This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Elevation||350 m (1,150 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Telephone code||+91-1762-XXX XXX|
|Vehicle registration||PB-65 (now discontinued) and PB-70|
Zirakpur is a satellite town, in Mohali District, Punjab, neighbouring Chandigarh in India. It is set on the foothills of Shivalik hills. It is part of the tehsil Dera Bassi. It is the gateway to Chandigarh from Delhi. It comprises mainly the following areas near Chandigarh Airport including VIP Road, Dhakoli, Lohgarh, Bhabat, Bishanpura, Kishanpura, Nabha, Gazipur, Baltana, Singhpura, Peer Muchalla and Dyalpura. This town is situated on the junction of national highways Himalayan Expressway, National Highway 5 (India) towards Shimla, Ambala Chandigarh Expressway towards Ambala and National Highway 7 (India) towards Patiala.
Areas in Zirakpur
- Dayalpura : The nearest area to the planned urban estate of Aerocity, IT city Mohali and Chandigarh International Airport. Poised to be the posh area of Zirakpur with many big projects in pipeline. The 200 ft wide planned road through Dayalpura would connect Zirakpur directly to Besttech tower chauk in Mohali near Chandigarh border, shortening the distance of whole Zirakpur. There is a large chunk of shaamlat (Municipal council) land, where govt has planned a Govt Medical College & hospital like GMCH 32. A top-class stadium for special sportspersons, a police station, a fire station, startup incubation centre, and a big municipal park are also planned here because of the need and demand. A new high end market with ample parking is going to come up on 82 ft wide that would connect 'High Ground Road' to Airport Road and Aerocity. The area is a leading destination in attracting real estate investments in Zirakpur. HighGround road is becoming the next VIP road.
- Chhat : The Chatbir Zoo (Mahinder Singh Zoological park) is famous all around northern India, and sees a large number of daily tourists.
- VIP Road
- Bhabat / Pabhat
- Peer Muchalla
Sectors in Zirakpur
Zirakpur has also been divided into 16 sectors. A sector map is yet to be put at different locations. It would be much help to people, but it would make difficult to manipulate wards with gerrymandering during elections.
The colonies and villages falling in each sector are as under:
- Sector 12: Lohgarh, Balaji Enclave 2, Defence Colony, Sigma City.
- Sector 1: Harmilapnagar (phase -1)
- Sector 9: Best Western Marryland, Best Price, Motiaz Royal Citi, Maya Garden Citi, The Decathlon
- Sector 16: Dayalpura
Zirakpur got its name from a small village, which is now a part of the present Zirakpur town. For long it remained a bunch of small villages located along the Chandigarh-Ambala highway. Then Chandigarh started to expand and these villages started to seem like a part of Chandigarh. Before the year 2000, the city had a population of less than twenty thousand. Soon a small village Baltana, which is a part of Zirakpur now, started having some population growth being near to Panchkula and Chandigarh. The upcoming 5500 acre GMADA Aerotropolis project near Dayalpura have increased the interest of investors in the region.
Public transport and traffic
Zirakpur is well connected through air-conditioned and non air-conditioned local buses with Chandigarh, Panchkula and other neighboring areas. The inter-state buses going from Chandigarh to Delhi, Patiala, Rajpura, Bathinda and most of the northern cities of Haryana pass through Zirakpur. Zirakpur is located on the Ambala-Chandigarh highway and the Patiala-Shimla highway. The nearest railway station is Chandigarh, which is around 7 km from Zirakpur. The nearest airport is situated in Chandigarh at around 5 km from Zirakpur.
The Municipal authorities Zirakpur have been under sharp criticism from the various resident associations of the area for not maintaining the roads and thereby leading to dangerous situations for the people commuting.
The process to divide Zirakpur into various sectors like Chandigarh has been initiated, as per latest Municipal Council meeting. There have been demand to name Zirakpur as "South Chandigarh", and sectors numbers starting from 201 onwards. This would give unique sector numbers to whole Tricity, with Panchkula sector numbers starting from 301 and Mullanpur sector numbers starting from 401, thus making addresses short and removing confusion arising of same sector numbers in adjoining towns.
Zirakpur has a number of small and medium-sized hospitals catering to its primary health needs. Though it still lacks the presence of any big govt. hospital, relative to its population. Thus for better healthcare a medical college & hospital is planned in Dayalpura. The one in Dhakoli is also being upgraded.
There's a SAI (Sports Authority of India) regional centre near Nabha Sahib. Upon completion it will cater to Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Chandigarh and Punjab. The SAI centre is spread across 15 acres and will have a football field, gymnasium hall, administrative block, indoor sports facilities and a six-lane athletics track. A big Sports Authority of India stadium for specially abled people is also coming up in Dayalpura 
Temples and Gurudwaras
Vishwakarma Temple, Sanatan Dharam Mandir, Gurudwara Naada Sahib, Gurudwara Lohgarh Sahib, Gurudwara Bauli Sahib, Shiv Mandir-Green City, Gurudwara nabha sahib, and Gurudwara Singpura sahidaa are here.
The Zirakpur Municipal Council has population of 95,553 of which 50,497 are males while 45,056 are females as per report released by Census India 2011. Population of children with age of 0–6 is 12074 which is 12.64% of total population of Zirakpur (M Cl). In Zirakpur Municipal Council, Female Sex Ratio is of 892 against state average of 895. Moreover, Child Sex Ratio in Zirakpur is around 855 compared to Punjab state average of 846. Literacy rate of Zirakpur city is 88.30% higher than state average of 75.84%. In Zirakpur, male literacy is around 91.36% while female literacy rate is 84.90%.
The town is organized into 31 wards which constitute the municipal council.
|Nº||Ward No||Name of municipal Councillor||Area/Colonies in Ward|
|Sh. Udayvir Singh Dhillon(President)|
|16||Narmial Singh||Chatt Village, Dayalpura|
|18||Tejinder Singh (Teji)||Lohgarh, Balaji Enclave 2, Sigma city 1 & 2, Skynet Enclave|
A white Bengal tiger at Chhatbir Zoo, Zirakpur
- Zirakpur Master Plan 2031
- Zirakpur Map on GMADA Website
- GIS map of GMADA Zirakpur master plan. Can be zoomed unlimited to find exact details like location of a master plan road in a khasra number etc.
- Official Municipal Council Website
- "Punjab's first ₹7cr, 50-bed Ayush Hospital to come up in Mohali". Hindustan Times. 15 November 2019. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- Kashiv, Ankit. "Distance of Zirakpur from Chandigarh Railway station". Flatooz.in. Retrieved 14 January 2021.
- "Zirakpur roads call for repair | Chandigarh News - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Zirakpur goes Chandigarh way, to get sector-wise layout in 2 months | Chandigarh News - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Sports Minister Rijiju inaugurates SAI's new Regional Centre in Zirakpur".
- "Finally, SAI centre to come up at Zirakpur".
- Skynet Enclave. Read more at: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/82594140.cms