Zhou at the Beijing International Film Festival 2013
|Alma mater||Beijing Film Academy|
|Agent||Zhou Dongyu Studio|
Zhou Dongyu (Chinese: 周冬雨; pinyin: Zhōu Dōngyǔ, born 31 January 1992) is a Chinese actress, who gained recognition after appearing in Zhang Yimou's film Under the Hawthorn Tree (Yimou girl). She was also chosen by Southern Metropolis Daily as one of the "Four Dan actresses of the post-90s Generation", along with Zheng Shuang, Guan Xiaotong and Yang Zi. In 2016, she won the Golden Horse Award for Best Leading Actress with her performance in Soul Mate
Zhou Dongyu was born in Shijiazhuang on 31 January 1992, and graduated from the Beijing Film Academy in 2015.. In 2019, she revealed on Go Fridge that Papi Jiang, who has a Master's Degree from the same academy, was her supervisor for the final Bachelor's dissertation.
2010–2015: Rising recognition
In 2010, Zhou was picked by Zhang Yimou to star in his film Under the Hawthorn Tree, despite having no acting experience prior to taking on the role. She rose to fame for her appearance in the film and won several awards, including the Best Actress at the 56th Valladolid International Film Spain Festival, Outstanding New Actress at the 14th Huabiao Award and Best New Performer at the 20th Shanghai Film Critics Awards.
In 2013, she starred in historical romance film The Palace, the fourth installment of the Gong series by Yu Zheng. Variety praised her performance saying, "Zhou holds the screen very well, turning an initially daft personality into an angsty but stoical heroine".
In 2014, she starred alongside Lin Gengxin in youth romance film My Old Classmate. The film topped China's box office and Zhou was praised for her "acting breakthrough". The same year, she featured in comedy Breakup Buddies. Opposite to her usual pure and fresh image, Zhou challenged the role of a "Smart" in the film. Breakup Buddies became one of the highest-grossing films of all time in China.
2016–present: Critical acclaim
Zhou achieved breakthrough with her performance in the film Soul Mate, based on the novel of the same name by Anni Baobei. Zhou received the Best Actress award at the 53rd Golden Horse Awards together with her Soul Mate co-star Sandra Ma, and also won Best Actress at the 28th Hong Kong Film Critics Society Award. The same year, she won the Best Actress award at the 8th Macau International Movie Festival for her performance in the South Korean-Chinese romance film Never Said Goodbye. Zhou also starred in her first television series, spy war drama Sparrow. The series was commercially successful, and became the highest rated war drama to date with a peak rating of 2.46 and 11 billion online views. Zhou was praised by both the audience and director for successfully tackling a challenging role.
In 2017, Zhou starred alongside Takeshi Kaneshiro in romantic comedy This Is Not What I Expected. The film grossed over 100 million yuan and received an 8.9 out of 10 score on Maoyan. Along with the success of Soul Mate, Zhou was coined the representative of Chinese chick flicks. The same year, she starred in the coming-of-age romance drama Shall I Compare You to a Spring Day alongside Zhang Yishan; and featured in science fiction wuxia film The Thousand Faces of Dunjia directed by Tsui Hark.
In 2019, Zhou starred in the youth film Better Days helmed by Soul Mate director Derek Tsang. The same year, she featured in the drama film On The Balcony which she serves as one of the co-producers.
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Role||Notes|
|2010||Under the Hawthorn Tree||山楂树之恋||Jing Qiu|
|2011||The Road of Exploring||湘江北去||Yang Kaihui||Cameo|
|The Allure of Tears||倾城之泪||Geilimei|
|2013||The Palace||宫锁沉香||Chen Xiang|
|2014||My Old Classmate||同桌的妳||Zhou Xiaozhi|
|Breakup Buddies||心花路放||Zhou Lijuan|
|2015||The Unbearable Lightness of Inspector Fan||暴走神探||Hui Lan|
|The Ark of Mr. Chow||少年班||Zhou Lan|
|2016||Everybody's Fine||一切都好||Girl stopping the bus||Guest appearance|
|The New Year's Eve of Old Lee||过年好||Doa Yazi||Special appearance|
|Run for Love||奔爱||Bai Qiezi|||
|Lost in White||冰河追凶||Zhou Xinyi|||
|Never Said Goodbye||謊言西西里||Gu Xiaoyou|||
|Soul Mate||七月与安生||Li Ansheng|
|2017||A Nail Clipper Romance||指甲刀人魔||Emily|||
|This Is Not What I Expected||喜欢你||Gu Shengnan|
|The Founding of an Army||建军大业||Fan Guixia||Cameo|
|City of Rock||缝纫机乐队||Lili||Special appearance|
|The Thousand Faces of Dunjia||奇门遁甲||Xiao Yuan|
|2018||Us and Them||后来的我们||Xiao Xiao|
|Animal World||动物世界||Liu Qing||Special appearance|
|Goddesses in the Flames of War||那些女人||Xiao Yu||Cameo|
|Kung Fu Monster||武林怪兽||Xiong Jiaojiao||Special appearance|
|2019||On The Balcony||阳台上||Lu Shanshan||Special appearance|
|Better Days||少年的你||Chen Nian|
|A Fangirl's Romance||迷妹罗曼史||Gao Bei (1990)||Special appearance|
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Role||Notes|
|2017||Love & Life & Lie||遇见爱情的利先生||Liu Xintong|||
|Mo Du Feng Yun||魔都风云||Xiao Yao|||
|Shall I Compare You to a Spring Day||春风十里，不如你||Xiao Hong||Co-producer|
|2019||Behind The Scenes||幕后之王||Bu Xiaogu|||
|2020||New World||新世界||Special appearance|
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Role||Notes|
|2016||We Are In Love||我们相爱吧||Cast member||with Shawn Yue|
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Album||Notes|
|2016||"Little Windchime"||小风铃||Mr. Nian OST|
|"Imperfect Girl"||不完美女孩||N/A||for We Are In Love|
|2017||"If I Love You"||如果我爱你||Shall I Compare You to a Spring Day OST||with Zhang Yishan|
Awards and nominations
- 90后四小花旦评选出炉. Sina (in Chinese). September 6, 2016.
