Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Meenu Gaur|
|Produced by||Mazhar Zaidi|
Salman Ahmad Khan
Rahat Fateh Ali Khan
|Music by||Sahir Ali Bagga|
|Cinematography||Satya Rai Nagpaul|
|Edited by||Shan Muhammed (India)
Fahad Bajwa (Pakistan)Faizan Yousuf (Pakistan)
|Distributed by||ARY Films |
|Box office||₨7.5 million (US$53,000) first week from Pakistan ₨2 crore (US$140,000) total gross from Pakistan|
Zinda Bhaag (Urdu: زندہ بھاگ) is a 2013 Pakistani Punjabi-language drama film co-directed by Meenu Gaur and Farjad Nabi, and produced by Mazhar Zaidi. The film focuses on the issue of illegal migration. The film had a premiere show on 19 September 2013 and a wide release on 20 September. The film was selected as the Pakistani entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 86th Academy Awards, the first in over 50 years.
Zinda Bhaag unravels the theme of illegal immigration highlighting the issue and the epicentre of this trend within Punjab. The story of Zinda Bhaag unravels the theme of illegal immigration, called ‘dunky’. This involves inhuman and dangerous methods of crossing borders into foreign lands. It is a film about three young men trying to escape the reality of their everyday lives and succeeding in ways they had least expected. In a nondescript neighbourhood of a city (most probably Gujranwala, Wazirabad or Gujrat) within Punjab , three friends are desperate to get onto the fast track to success. Khaldi, Taambi and Chitta, all in their early twenties, believe that the only way out is to the West. The journey that unfolds through the story of this film gives us insight into what constitutes the everyday lives of many young men and women in Pakistan - a sense of entitlement that cannot be fulfilled, desperation to somehow prove themselves in the face of all legitimate doors being locked and an ennui from which they feel there is no getaway.
- Naseeruddin Shah as Puhlwan
- Amna Ilyas as Rubina
- Khurram Patras as Khaldi
- Salman Ahmad Khan as Chitta
- Zohaib Asghar as Taambi
- Ibrahim Rauf Khawaja as Himself
- Samiya Mumtaz (Cameo)
- Rahat Fateh Ali Khan as Himself
- Zain Afzal
The film won four awards at the International South Asian Film Festival in Canada. The film won a 'Special Jury Award' at the Jaipur International Film Festival. The film also received five awards including Best Film (Jury) at the recently concluded ARY Film Awards held under the aegis of the Pakistani TV channel network, ARY Digital Network. The film also won 'Best Film', 'Best Director' (Meenu & Farjad) and 'Best Actor' (Khurram Patras) in Pakistan's prestigious 'Lux Style Awards' and the 'Student Jury Award' at Festival du Film d’Asie du Sud Transgressif (FFAST) in Paris.
The original soundtrack (OST) of the film, sung by Rahat Fateh Ali Khan. The film’s music features voices Abrarul Haq, Arif Lohar and Saleema Jawwad. Lohar and Jawwad have sung a song on love and death while Bagga has contributed his vocals to two tracks, an upbeat dance-bhangra number and a romantic ballad.
|1||"Paar Channah"||Arif Lohar & Saleema Jawad||4:00|
|2||"Saari Saari Raat"||Sahir Ali Bagga, Farah Anwar||4:00|
|4||"Taariyan"||Sahir Ali Bagga||4:00|
|5||"Pani da Bulbula"||Abrar ul Haq||4:00|
|6||"Pata Yaar Da"||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan||4:00|
|7||"Kurri Yes A"||Amanat Ali, Iqra Ali||4:00|
First look of Zinda Bhaag's trailer was unveiled on 18 June 2013. This film was earlier set to release on 6 September. Due to a backlog of unreleased films, the release of ‘Zinda Bhaag’ was postponed. It released on 20 September 2013. 'Zinda Bhaag' has been released in 10 states of US as well on 18 October 2013. Zinda Bhaag screened during the seventh edition of the National Film Development Corporation (NFDC) initiative Film Bazaar, (20 November 2013) in Goa.. Film also released in India. The film arrived at Abu Dhabi Film Festival (24 October - 2 November 2013)and consequently was theatrically released in the UAE. . It was subsequently released on Netflix in 2015.
