Zhonghua Secondary School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Zhonghua Secondary School
Sekolah Menengah Zhonghua
|13 Serangoon Avenue 3
((Courteous, Righteous, Edified, Dignified))
|Established||15 September 1911|
|Principal||Mr Loh Leong Beng|
Zhonghua Secondary School (ZHSS) is an autonomous secondary school in Serangoon, Singapore. Founded in 1911 as Chung Hwa Girls' High School, the school has substantial Chinese heritage despite transformated to an English-medium government school in 1980.
Chung Hwa Girls’ High School
Zhonghua Secondary was established on 15 September 1911 in response to Dr Sun Yat Sen's suggestion for schools to be established for girls. It was the first Chinese-medium girls' school in Singapore, founded by Mr Tay Peng Teng, Mr Puan Yeow Pong and the Chinese community. The school initially operated at the site at Mohamad Sultan Road.
In 1925, it moved to Niven Road and was formally named Chung Hwa Girls’ High School. To cope with the increased enrollment, it shifted to Bartley Road in 1951 for secondary classes to be conducted.
In 1967, a new four-storey school building was built, comprising the General Office, Staff Room, Home Economics Unit as well as the Science Block, Geography Room, the Music Room and the AVA Theatrette.
In 1987, the school moved to Serangoon New Town at Serangoon Avenue 4 and was renamed Zhonghua Secondary School. In 1999, a new school complex at Serangoon Avenue 3 costing an estimated $23 million was completed. In 2008, construction works began on the Multi-Purpose Sports Complex.
Identity & culture
Girls wear a white blouse and a green skirt. Formerly, girls wore white below-the-knee pleated skirts. The change from white to green skirt in 2002 followed complaints that white skirts were easily dirtied.
Lower Secondary boys wear a white shirt with white Bermudas and Upper Secondary boys a white shirt with white long pants.
All students are required to wear school socks with the school initials (ZHSS) on them. All students are also required to wear white school shoes, only during exceptional events such as the NAPFA 2.4 km Run Test, learning journeys that require walking, then they are able to wear sports shoes.
- "Chung Hwa Girls' High School at Bartley Road, 1973 - BookSG - National Library Board, Singapore". eresources.nlb.gov.sg. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- "Mount Sophia (includes Ellison Building and Rex Cinema)". ura.gov.sg. Urban Redevelopment Authority, Singapore. 30 June 2016. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "History". www.zhonghuasec.moe.edu.sg. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- "Grooming and Attire". www.zhonghuasec.moe.edu.sg. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- Lee, Jocelyn (23 September 2015). "Bad boy Royston Tan poured acid on principal's car". The New Paper. Retrieved 6 August 2016.
- Ho, Olivia (7 July 2015). "The changing faces of Amos Yee". The Straits Times. Retrieved 6 August 2016.