- "How Chinese actress Zhou Dongyu rose from rookie to starlet – and misses time with her family". South China Morning Post. November 6, 2018.
- "Zhou Dongyu: Forever Young". China Pictorial. January 11, 2017.
- "Zhou Dongyu Admitted to Beijing Film Academy". China Radio International. July 7, 2011.
- Liu, Wei (August 13, 2010). "Age of innocence". China Daily.
- "'Come As You Are' tops Valladolid". Variety. October 9, 2011.
- "Huabiao awards winners announced". CCTV.com. August 30, 2011.
- 20届上海影评人奖揭晓 第五代导演新作悉数上榜. Sina (in Chinese). June 16, 2011.
- "Zhou Dongyu cries for 'The Allure'". China.org.cn. November 8, 2011.
- "Zhou Dongyu Plays Mao Zedong's Wife". China Daily. Chinese Films. June 16, 2011.
- 周冬雨出席"宫锁沉香"发布会 演绎清宫灰姑娘. Mtime (in Chinese). June 17, 2013.
- "Film Review: 'The Palace'". Variety. August 28, 2013.
- "Zhou Dongyu returns to school days". Shenzhen Daily. March 26, 2014.
- "Chinese love story tops weekly box office". Sina English. April 29, 2014.
- 《同桌的妳》首周末票房破亿 周冬雨被赞突破大. Xinhua News Agency (in Chinese). April 28, 2014.
- "杀马特". Shenzhen Daily.
- 周冬雨突破清纯挑战杀马特 金色爆炸头雷人曝光"洗剪吹"造型"亮瞎眼". Xinhua News Agency (in Chinese). July 20, 2014.
- "'Breakup Buddies' tops $150 million in China". Los Angeles Times. October 14, 2014.
- "'Unbearable Lightness of Inspector Fan' premieres". China Internet Information Center. January 15, 2015.
- 《少年班》首映发布会 周冬雨遭调侃不拉窗帘. Tencent (in Chinese). June 17, 2015.
- "Puberty blues for young Einsteins". China Daily. March 29, 2015.
- 安妮宝贝"七月与安生"登银幕 周冬雨马思纯主演. NetEase (in Chinese). December 8, 2015.
- "Feng Xiaogang wins Golden Horse for 'I Am Not Madame Bovary'". Daily Mail. November 27, 2016.
- "'Trivisa' Named Best Film by Hong Kong Critics". Variety. January 17, 2016.
- "Zhou Dongyu awarded best actress in Macao". China Radio Information Center. December 19, 2016.
- 《麻雀》收视持续破2 周冬雨上演逆袭扭转争议. Xinhua News Agency (in Chinese). October 8, 2016.
- 《麻雀》位居收视第一 周冬雨演技细腻好评不断. Sohu (in Chinese). September 9, 2016.
- 热播剧《麻雀》守正出奇 周之光解构主旋律表达. Sohu (in Chinese). Retrieved February 15, 2015.
- "For the love of food". China Daily. April 10, 2017.
- "Chick flick starring Zhou Dongyu makes 100 mln yuan in box office". China Plus. China Radio International. May 3, 2015.
- 冯唐《春风十里不如你》改编新剧 周冬雨张一山出演. ifeng (in Chinese). September 6, 2016.
- "Tsui Hark's new film to be screened in December". China Daily. October 13, 2017.
- "'Us and Them' brings young love, dreams to the movies". China Daily. April 25, 2018.
