||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Chinese name||鄭惠玉 (traditional)|
|Chinese name||郑惠玉 (simplified)|
|Pinyin||Zhèng Huìyù (Mandarin)|
|Birth name||Tay Hui Gek|
10 January 1968 |
|Children||3 - Nathan Chionh (son)
Ashton Chionh (son)
Brayden Chionh (son)
Zoe Tay (born 10 January 1968) is a Singaporean actress and former supermodel. At the Star Awards 2004, Tay received the All-Time Favourite Artiste award. Tay is referred to as "Ah Jie" (senior actress) by the local media and fellow Mediacorp artists due to her status as the "Queen of Caldecott Hill". In April 2017, she was voted Singapore's "Favourite-est All-Time Favourite Artiste" in 8 Days magazine.
Tay started out as a model at the age of sixteen. In 1987, she was named Model of The Year. After Tay was crowned champion of the inaugural Star Search in 1988, she was offered a 3-year contract with the Singapore Broadcasting Corporation (SBC), now known as Mediacorp. While Tay had initially disliked acting, she began feeling passionate for her craft after her role in Crime and Passion in 1991. Her breakthrough performance as a materialistic young woman in Pretty Faces catapulted her into stardom. Her popularity was affirmed with a Top 10 Most Popular Female Artiste Award at the Star Awards every year for ten consecutive years since its inception in 1994. In 1996, Zoe won the Best Actress award for her role in The Golden Pillow at the annual Star Awards. In 2004, she was the first actress to have been awarded the prestigious All-Time Favourite Artiste Award.
Other than television dramas, Tay also forayed into films. In 2010, she starred opposite Hong Kong actor Kenny Ho in Love Cuts, playing the role of a terminally ill woman who has breast cancer. In 2013, she appeared in her first fully English-speaking role in Mister John with Irish star Aidan Gillen.
Tay has collaborated with many artistes in her various projects. Her on-screen chemistry with Li Nanxing in The Unbeatables and other serials has put them in the list of the Top 5 Best Onscreen Couples at the Star Awards 25th Drama Anniversary show. In 2015, she collaborated for the first time with Huang Biren, in The Dream Makers II.
Tay won her second Best Actress at the Star Awards 2017 for You Can Be An Angel 2, 21 years after her first. In an interview recently, she revealed that after her first win in 1996, she had contemplated quitting as she felt "strangely empty and lost". Instead, she enrolled in an acting class in New York, an experience which transformed her to "someone who is focused on improving my acting and who can be exemplary to other actors." Guiding her are three Chinese words from her father: 毅力 or perseverance, 耐力 or endurance , 勇气 or courage.
Tay is the sixth of seven children born to Teochew parents. She was three when her biological mother died in an accident. Her father remarried and had a daughter with Wong Pong Chin. Her father worked at a pig farm in Lim Chu Kang while her stepmother was a housewife. Tay attended the now-defunct Kay Hua Primary School and later, Yuan Ching Secondary School, where she completed her O-level examinations. She studied design at the Baharuddin Vocational Institute.
When she was 13, she thought of using "Jenny" as her Christian name as people pronounced her hanyu pinyin surname Zheng as "Jenny". However her siblings didn't like it. She later found the name "Zoe" in a dictionary.
She is fluent in Mandarin, Teochew and Cantonese.
