Since 2015, Gurmai has been serving as Special Adviser on Gender Policy in Development Cooperation to European Commissioner for International Cooperation and Development Neven Mimica.
- 1983–1988. Karl Marx University of Economics (1983–1988); doctorate 1991.
- 1988–1990. Comporgan company, communications coordinator
- 1990–1992. Westel Rádiótelefon Kft., sales executive
- 1994–1995. Political History Institute, PR manager
- 1995–2002. Szelén Művelődési Tanácsadó Kft., manager
- From the 1990s she is active in civil society, sets up many foundations: Nők a valódi esélyegenlőségért Alapítvány (Women's Foundation for Genuine Equality), Nők a közéletben Alapítvány (Women in Public Life Foundation). Has drawn up many reports on equality and done research as organiser and co-author.
- 2002–2004. Member of the Hungarian Parliament, delegate to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly, delegate to the Central European Network, Observer in the European Parliament
- From 1993. Hungarian Socialist Party party member, in 1995. administrator, women's section
- From 1999. Vice-President, Socialist International Women
- From 2001. President, women's section
- From 2004. President, PES Women
- From 2018 to the present: Member of the Hungarian Parliament
She was married to Mihály Gulyás. Now divorced they have two sons, Mihály Balázs and Bálint Imre.
- "European Parliament – Zita Gurmai". European Parliament. Retrieved 2010-01-29.
- "Special advisers to the European Commission". European Commission.
- Origo. "Gulyásné Gurmai Zita vagyonnyilatkozata - 2003. február". www.origo.hu.