- "七月与安生"团队集结打造《少年的你》周冬雨&易烊千玺主演 曾国祥执导明年上映. Mtime (in Chinese). July 23, 2018.
- 周冬雨合作张猛新片《阳台上》定档6.1. Mtime (in Chinese). April 17, 2018.
- 《一切都好》发群星版剧照 张猛请来"半个电影圈". Sohu (in Chinese). December 14, 2015.
- 周冬雨:妹妹教我配音 佟丽娅的胸让我心跳. Sina (in Chinese). February 3, 2016.
- "Actresses in Sleepwear Promote 'Run for Love'". China Radio International. November 16, 2015.
- 《冰河追凶》曝周冬雨剧照 "冬叔"演技再突破. Netease (in Chinese). April 20, 2016.
- 《谎言西西里》8月9日上映 李准基周冬雨戳谎鉴爱. People's Daily (in Chinese). July 11, 2016.
- "Film review: A Nail Clipper Romance – Joseph Chang, Zhou Dongyu in bittersweet rom-com". South China Morning Post. April 12, 2017.
- "Stars dazzle the upcoming 'The Founding of an Army'". China Daily. July 25, 2017.
- 《缝纫机乐队》周冬雨惊喜表演被赞新突破. Sina (in Chinese). September 29, 2017.
- 李易峰《动物世界》定档6.29曝预告携手迈克尔道格拉斯&周冬雨开启2018暑期档. Mtime (in Chinese). January 29, 2018.
- 周冬雨演民国革命女性你见过吗？. Mtime (in Chinese). August 6, 2018.
- 周冬雨古天乐加盟刘伟强魔幻电影《武林怪兽》. Sina (in Chinese). April 5, 2017.
- 周冬雨新片"迷妹罗曼史"定档5.11闫妮&盛一伦搭档主演 背景为90年代深圳. Mtime (in Chinese). February 27, 2018.
- 《利先生》开播 陈晓周冬雨鬼马热恋启航. Sina (in Chinese). January 5, 2017.
- 《魔都风云》经超蜜恋周冬雨 再现上海滩风云. Sina (in Chinese). May 6, 2015.
- 周冬雨罗晋搭档《幕后之王》 黄宗泽一人分饰两角. Sina (in Chinese). December 18, 2017.
- 孙红雷回归荧屏大剧《新世界》曝预告 周冬雨周一围尹昉万茜宋丹丹等名角云集. Mtime (in Chinese). March 11, 2019.
- 《我们相爱吧2》首播 周冬雨恋爱综艺初首秀受瞩目. China Daily (in Chinese). March 18, 2016.
- 《中餐厅》周冬雨加盟 鬼马"吃货"面临开店挑战. Sina (in Chinese). July 4, 2017.
- 《演员的品格》官宣 何炅周冬雨井柏然助力新人成长. ifeng (in Chinese). November 28, 2018.
- "'Aftershock', the Winner at Harbin Film Festival". China Radio International. January 18, 2011.
- "The 5th Asian Film Awards Nomination List Announcement" (PDF). HK International Film Festival Society.
- ""Blind Massage" leads China Film Directors Guild Awards nomination". Yahoo!. April 2, 2015.
- 周冬雨获年度最受瞩目女演员 白裙亮相清纯可人. People's Daily (in Chinese). November 11, 2015.
- 奧斯卡級作品角逐 《金環獎》 2月28日開跑. Guang Ming Daily (Malaysia) (in Chinese). February 9, 2017.
- 导演协会奖提名公布 章子怡范冰冰周冬雨争影后. Sohu (in Chinese). April 7, 2017.
- "Brazil film wins best picture at BRICS Film Festival". Xinhua News Agency. June 28, 2017.
- 2017电影之夜落幕 章子怡获年度致敬电影工作者. Sina (in Chinese). December 18, 2017.
- "Golden Screen Awards: China's 'This Is Not What I Expected' Takes Top Honor". The Hollywood Reporter. October 29, 2017.
- "'Soul Mate' leads HK Film Awards noms". China.org.cn. February 8, 2017.
- 华鼎奖提名公布投票开启 《人民》吴刚陆毅齐入围. Sina (in Chinese). April 28, 2017.
- 2017第八届澳门国际电视节奖项提名. Weibo (in Chinese). Macau International Television Festival. December 11, 2017.
- 广州大学生电影节落幕 吴京周冬雨获最受欢迎演员. People's Daily (in Chinese). December 3, 2017.
- "Asian Film Awards 2018 nominations". South China Morning Post. January 11, 2018.
- ""Love Education" wins big at China Director's Guild Awards". Yahoo. April 23, 2018.
- 第34届大众电影百花奖提名名单公布. Netease (in Chinese). November 7, 2018.
- 周冬雨三登华语电影传媒大奖 获最受欢迎演员奖项. China Radio International (in Chinese). December 10, 2018.