|1988||窈窕淑女 My Fair Ladies|
|奇缘之怨偶天成 Strange Encounters II|
|亲心唤我心 A Mother's Love|
|1990||出人头地 Finishing Line|
|1991||最后一个大侠 The Last Swordsman|
|三面夏娃 Pretty Faces|
|1992||霹雳红唇 Ladies In Action|
|执法先锋 Crime and Passion|
|戏剧人生 Terms of Endearment|
|1993||暴雨狂花 Angel of Vengeance|
|卿本佳人 Ride The Waves|
|双天至尊 The Unbeatables|
|欢喜冤家 Happy Foes|
|1994||惊天大阴谋 Thunder Plot|
|爱情定金(电视电影) Love Dowry|
|聪明糊涂心 Truly Yours|
|一号凶宅 Shadow In the Dark|
|1995||潮洲家族 Teochew Family|
|甜甜屋(电视电影) Love Knows No Bounds|
|金枕头 Golden Pillow|
|1996||杀之恋 (电视电影) Pointed Triangle|
|妈姐情缘 A Different Life|
|双天至尊II The Unbeatables II|
|1997||101老婆之老婆柠檬茶 My Wife, Your Wife, Their Wives|
|富贵双城 Love in A Foreign City|
|长河 Rising Expectations|
|迷情专访(电视电影) The Scoop|
|1998||神雕侠侣 Return of the Condor Heroes|
|卫斯理传奇 The New Adventures Of Wisely|
|1999||另类佳人 Lost Soul|
|千年虫 'The Millennium Bug|
|2000||家事 My Home Affairs|
|2001||世纪攻略 The Stratagem|
|大酒店 The Hotel|
|2002||加东 Miss Oh Katong Miss Oh|
|双天至尊III The Unbeatables III|
|2003||PCK Pte Ltd V 鬼马家族V|
|我家四个宝 Baby Boom|
|2004||跑吧男人 Man at 40|
|野蛮亲家 My Mighty In Laws|
|2006||闲妻靓母 Lady of Leisure|
|百万宝 A Million Treasures|
|2008||绝对佳人 La Femme|
|不凡的爱 By My Side|
|2013||The Dream Makers
|2015||You Can Be An Angel Too
|The Dream Makers II
|You Can Be An Angel 2
|2017||While We Are Young
|2018||A Million Dollar Dream
- 真心真意携手同行－柬埔寨之旅 With Heart And Soul - Cambodia Trip
- 奇趣搜搜搜－印度之旅 Travel Hunt - India
- 歌舞欢腾迎新喜2002 Lunar New Year All Stars Variety 2002
- 一切由慎开始 Health Matters
- 真心真意蒙古之行 Journey Across Mongolia 2003
- 一切由慎开始II Health Matters II
- 惠眼看世界 Wonders of the World
- 真心真意莱索托之行 Journey Across Lesotho
- 我爱我家之真情实录 Chronicles of Life
- 惠眼看世界II Wonders of the World II
- 阿姐有喜了 Zoe's Mommy Tips
- 阿姐有个宝 Queen Zoe's Treasure Trove
- Ladies Nite 女人聚乐部
- 梁婆婆重出江湖(友情客串) Liang Po Po The Movie (special appearance)
- 孩子.树 The Tree
- 割爱 Love Cuts
- Mister John
Awards and nominations
|Star Awards – Acting Awards|
|1995||Best Actress||Love Dowry||Nominated|
|1996||Best Actress||The Golden Pillow||Won|
|1997||Best Actress||A Different Life||Nominated|
|1998||Best Actress||The New Adventures of Wisely||Nominated|
|1999||Best Actress||Lost Souls||Nominated|
|2000||Best Actress||My Home Affairs||Nominated|
|2001||Best Actress||The Strategem||Nominated|
|2003||Best Actress||Baby Boom||Nominated|
|2016||Best Actress||The Dream Makers II||Nominated|
|2017||Best Actress||You Can Be An Angel 2||Won|
Star Awards - Popularity Awards
|1994||Top 10 Most Popular Female Artistes||Won|
Star Awards - Popularity Awards
|2004||All Time Favourite Artiste Award||N/A||Won|
|2014||Favourite Female Character||The Dream Makers||Nominated|
|2016||Toggle Celebrity BFF Award (with Chen Hanwei)||N/A||Nominated|
- Loh, Aretha (17 June 2015). "Zoe Tay on why she's not afraid of growing old". Her World. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- Tay, Mervin; Whang, Rennie; Tan, Judith (15 June 2013). "MediaCorp veterans blast young actors for being rude". The New Paper.
- Fam, Jonathan (11 January 2017). "Zoe Tay Shows Us Why She'll Always Be The Queen of Caldecott Hill". 8 Days.
- Lee, Jocelyn (12 April 2017). "And The Favourite-est All-Time Favourite Artiste Is....". 8 Days.
- Chan, Ilsa (23 October 2014). "Zoe Tay 'surprised' by her wax figure at Madame Tussauds". Toggle. Retrieved 2017-06-12.
- "Zoe Tay's wax double - TODAYonline". YouTube. 22 October 2014. Retrieved 2017-06-12.
- Yun, Daniel (14 May 2017). "Understanding Zoe Tay's enduring appeal". Today. Retrieved 2017-05-22.
- Tan, Sumiko (21 May 2017). "Lunch With Sumiko: Zoe Tay on motherhood, her mum, and how she once called herself Jenny". The Straits Times. Retrieved 2017-05-22.
- Ejlersen, Jeanette (29 January 2015). "EXPERT ADVICE: Timeless wedding tips from Zoe Tay". Her World. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- Chua, Charlene (20 January 2013). "Zoe wants Baby No. 4 but...". Asiaone. Retrieved 2016-11-14.