|Rabbi Lea Mühlstein|
The Zionist Federation of Great Britain and Ireland, also known as the British Zionist Federation or simply the Zionist Federation (ZF), is an umbrella organisation for the Zionist movement in the United Kingdom, representing more than 30 organisations and over 50,000 affiliated members. It was established in 1899 to campaign for a permanent homeland for the Jewish people.
The organisation was established in 1899 to campaign for a permanent homeland for the Jewish people.
In 1917, the British Foreign Secretary Sir Arthur Balfour communicated the Balfour Declaration to the leader of United Kingdom's Jewish community Lord Rothschild for transmission to the Zionist Federation.
Aims and objectives
It describes itself as "the UK's leading Israel advocacy and grassroots organisation" which "celebrates Israel and challenges our enemies."
Among its aims and objectives are to:
- Support, co-ordinate and facilitate the work of all its affiliates nationwide, and to continue its commitment to the Zionist youth movements.
- Encourage the participation of Jews in Zionist activities, including education, culture, Hebrew language and Israel information, underpinned by the belief that the main goal of Zionism is Aliyah.
Structure and personnel
The Zionist Federation is an umbrella organisation encompassing most of the Zionist organizations and individuals in the country and, as such, represents the Zionist movement in the United Kingdom.
As of early 2023, the chair is Rabbi Lea Mühlstein.
- David Lindo Alexander
- Federation of Zionist Youth
- Habonim Dror
- Jewish Labour Movement
- Israel lobby in the United Kingdom
- "Zionist Federation of Great Britain and Ireland - University of Leeds". Library. Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- "Zionist Federation". The Jewish Leadership Council. Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- Zieve, Tamara (25 October 2017). "World Zionist Organization finally responds to Lord Balfour in letter". The Jerusalem Post | JPost.com. Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- "100 years on, what the Balfour Declaration means for the Middle East today". The Independent. 31 October 2017. Archived from the original on 7 May 2022. Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- "About ZFUK". ZF. Retrieved 6 August 2019.
- "ZF | Zionist Federation of the United Kingdom and Ireland". ZFUK.
- "What we do". ZF. Retrieved 6 August 2019.
- Official website
- Official profiles, on YouTube and Twitter
- Zionist Year Book, by Arthur Saul and Zionist Federation Of Great Britain and Ireland Super