Skyline of Zoeterwoude
Location in South Holland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Liesbeth Bloemen (CDA)|
|• Total||21.96 km2 (8.48 sq mi)|
|• Land||21.26 km2 (8.21 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.70 km2 (0.27 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−2 m (−7 ft)|
|Population (December 2013)|
|• Density||380/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Zoeterwoude ([ˌzutərˈʋʌudə] ( )) is a municipality in the western Netherlands, in the province of South Holland. The municipality covers 21.96 km2 (8.48 sq mi) of which 0.70 km2 (0.27 sq mi) is water. It had a population of 8,074 in 2013.
The name Zoeterwoude is first mentioned in a document from 1205, which references a certain "Florentius van Sotrewold". It is uncertain if this is a reference to the village. The first confirmed existence is from 1276 when Dirk van Santhorst received the "Soetrewold" fiefdom from Floris V, Count of Holland.
Its municipal boundaries were set circa 1300. At that time it was one of the largest municipalities in the Netherlands, but later much land was annexed by surrounding cities, notably Leiden. In 1450, the first bridge between Leiderdorp and Zoeterwoude was built. In 1574, Zoeterwoude was burnt to the ground and its polders inundated by Leideners in order to increase the range of the city's cannons. Almost no inhabitants remained in Zoeterwoude.
Around 1650, Zoeterwoude had been almost rebuilt and 50 years later it was prospering. After 1800, Leiden started a long series of annexations, reducing the land area of Zoeterwoude.
In 1960, the A4 motorway was built and since 1966 it has been the municipal boundary between Leiden and Zoeterwoude.
Notable people born in Zoeterwoude
- Suzanne de Goede (born 1984), cyclist
- Harm Kamerlingh Onnes (1893–1985), artist
- Paul van Kempen (1893–1955), violinist and conductor
- Jeroen Straathof (born 1972), cyclist and speed skater
- Bram van Velde (1895–1981), fine-art painter
- "Collegeleden" [Members of the board] (in Dutch). Gemeente Zoeterwoude. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Postcodetool for 2381ET". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 23 December 2013. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zoeterwoude.|
|Alphen aan den Rijn|