Ziegelbrücke railway station
Rail bridge crossing the Linth in Ziegelbrücke, 2009.
|Elevation||425 m (1,394 ft)|
|Operated by||Swiss Federal Railways|
|Line(s)||Left shore Lake Zurich railway|
|Distance||56.80 km (35.29 mi)|
from Zürich HB
|Connections||Postauto and Local buses|
Ziegelbrücke railway station (German: Bahnhof Ziegelbrücke) is a junction station in the village of Ziegelbrücke in Switzerland. Whilst the village is shared between the municipality of Glarus Nord, in the canton of Glarus, and the municipality of Schänis, in the canton of St. Gallen, the station is located in Schänis.
Opened in 1875, the station is owned and operated by the SBB-CFF-FFS. It is one of the southern termini of the Lake Zurich left bank railway line, a main line that links Zürich Hauptbahnhof with Ziegelbrücke and Näfels. From Ziegelbrücke, the main line continues, as the Ziegelbrücke–Sargans railway, towards its ultimate destination, Chur.
The station features two station buildings, a goods despatch office and a maintenance depot. Tracks 1 - 4 are used for goods traffic, shunting operation and to accommodate passenger trains during off-peak hours and overnight. Tracks 5 - 10 are equipped with passenger platforms and therefore used for passenger traffic. Tracks 6 and 9 are usually used for intercity- and freight-trains that pass through the station at maximum speed. Tracks 11 and 12 are solely used for shunting operation and to accommodate passenger trains during off-peak hours and overnight.
On the south side of the station, parallel to the railway line, lies the river Linth, a railway power line and the main road.
Two lines of the Zürich S-Bahn also connect Zürich and Ziegelbrücke, combining to provide three trains per hour. The S2 terminates at Ziegelbrücke and runs twice per hour, whilst the hourly S25 continues through the canton of Glarus to Linthal.
Two lines of the St. Gallen S-Bahn also provide service to Ziegelbrücke, both running once an hour. Services S4, operates in both directions around a loop via Uznach, St. Gallen and Sargans. Service S6 links Rapperswil with Schwanden via Uznach and Ziegelbrücke.
- map.geo.admin.ch (Map). Swiss Confederation. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- Eisenbahnatlas Schweiz. Verlag Schweers + Wall GmbH. 2012. pp. 12–13. ISBN 978-3-89494-130-7.
- Neuhaus, Werner (1988). Linksufrige Zürichsee-Bahn: aus den Annalen der Linksufrigen [Left Shore Lake Zurich Railway: from the annals of the Left Shore] (in German). Stäfa: Gut Verlag. ISBN 3-85717-051-4.
- "Departures - Ziegelbrücke Station" (PDF). Swiss Federal Railways. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "S-Bahn trains, buses and boats" (PDF). ZVV. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 28, 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "S-Bahn St.Gallen Map" (PDF). S-Bahn. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "AWA, Autobetrieb Weesen-Amden". Autobetrieb Weesen-Amden. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- Media related to Ziegelbrücke at Wikimedia Commons
- Swiss Federal Railways - official site (in English)
This article is based upon a translation of the German language version as at November 2011.