January 7, 1980 |
|Residence||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Alma mater||University of British Columbia
|Occupation||Television Personality and Producer|
|Known for||Co-host of ZeD
Co-host of Wired Science
Co-host of Nova
Co-host of Daily Planet
|Board member of||World Wide Fund for Nature Canada|
Ziya Tong (born January 7, 1980) is an English-born Canadian television personality and producer, currently the co-host of Discovery Channel's long-running primetime science magazine, Daily Planet.
Early life and education
She received her B.A. degree from the University of British Columbia in psychology and sociology. At McGill University, she graduated with an M.S. in communications and also majored in psychology.
After university, she worked as a reporter, and as a senior producer for the news-portal Orientation Global Networks in New York.
After ZeD, Tong was hired by CTV to host the television series Island Escapes, which premiered on January 6, 2006. Critic Denise Duguay called her a "lively and game travel host". In this position, she visited many exotic island locations, and highlighted the attractions of places such as New Caledonia, Bedarra Island and Fiji.
For three years, Tong co-hosted Daily Planet with science journalist Jay Ingram. When Ingram retired from the program in June 2011, Tong was joined by current co-host Dan Riskin and since, the show has generated record ratings as it completed its 18th season on Canadian television. Tong also writes and produces Ziyology,a weekly column looking at wonder and science.
Tong has travelled to more than 60 countries. She is fluent in English and Cantonese, she is working on her French, Mandarin and Arabic.
- 2004–2005: ZeD host
- 2006: "Island Escape" host
- 2007: "Leading Edge" host, Wired Science host and producer
- 2008-9: NOVA reporter, co-host
- 2008–present: Daily Planet co-host
- Denise Duguay, "Island tour too rushed," Leader Post, Regina, Saskatchewan: December 16, 2005, pg. F.3.
- Malcolm Parry, "Young soprano shows her bombshell style Archived March 22, 2016, at the Wayback Machine.," The Vancouver Sun, December 23, 2006, pg. B.4.
- Dana Gee, "ZeD on CBC a place for new ideas," The Province, Vancouver, B.C.: October 29, 2004, pg. B.9.
- "About Ziya Tong" Archived July 10, 2010, at the Wayback Machine., Daily Planet TV series website.
- "Wired Science Team: Ziya Tong". PBS. Archived from the original on 26 November 2011. Retrieved 27 October 2008.
- CBC Television, "Member Profile: Ziya Tong Archived January 10, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.," Zed Gallery, URL accessed 12 March 2007.
- "Great, watchable north: The 20th Gemini Awards gala honours the best in Canadian TV," National Post, November 19, 2005, pg. TO.42.F.
- "The Leading Edge" (PDF) (Press release). Knowledge Network. December 2007.
- Ziya Tong, "The New Weapon in the Border Guard Arsenal: the Dreaded Google Search" Wired Magazine: Issue 15.10: September 25, 2007 https://www.wired.com/politics/security/magazine/15-10/st_google
- Ziya Tong, "Correlations" https://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience/blogs/ztong.html
- CNW Group - Discovery Channel": January 26, 2009 http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/January2009/26/c2670.html
- "Watch video online". Discovery. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "My CMS - Discovery Canada’s Flagship DAILY PLANET Explodes with Biggest Ratings Week in 18 Years!". My CMS. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "The Last Word". Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Rosalind Duane. "Daily Planet host Ziya Tong makes her mark on Discovery Channel science series". North Shore News. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Sikka, Nisha, "People to Watch: Ziya Tong speaks about 25@25", Schema Magazine, January 2010.
- " "Ziya Tong: Sky Cranes and Electric Brains, "City Life" October 2, 2012
- " "Daily Planet host talks CES-2013", The GATE January 15, 2013