year of work
|2013||1st ARY Film Awards||Best Film Jury||Mazhar Zaidi||Won|
|Best Director||Meenu Gaur and Farjad Nabi|
|Best Actress Jury||Amna Ilyas||Won|
|Best Actor||Khurram Patras||Nominated|
|Best Actress||Amna Ilyas|
|Best Supporting Actor||Salman Ahmad|
|Best Supporting Actress||Naghma Beghum|
|Best Star Debut Male||Khurram Patras|
|Best Star Debut Female||Amna Ilyas|
|Best Actor in a Comic Role||Zohaib Asghar|
|Best Actor in a Negative Role||Naseeruddin Shah|
|Best Original Music||Sahir Ali Bagga|
|Best Male Playback Singer||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan||Won|
|Best Female Playback Singer||Iqra Ali|
|Best Story||Meenu Gaur and Farjad Nabi||Won|
|Best Background Score||Sahir Ali Bagga|
- List of submissions to the 86th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Pakistani submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Did you know?: Zinda Bhaag bags Rs7.5 million in first week". Tribune. 28 September 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Zinda Bhaag reflects new generation of Pak filmmakers and viewers: Meenu Gaur and Farjad Nabi". The Times of India. 23 September 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Movie Review: Zinda Bhaag". DAWN. 20 September 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Kazim, Syeda Shehrbano (15 December 2013). "Zinda Bhaag unravels the theme of illegal immigration". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- "Zinda Bhaag gets a red carpet premiere". DAWN. 19 September 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Pakistan sends official entry to Oscars after 50 years". Arab News. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "First Look: Long-awaited Zinda Bhaag unveils trailer - The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. 18 June 2013. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- "Movie Review: 'Zinda Bhaag'". Tribune. 22 September 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Zinda Bhaag: Get out while you can". Tribune. 13 October 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Zinda Bhaag wins four awards in Toronto festival". The News. 19 August 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Did you know?: Zinda Bhaag wins four awards in Canada". Tribune. 19 August 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- 1st ARY Film Awards#Awards
- 13th Lux Style Awards
- "'Zinda Bhaag's music is quintessentially Pakistani'". Tribune. 30 May 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Top 10 Pakistani songs of 2013". The Express Tribune. 19 December 2013. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Five cover songs of 2013 that blew us away". The Express Tribune. 19 December 2013. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "First Look: Long-awaited Zinda Bhaag unveils trailer". Tribune. 18 June 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Cinema: Zinda Bhaag gets a fall release date". Tribune. 7 August 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "'Zinda Bhaag' release delayed". DAWN. 31 August 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Did you know?: Zinda Bhaag gets delayed till September 20". Tribune. 30 August 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Zinda Bhaag to release in the US October 18". Tribune. 3 October 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Pakistani Film 'Zinda Bhaag' to Screen in Goa". IndiaWest. 14 November 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Pakistani film Zinda Bhaag may release in India". Firstpost. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Pakistani films need to be shown in India: Zinda Bhaag makers". Tribune. 29 October 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Zinda Bhaag is a hit at Abu Dhabi film fest". Hindustan Times. 29 October 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Zinda Bhaag coming to the UAE". Gulf News. 29 October 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Zinda Bhaag and Netflix". Dawn News. 4 January 2015. Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- "Complete Winners List of First ARY Films Awards". Pakistan Ultimade Media. 25 May 2014. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "ARY Film Awards 2014 - Complete Winners List". Brand Synario. 30 April 2014. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- "ARY Film Awards 2014 AFA14 Pictures and Winners". Style Pakistan. 28 April 2014. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Zinda Bhaag, the first Pakistani film in Oscars contention for 50 years, takes Lahore to Hollywood". The National. 19 October 2013. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- ""Zinda Bhaag" submitted for Oscar consideration". DAWN. 13 September 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Zinda Bhaag: This deserves an Oscar nod". Tribune. 19 September 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Review: 'Zinda Bhaag's' young Pakistanis dream of opportunity abroad". Los Angeles Times. 21 October 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "UPA vs PASC: The ruckus over Zinda Bhaag's Oscar recommendation". Tribune. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Naseeruddin Shah to attend Zinda Bhaag premiere in Dubai". NDTV Movies. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Manjusha Radhakrishnan (16 January 2014). "Film Review: Zinda Bhaag speaks to all". GulfNews.com. Retrieved 17 January 2014.