|Variant(s)||Ch'ng, Chuang, Chong, Chng, Ching|
In Vietnamese, the surname formerly written as 莊 in Chữ Hán is now written Trang; in Korean, the surname formerly written as 莊 in Hanja is now written 장 and romanized as Jang; in Japanese, the surname written 荘 in Kanji is romanized Shō. In Thai, it is written as จึง (RTGS: Chueng).
Zhuang is a rather uncommon name in the United States. It was ranked 53,245th during the 1990 census and 31,703rd during the year 2000 one. Chuang is more common, having been ranked 24,816th in 1990 and 11,621st in 2000. The variant spellings Chong, Ching, and Tong are all much more common, but include other Chinese surnames as well.
As with many Chinese surnames, the current bearers come from a variety of origins, some legendary.
The Manuscript of the Words and Deeds of Virtuous Clans claimed that the first Zhuangs were descended from King Zhuang of Chu.
During the Warring States period, the general Zhuang Qiao (庄跤) of Chu attacked Shu but was blocked from returning home by Qin troops. He proclaimed himself king of Dian. A third group were the subjects of this realm.
All three groups found themselves bound to change their names to Yan (嚴) upon the ascension of the Han Ming Emperor, whose personal name was Zhuang, owing to the naming taboo.Most did change back to Zhuang after Han dynasty but many still remain as Yan until today.
Notable people with the surname
- Zhuangzi or Chuang Tzu, Taoist philosopher
- Zhuang Chuo, a Song-era writer
- Zhuang Cunyu, Confucian scholar
- Zhuang Datian, leader of a peasant rebellion[which?]
- Zhuang Ji, a Han-era writer and critic
- Zhuang Jia (Qi), a Qi official executed for insubordination
- Zhuang Jia (rebel), assassin of Chen Sheng
- Zhuang Qiao, Chu general and king of Dian
- Zhuang Tinglong, scholar imprisoned for completing the History of the Ming Dynasty
- Xiaowei Zhuang
- Zhuang Zedong, world table tennis champion
- JJ Zhuang, tech entrepreneur and computer programmer
- Zhuang Kezhu, lieutenant general of the PLA Air Force
- "百家姓" [Hundred Family Surnames] (in Chinese). Guoxue. Retrieved 2014-09-25.
- 中国最新300大姓排名（2008） [300 most common surnames in China (2008)] (in Chinese). Taiwan.cn. 2009-01-06. Retrieved 2014-09-25.
- Yang Xuxian. 《台湾一百大姓氏》 [Taiwan's 100 'Big Families']. Op. cit. 中华百家姓-千字文-国学经典-文化经典. "中国台湾姓氏排行 [Taiwan (China) Surname Ranking]". 8 Jun 2010. Accessed 1 Apr 2012. (in Chinese)
- US Census Bureau. Op. cit. Public Broadcasting Service. "How Popular Is Your Last Name?" Accessed 6 Apr 2012.
- Baxter, Wm. H. & Sagart, Laurent. "Baxter–Sagart Old Chinese Reconstruction". Archived April 25, 2012, at the Wayback Machine (1.93 MB), p. 158. 2011. Accessed 11 October 2011.
- People's Daily Online. "Chinese Zhuang surname history". 7 Jul 2005. Accessed 16 Apr 2012.
|surname Zhuang. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|