Zia Inayat Khan
Zia Inayat-Khan Pathan
|Known for||Sufi teaching, author|
|Relatives||Inayat Khan, Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan, Noor Inayat Khan|
|Title||Pir-o-Murshid of Dances of Universal Peace|
|Profession||Sufi Saint, Teacher, Mystic|
Pir Zia Inayat-Khan (born 1971) is a scholar and teacher of Sufism in the lineage of his grandfather, Inayat Khan. He is president of the Sufi Order International and founder of Suluk Academy, a school of contemplative study with branches in the United States and Europe, as well as of the interspiritual institute Seven Pillars House of Wisdom.
Zia Inayat-Khan, Ph.D., was born in Novato, California, in 1971, and is the first son of Sufi teachers Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan and Taj Begum Inayat. Pir Vilayat made it clear to Zia at an early age that he wished him to take the mantle of his Sufi lineage as passed down from Inayat Khan, and instructed him in meditation and spiritual retreat. Pir Zia was confirmed as spiritual successor to Pir Vilayat in 2000, and has served as head of the Sufi Order International, guiding Sufi communities in North and South America, Europe, the Middle East, Asia, and the South Pacific.
Pir Zia has lectured and taught extensively throughout the United States, Europe, and India on Sufism and its relevance to personal and collective transformation. Pir Zia has specialized in carrying forward and teaching the spiritual legacy of his grandfather, Inayat Khan. Pir Zia’s writings and talks also focus on connecting the heritage of contemplative wisdom traditions with contemporary society, with an emphasis on responding to crucial ecological and social challenges.
- "Illuminative Presence," in Transpersonal Knowing: Exploring the Horizon of Consciousness, ed. Tobin Hart, Peter L. Nelson, and Kaisa Puhakka (2000)
- Pearl in Wine: Essays on the Life, Music and Sufism of Hazrat Inayat Khan, ed. Zia Inayat Khan (2001)
- Saracen Chivalry: Counsels on Valor, Generosity and the Mystical Quest (2012)
- Caravan of Souls: An Introduction to the Sufi Path of Hazrat Inayat Khan (2013)
- “Persian and Indian Visions of the Living Earth," in Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth, ed. Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee (2013)
- "The Seed of Love", in Sacred Seed, A Collection of Essays, ed. Global Peace Initiative of Women (2014).
- Ritterliche Tugenden im Alten Orient - Edelmut, Tapferkeit und mystische Suche(Verlag Heilbronn 2016)
- Bird Language - Aphorisms in 7 Languages (Verlag Heilbronn 2017)
- The Sufi Order International Archive of Webcasts by Pir Zia Inayat Khan
- Sacred Spirit Music Archive of Recordings of Pir Zia Inayat Khan
- Sufism's Contribution to Planetary Culture with Pir Zia Inayat-Khan (2008)
- Interview with Pir Zia Inayat-Khan (2008)
- Excerpt from Pir Zia at the Open Center (2011)
- One Through Love Short Clip (2012)
- The Day Before Creation (2012)
- The Soul’s Journey (2012)
- Global Spirit Clip - We Belong to the One That Made Us (2013)
- Saracen Chivalry: Counsels on Valor, Generosity, and the Mystical Quest (2013)
- Interview with Pir Zia Inayat Khan (2014)