|Born||June 13, 2002|
|Organization||Happy Hen Animal Sanctuary|
Zoe Rosenberg (born c. 2002) is an American animal rights activist and the founder of Happy Hen Animal Sanctuary, a California-based sanctuary for abused and mistreated farmed animals. Rosenberg founded Happy Hen when she was 11 years old, and since then it has grown into a large animal sanctuary that has given homes to nearly 1000 animals from across California. Rosenberg also speaks on animal rights related issues, starting at 12 years old when she gave a keynote address at National Animal Rights Day (NARD) in San Francisco. At age 14, Rosenberg received national press attention following an action against the Los Angeles Dodgers on July 4, 2016 in protest of the treatment of animals related to the "Dodger Dogs" sold in the park. She and a few other activists ran onto the field during a game with banners and were arrested on live television.
In 2017, Rosenberg gave a TED talk at age 15, recounting her experience as a young animal activist. In 2017, Rosenberg was honored as Youth Activist of the Year at the Animal Rights National Conference (ARNC) in Washington DC. In 2018, Rosenberg was one of four finalists nationally for PETA's 13th Annual Young Animal Activist Of The Year award.
In 2018, Rosenberg was detained by police while protesting the slaughter of a pig at an on-campus slaughterhouse at California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly), drawing attention to the fact that animals were being routinely slaughtered at this public university. Later in 2018, she was arrested for chaining herself to a gate at a slaughterhouse, bringing awareness to what she believes are the ugly aspects of food production. Her protest and arrest was live-streamed on Facebook, the video watched by over 50,000 people while it was happening and many more after the fact.
Working with DxE (Direct Action Everywhere) and actor James Cromwell in 2018, Rosenberg helped lead the rescue of 100 turkeys from the Norbest slaughterhouse in Utah, many of which were taken to Happy Hen Animal Sanctuary in California.
In 2019, Rosenberg received national attention for conducting a high profile protest on live television during the NCAA Football National Championship Game in Levi Stadium. The protest was aimed at animal products sold in the stadium and the inhumane conditions at supplier facilities.
in 2019 Zoe Rosenberg was awarded the Paul McCartney Veg Advocate Award for her work as a young activist fighting for animal rights and founding an animal sanctuary, with special focus on her work to push Rose's Law, an Animal Bill of Rights.
In 2019 Rosenberg was arrested at Amazon office headquarters in San Francisco for super-gluing her hand to the front desk, in protest of the conditions at animal facilities that supply Whole Foods. The protest was live-streamed for two hours as police worked to remove her hand, drawing attention to the conditions at the facility and promoting Rose's Law.
- "San Luis Obispo 12-year-old becomes youngest animal rights activist to be recognized nationally".
- Alberts, Elizabeth Claire (April 17, 2016). "13-Year-Old Rescues Abandoned Ducks And Lets Them Splash Around In Her Bathtub".
- "Animal rights activists march in Hollywood - Park Labrea News/ Beverly Press". July 13, 2016.
- "Fifteen-year-old SLO activist fights for animals' lives - Mustang News". Mustang News. February 27, 2018. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- Lewis, Lauren (May 22, 2018). "WAN's Rescue of The Week Is "Happy Hen Animal Sanctuary" In Honor of International Respect for Chickens Month". World Animal News.
- "Home | Happy Hen Animal Sanctuary". Happy Hen Sanctuary. Retrieved October 21, 2019.
- "Activists storm field to protest hot dogs during Dodgers game". July 4, 2016.
- Flynn, Daniel J. (July 4, 2016). "UnAmerican! Animal Rights Activists Protest Dodger Dogs on Fourth of July Weekend". Breitbart. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
- "FOX: Activists storm field to protest hot dogs during Dodgers game". foxsports.com. FOX Sports. July 4, 2016.
- Cole, Alison (June 18, 2018). "A Spotlight on the Cruelty of Rodeos with the Vancouver Humane Society, and Activist Profile: Zoe Rosenberg". Animal Voices.
- Taking The Mound | Zoe Rosenberg | TEDxSanLuisObispo, retrieved September 4, 2019
- "TEDxSanLuisObispo 2017". tedxsanluisobispo.com.
- Jen. "Animal Rights National Conference". www.arconference.org.
- "Saturday Schedule". azvegfoodfest.com.
- ""WINNERS: PETAs 13th Annual Libby Awards!". features.peta2.com". PETA.
- "How a Goat Named Clyde Was Saved From the FFA". peta2. August 22, 2018. Retrieved September 14, 2019.
- Sheeler, Andrew (December 4, 2018). "Teen Activist tries to Save Pig from Slaughter House". SLO Tribune. Retrieved April 15, 2018.
- Sheeler, Andrew (April 26, 2018). "This animal rights activist has been arrested twice. She's only 15". The Tribune.
- "Police Arrest Teen Protester". Cal Coast News. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- "Teen Chains Herself to Gate outside Meat Processing Center". KSBY NEWS. April 23, 2018. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
- LESLIE, KAYTLYN LESLIE (April 23, 2018). "Teen Activist Arrested after Chained Sit-in". San Luis Obispo Tribune. Retrieved April 24, 2018.
- Schrum, Molly. "Activists protest slaughtering of cow at Meat Processing Center". Mustang News (California Polytechnic State University). Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- "SLO animal rights activist arrested after chaining herself in front of Cal Poly cow". sanluisobispo. Retrieved April 28, 2018.
- Chiorando, Maria (December 2018). "Vegan Actor James Cromwell To Rescue 100 Turkeys From Slaughterhouse". Plant Based News.
- "Utah Turkey Farm to release 100 birds to animal activists (KUTV)". KUTV News.
- "Holiday Survivors: 100 Turkeys Spared from Slaughter! - Jane Unchained News".
- Dent, Ellen. "All Smiles at Happy Hen Animal Sanctuary". Jane Unchained.
- "Day After Mass Arrests, Animal Activists Swarm SF City Hall to Ask for "Right to Rescue"". Indybay. Retrieved November 3, 2019.
- Morris, Joan. "16 Year Old Activist Dragged from Field at Levi Stadium". San Jose Mercury News.
- "Protest at Levi Stadium". East Bay Times.
- 2019, Sports Gossip Staff | (January 8, 2019). "Meet Zoe Rosenberg, the Woman Who Was Removed After Running Onto the Field at National Championship Game". Sports Gossip.
- "Home | Rose's Law". Roseslaw. Retrieved November 3, 2019.
- Hollan, Michael (September 30, 2019). "Whole Foods in San Francisco reportedly locked down by animal rights protesters". Fox News. Retrieved November 3, 2019.
- Morse, Jack. "Activists occupy Amazon office and put giant Jeff Bezos head on Whole Foods roof". Mashable. Retrieved November 3, 2019.