网站知乎 (in Chinese). QQ.com. 28 March 2011. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- 启明创投投资企业：媒体和互联网 (in Chinese). 启明创投. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- Hu, Wei. "提交 "加入知乎申请" 后多久才能获得邀请". Retrieved 28 May 2011.
- Wong, Sue-lin. "In China, A New Space for New Questions". Archived from the original on February 27, 2014. Retrieved 16 January 2014.