Zipit wireless messenger (Z2)
The Zipit wireless messenger is a small clamshell device originally produced by Aeronix, which is now under the spin-off Zipit Wireless, Inc., that enables Instant Messaging (AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, MSN Messenger). The newer Z2 also supports SMS while on Wi-Fi wireless networks. The Zipit Wireless Messenger received the iParenting Media Award in 2005 and the Zipit Z2 was awarded “DigitalLife 2007 Best of Show – Portable Gear” by PC Magazine. The Z1 was also recognized by the InnoVision Technology Awards as an award winner in the Technology Application category. They are $49.99.
On Sept. 27, 2007, Zipit Wireless introduced the Zipit wireless messenger 2 (Z2). It has
- full 2.8 inch QVGA color display
- backlit keyboard
- Mini-SD memory card slot
- MP3 player (MyTunez), streaming audio support
- a photo viewer (MyPhotoz)
- XScale PXA270 312 MHz processor
- 32 MB of SDRAM
- wifi 802.11b/g and now works with open, WEP, and WPA encrypted wireless networks.
- 1230 mAh Lithium-ion Polymer rechargeable battery.
A number of people have run Linux on the Z2. The most common implementation uses Debian with the Fluxbox window manager. This installation supports mouse emulation, the dillo web browser, pidgin, and other Linux programs.
- "Aeronix Inc. Announces Spin-Off Of Zipit Wireless Inc.".
- "iParenting Media Awards – Zipit Wireless Messenger By Aeronix".
- Rhey, Erik (28 September 2007). "Digital Life 2007– Best of Show". PC Magazine.
- "InnoVision Technology Awards Program".
- Geekcorps Mali noting the Zipit as low-cost device to deter the digital divide
- "Product details".
- "Linux IM pad beefs up, invites hacking". Archived from the original on 2013-01-27.
- Zipit home page
- Zipit linux community site
- Zipit details from ElkGroveWireless
- Zipit hacking from Karosium: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
- Zipit disassembly guide
- Zipit serial modification
- Zipit review, with excellent color photo.
- Zipit review
|This mobile computing related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|