|Traded as||NYSE: ZBH
S&P 500 Component
|Founded||Warsaw, Indiana, U.S. (1927)|
|Founder||Justin O. Zimmer|
|Headquarters||Warsaw, Indiana, USA|
|Dan Florin (CEO)|
|Revenue||US$ 7.684 billion (2016)|
Number of employees
Zimmer Biomet (NYSE: ZBH) is a publicly traded medical device company. It was founded in 1927 to produce aluminum splints. The firm is headquartered in Warsaw, Indiana, where it is part of the medical devices business cluster.
In 2001 Zimmer was spun off from Bristol-Myers Squibb and began trading on the New York Stock Exchange, on August 7, under the ticker symbol “ZMH”. In November 2011, the Company acquired ExtraOrtho, Inc. (ExtraOrtho). In January 2012, the Company acquired Reno, Nevada-based Synvasive Technology, Inc. On June 29, 2015, the company changed the ticker symbol to "ZBH" to reflect its acquisition of Biomet.
On 12 January 2017, Zimmer Biomet announced a resolution with the DOJ and the SEC in which they agreed to pay a fine of approximately $30.5 million, an amount which would not affect their 2017 outlook.
Zimmer designs, develops, manufactures and markets orthopaedics products, including knee, hip, shoulder, elbow, foot and ankle artificial joints and dental prostheses. Zimmer has operations in more than 25 countries around the world (US, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latin America, Netherlands, Brasil, Poland, Portugal, Russia, South Africa, Spain etc.) and sells products in more than 100 countries.
On 24 April 2014, it was announced that Zimmer had agreed to purchase Biomet Inc. for $13.4 billion. In October 2014 however, it was announced that the EU’s antitrust regulators had opened an extensive investigation into Zimmer’s bid for Biomet due to concern that it would substantially lessen competition in certain markets. A decision was announced to be made on 16 February 2015.and on June 24, 2015, Zimmer completed its acquisition of Biomet forming Zimmer Biomet Holdings.
The following is an illustration of the company's major mergers, acquisitions and historical predecessors:
Zimmer's 2016 sales were approximately $7.684 billion. The company is supported by the efforts of approximately 18,500 employees worldwide.
- David C. Dvorak, was President and CEO from May 1, 2007 to July 11, 2017.
- "BRIEF-Zimmer Biomet announces resolution with DOJ, SEC". Reuters. 12 January 2017. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "Zimmer Biomet Announces Resolution with DOJ and SEC Regarding Previously Disclosed Legacy Biomet FCPA Matters". Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- Simon, Hermann, Hidden Champions of the 21st Century: Success Strategies of unknown World Market Leaders, London: Springer, 2009, ISBN 978-0-387-98147-5
- Michelle Fay Cortez. "Zimmer to Buy Biomet for $13.4 Billion Adding Orthopedics". Bloomberg.com (paywall).
- "EU regulators open extensive probe into Zimmer, Biomet deal" (Press release). Reuters. 3 October 2014.
- "Zimmer Biomet -- Zimmer Launches Offers to Acquire Centerpulse AG and InCentive Capital AG". zimmerbiomet.com.
- "Zimmer Biomet -- Zimmer's Offer To Acquire ORTHOsoft Is Successful". zimmerbiomet.com.
- "Zimmer Biomet -- Zimmer Acquires NORMED Medizin-Technik GmbH". zimmerbiomet.com.
- "Zimmer Biomet -- Zimmer Acquires Knee Creations, LLC's Business". zimmerbiomet.com.
- "Zimmer Biomet -- Zimmer Acquires ETEX Holdings, Inc". zimmerbiomet.com.
- "Biomet UK - History of Biomet - A Heritage of Excellence". biomet.co.uk.
- "Zimmer Biomet -- Zimmer Completes Combination with Biomet". zimmerbiomet.com.
- "Zimmer Biomet Leadership Team".